Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Milk carton: Marlon Brown...??????

This offense is going to take what you give them.

Torrey is a guy who can burn you for 7pts from anywhere on the field in one play. When teams get tired of dying a death of a thousand cuts and try to take that away, then Torrey will see the ball more. Combine that with his average to below average route running ability, that's why Torrey has been missing.

Gone are the days were Joe has two targets that he has to always try to thread the ball to. He has options in this offense and is encouraged to use them
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Where is Juice? He was used effectively in preseason - then nothing in regular season.
    That IMO is a function that the Ravens seem to feel that going with the 2TE, 2WR and one back set is their best option.

If your going with one back its gonna be a guy who has demonstrated ability to block and Juice has not shown that yet. He will get some looks I am sure later, especially if one of the TE's is gimpy.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    This offense is going to take what you give them.

Torrey is a guy who can burn you for 7pts from anywhere on the field in one play. When teams get tired of dying a death of a thousand cuts and try to take that away, then Torrey will see the ball more. Combine that with his average to below average route running ability, that's why Torrey has been missing.

Gone are the days were Joe has two targets that he has to always try to thread the ball to. He has options in this offense and is encouraged to use them

I agree that this offense will execute in the passing gm what is available from the opponent (assuming Flacco sees the entire field that particular day).

In a Kubiak offense that has multiple TEs that can perform (Pitta & Daniels in our case) and also a good complete wideout (Steve Smith) and solid efficient running game the touches for some of the other skillguys may not be as much as they'd like. Wideout talents like Torrey & Jacoby Jones and even Marlon Brown may not get utilized as fully as they would on other teams -- atleast until opponents make the conscious move to limit our TEs or Steve Smith or the running game (which will open up things for Torrey and others to be productive).

All in all it is about the TEAM being efficient. If Owen Daniels catches two TDs in this game, that's fine by me. Tomorrow it may be someone else. It all depends on what's available...

as it was said before, we'll attempt to take what is given.

C DiP
    Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!

Blog Entries

Speaking of Torrey, guys on radio said he only knows about 4
    routes in this offense. He is more like an after thought. There
    was one play when we didn't score on that last goal line stand
    where JJ was wide open in the end zone and Joe didn't see him.
    Didn't even look to his right as he over threw over the middle.

I think Marlon will see more redzone targets as we go through the season. He might have seen more yesterday in the redzone possessions that we settled for FG's on late in the game had the score been closer and a TD outweighed the benefit of milking the clock and getting 3.

With Torrey, I hate to say it as I love the guy but I agree with the poster who said that we'll have a decision to make on him come contract time. He just doesn't get open enough, and while that will likely improve, particularly with teams looking to shut the twin TE's down, if it came to a choice between Jimmy and Torrey, it's a pretty easy call.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    He seems to be #4 receiver now and Kubiak prefers 2 TE sets so he won't get much playing time
    It doesn't look like he's even #4. Aiken had more catches, targets and total plays then Marlon in the Bengal game. I'll have to rewatch last nights game but I don't remember Marlon at all.

Blog Entries

Torrey Smith is a player who averages over 17 ypc. That's because he has been Flacco's deep threat since he got here. Now he's asked to do more. The Ravens aren't going to launch the ball down deep 15 times a game. Until Torrey Smith can figure out how to get open without just running straight down field he's going to struggle.

Marlon Brown just doesn't seem to be on the field that much. Corner fades thrown to Steve Smith are exactly where they should be using Brown. I seems like Kubiak has a tight rotation and when you are the #4 and they use a lot of double TE sets you're just not going to see the field. Hopefully Brown moves up while Jacoby Jones move down in the rotation as the season goes on.

Perhaps the Steelers are scratching their heads over the same questions this morning.

Blog Entries

The defense gave them slants and crossing routes and they took it. Lots of TE passes, slot and running back outlet passes. They took what was there and it worked perfectly. Marlon will get time as the season goes on. Jacoby didn't actually do anything either.

Joe only threw the ball 29 times, keep in mind. Ten of those were to Steve Smith so it doesn't leave a lot to go around

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I was more surprised with week 1 and the playing time Aiken got. But think Brown had a ankle problem if I'm not mistaken. Could be the reason for his limited snaps. He'll get his. But Kubes runs mostly 2 TE sets and/or 3 WR.

Blog Entries

ill ask where marlon is when Joe isnt completing 70%+ of his passes with Torrey not even being one of them.
    -JAB

I think we'll start to see Marlon more in the red zone. While I love me some Steve Smith Sr., his height came into play a couple times in the end zone Thursday where a bigger receiver would have been a better target IMO.