Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Shazier vs Mosley

Quote Originally Posted by Balbirdsfan View Post
    Both need a Full off season in the weight room though, because they both give ground on tackles.

This
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Both are going to be really good IMHO...it's too early to say who will be better.

I will say though that the reasons we are giving for Shazier struggling inside are probably the same issues the staff has with Brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    In no way am I saying that either will come close to either. But Mosley seems more like a Ray Lewis type LB, while Shazier seems like a Brian Ulracher type player...
    To summerize, brains and talent vs talent and measurables.

Blog Entries

Here's Film Study's coments on MOsley:

Mosley had a mixed night with some highly visible contributions combined with difficulty shedding blocks on several of the Steelers big plays. Foster took him out on the 10-yard screen right to Miller (Q2, 7:13). Beachum blocked him effectively on Bell’s 21-yard run right (Q2, 5:18). His position appeared to have impacted the trajectory of Roethlisberger’s incomplete to Wheaton (Q4, 10:41) on which he was credited with a PD, but did not touch the ball. He delivered the FF and FR to strip Miller and effectively end the game (Q4, 14:11).

Figured there would be a thread on the flip side of this argument. Of course they're backing their boy, but some are reasonable in their assessment. This is infact the defensive version of Ryan vs Flacco debate.

http://steelernation.com/showthread....ley-vs-Shazier

6. Re: Shazier vs Mosley

Mosely is living up to his draft status which is nice to see from a 'Bama (defensive) pick for a change.

Blog Entries

I remember thinking a few years back that the key phrase in the future for NFL defenses was going to be flexibility, in the sense that if your players were flexible enough to take on a variety of different roles you could sow confusion in the minds of the offense because no one could be quite sure who on the other side would be doing what.

So you have OLBs who are variously edge rushers, edge setters, or covering receivers near the LoS. You have ILBs who aren't that much bigger than a strong safety but who can cover receivers releasing off the line--& in theory could swap assignments with a larger SS as he cheats up toward the line. You have safeties fast & mobile enough to cover slot receivers like a nickel CB...

All the beef in the world up front isn't going to keep the QB safe when no one knows where the rush is coming from. All the moves in the world aren't going to get a WR open if the QB doesn't know who's in coverage.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Figured there would be a thread on the flip side of this argument. Of course they're backing their boy, but some are reasonable in their assessment. This is infact the defensive version of Ryan vs Flacco debate.

http://steelernation.com/showthread....ley-vs-Shazier
    I actually read that and it provided an interesting perspective. It brings up an interesting question. Do we feel the Brown/Mosley combination would be significantly different from the Timmons/Shazier combination, which Steelernation posters seem to think isn't the best?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I actually read that and it provided an interesting perspective. It brings up an interesting question. Do we feel the Brown/Mosley combination would be significantly different from the Timmons/Shazier combination, which Steelernation posters seem to think isn't the best?
    That's a good point. You better have a good edge setter if you are going with 2 lightweight inside linebackers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's a good point. You better have a good edge setter if you are going with 2 lightweight inside linebackers.
    I thought about it yesterday when I first read steelernation.com and it gave me pause, because you can tell this is what Ozzie and John are trying to do with Mosley and Brown. For much of the off-season, posters kept thinking that Mosley was eating into Brown's PT. When all along it was Smith.

If I were to think about it, they have the pieces now, but if one piece falls out of place, it could go south quickly. They have Ngata and Williams up front, a strong combination of youth, experience and sheer power. They have Suggs and Upshaw and even though Suggs doesn't set the edge the way he used to, you'd still be hard-pressed to find a better edge setting combo out there. However, they need two big bodies up front and both edge setters. So they'd better make sure the depth is legit.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore