Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ed Reed is saying we lack leadership and suggests we should sign him to give that leadership

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...ens-leadership

"I think the whole team has to rally around themselves as a group," Reed said. "They have to talk among themselves and say this is our team at the end of the day. It's not the organization so much the people upstairs. It has to be the team that sticks up."

Asked who in the locker room can say those exact words, Reed said, "I'm sitting right here with y'all."
    Would you bring him back?

Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed is saying we lack leadership and suggests we should sign him to give that leadership

I've advocated bringing him back on a 1-yr deal since the Texans nixed him.

Not as a specific starter, but as a solid role player and someone who could really offer good practices for Elam, Hill, Brooks, and Stewart.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Ed Reed is saying we lack leadership and suggests we should sign him to give that leadership

In the words of Zapp Branagan, the heart is willing, but the body is spongy and bruised.

I'm sure he still has the smarts and passion to play, but he can't physically play the position anymore, at least now how he would like to. And it's not like we'd be adding to him to a "good" defense either, exactly. I appreciate him, but no.

Also, to ask that way is kinda desperate. He could do better.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

I'd pay him as a motivational consultant but his days as a player are over. I can't blame Ed Reed for trying though. It's tough to accept that it's over especially when you were one of the best to ever play at your position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd pay him as a motivational consultant but his days as a player are over. I can't blame Ed Reed for trying though. It's tough to accept that it's over especially when you were one of the best to ever play at your position.
    I agree.

Much like when the Ravens kicked the tires on Deion back in the day though, I think Ed Reed could offer quite a bit as a player/coach rather than signing him back to be a guy who is on the field for every snap.

I'd also be very interested in Champ Bailey for the exact same reasons.

Imagine the information that Reed could impart with Elam and Brooks?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Only if he can play corner.

Seriously, though, the Ravens need to let the guys already on the roster do the leading. If they bring Ed back, it's a vote of "no confidence" in every one of the veterans.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

If Reed is okay with only being a situational player, then I'd be fine with it. Like others have said, he'd be a great mentor and I feel he'd be better than Suggs or Ngata with getting the defense pumped up and ready to go. But if he wants to start or get significant time I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    In the words of Zapp Branagan, the heart is willing, but the body is spongy and bruised.
    "Kif, go wash my #20 jersey while I once again prepare to save the universe!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree.

Much like when the Ravens kicked the tires on Deion back in the day though, I think Ed Reed could offer quite a bit as a player/coach rather than signing him back to be a guy who is on the field for every snap.

I'd also be very interested in Champ Bailey for the exact same reasons.

Imagine the information that Reed could impart with Elam and Brooks?
    Ed Reed is one of my all time favorites but he looked horrible with the Jets. He was so desperate to make plays that guys would blow right by him on easy plays. Fans would turn on him after his 1st game.

If I thought that Reed could give us a Charles Woodson type performance I'd all for this. I didn't see too many Texans games but I did see all the Jets games last year and Reed was nowhere near that level. He just can't figure out how to adjust to his current level of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    If Reed is okay with only being a situational player, then I'd be fine with it. Like others have said, he'd be a great mentor and I feel he'd be better than Suggs or Ngata with getting the defense pumped up and ready to go. But if he wants to start or get significant time I'd pass.
    I don't think players will really listen to other players if they are washed up. If a guy goes out there and gets embarrassed time after time, even if he only plays in practice, it's hard to take what he's saying seriously. Ray and Ed were still effective players in 2012, and hence good leaders. But now, I don't think Ed could pull it off.

Blog Entries

somebody in that locker room need to do what Ed just said, come together offense, defense special teams have a players only meeting somone need to stand up and emerge as a leader of the team, a clear cut leader like Ray was. Outside of Steve Smith I don't see anyone on the team that is like that, Joe needs to be that guy but thats just not his make up, Suggs should have been the heir to leadership but he clowns too much, someone needs to step up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I don't think players will really listen to other players if they are washed up. If a guy goes out there and gets embarrassed time after time, even if he only plays in practice, it's hard to take what he's saying seriously. Ray and Ed were still effective players in 2012, and hence good leaders. But now, I don't think Ed could pull it off.
    I think his reputation will matter more than anything. These young kids know he's one of the greatest ever to play their position. Maybe he doesn't have the speed he used to, but he still knows all kinds of techniques and different ways to play the position that he can show them, and I think they'd want to learn from one of the best.