Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Vikings reinstate AP

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The difference is that there is a general consensus that physical violence against an intimate partner is unallowable. (Even the few people still defending Rice lean on the self-defense, she-struck-first, both-sides were-culpable arguments. No one is saying he had the right to hit her. [No doubt there are some troglodytes out there that think this, but even they know better than to say it out loud.]) What he did was qualitatively wrong.

With AP, as Barkley pointed out, there's not the same consensus. There are still parents that believe they have the right to inflict corporal punishment on their children, and do so. AP's actions in their view were if anything quantitatively wrong--he may have switched the child too hard & too often but his intention to discipline & even his method of disciplining were not the problem.
    I understand what you're saying, and this comment is not meant to be directed at you, but in response to the information you're presenting: I find that to be a bunch of bullshit. The people who hold those views are hypocrites. If it's unacceptable to do something to one person, it is unacceptable to do it to ANY person. That's my honest belief, and I doubt that anything anyone says can change it.

Re: AP to play this week

My take is that people went so bananas about Rice that once everything actually came to a head and he was thoroughly vilified and mostly ruined, they realized they maybe gone a bit overboard and are looking to be a bit more measured in the future.

Re: AP to play this week

Mods ... Can we get a merge?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The problem I have is that there is so much hypocrisy in the public with these cases. Either they all need to die at the hands of an angry mob, or they all need to be left alone to the judgment of the courts and their employer.
    Byngo!

For lack of a better explanation, it feels like ripping Ray Rice for punching an attractive woman is the "in" thing to do. Most people could give a shit about Janay and domestic violence. Hearing about AP beating a 4 year old just doesn't have that sexy appeal. It's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and this comment is not meant to be directed at you, but in response to the information you're presenting: I find that to be a bunch of bullshit. The people who hold those views are hypocrites. If it's unacceptable to do something to one person, it is unacceptable to do it to ANY person. That's my honest belief, and I doubt that anything anyone says can change it.
    Really? So you don't see the difference between a child and a grown woman? There is NO REASON to treat them differently in any situation?

I wonder what kind of legal options the Ravens have in this scenario. The NFL front office botched the situation with our star running back, and now he's gone. From a fairness standpoint, how is it the Vikings still get to keep their star running back when we're all competing for the same prize? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it the Giants owner that raised a stink about the Washington Football Club and the Cowboys going over the 'gentlemen's handshake agreement' salary cap in an uncapped year? Can a team force the NFL into some sort of standard reaction to these sorts of situations that make sense? I just wanted to deviate from a right/wrong conversation about what AP did (FWIW, I'm on the 'he is wrong' side of the conversation) and discuss how the NFL should show some parity in their decision making.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    I think the big deal here is that the Vikings chose to sit AP.
    They chose to take the moral high ground and are not backing off that.
    Certainly makes that whole Cris Carter rant look dumb.
    Sure, they chose to do something about it initially until they realized their team sucks without AP in the mix.

The Vikings reinstating him is more about the Vikings wanting to win than them (or the NFL) needing to take a stronger stance on child abuse or domestic violence.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm wondering what a 4 year old could have done to warrant that kind of punishment. He whipped the shit out of that poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Really? So you don't see the difference between a child and a grown woman? There is NO REASON to treat them differently in any situation?
    So you're saying that there exists physical violence that would NEVER be acceptable against a woman, but that you would deem acceptable against a CHILD? Is that what you're implying with your question to me, or am I misunderstanding the point you're trying to make?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He was reactivated, not reinstated. Small point of correction but it means a world of difference in football circles.

:word

I think he's guilty of what he did and find what he did abhorrent but we've just witnessed how messed up this league can get when they do not allow due process to players.
    Absolutely and the NFL needs to be careful with these types of things.

The way the handled Ray Rice is going to come back on them, I'm almost positive of it.

The NFL or an NFL team can't levy a punishment onto a player that has yet to be found guilty of anything. Doing so will get them - rightfully IMO - sued and will be a huge black eye on the league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Due process =/= a right to be employed
    Ding ding, EFFIN Ding!

If the Vikings cared about this, they'd just flat out cut AP; or deactivate him until he has his day in court.

The Ravens probably would have done the same thing with Rice, but he entered into NJ's diversionary program within a month or so of the incident thereby giving the NFL the authority (as per their CBA) to levy a punishment.

Blog Entries

Forget the football for a minute. Will Adrian Peterson got to jail over this? There are people in Texas who have gotten jail time for stealing a pack of cigarettes. If this really is child abuse won't he end up behind bars?