Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: NFL returning to LA?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I thought Mark Davis and Oakland were negotiating for a new stadium?
    My understanding is that they are close to striking a deal.

http://newballpark.org/2014/09/03/qu...-raiders-deal/

It's pretty ironic how in the four major sports leagues, all of the leagues except for the NFL have at least two teams in LA, while the NFL has no teams in LA. I think that the most logical thing to do would be to build one luxurious mega stadium, and try to work it so that two teams are brought in at the same time. And that way you don't have a team with a dominant fanbase while the other one is a joke (by starting at the same time). I'd like to see relocations though. I think that 32 is a perfect number, and 33 or 34 would screw that up. Imagine having an odd number of teams, and requiring at least one team to have byes in week 1 and week 17. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    It's pretty ironic how in the four major sports leagues, all of the leagues except for the NFL have at least two teams in LA, while the NFL has no teams in LA. I think that the most logical thing to do would be to build one luxurious mega stadium, and try to work it so that two teams are brought in at the same time. And that way you don't have a team with a dominant fanbase while the other one is a joke (by starting at the same time). I'd like to see relocations though. I think that 32 is a perfect number, and 33 or 34 would screw that up. Imagine having an odd number of teams, and requiring at least one team to have byes in week 1 and week 17. Yuck.
    The NBA is so big there with the Clippers and the Lakers, they are looking at a 3rd team, perhaps in Anaheim where the Clippers almost moved before they went to the Staples Center.

I think we all agree the NFL honchos want a team in LA, so it's inevitable. What's best for The League might not necessarily be what's best for an individual team/owner. I suspect they hoped Modell would go to LA, don't know that he ever considered it.
    I think they (Los Angelenos) got tired of the Rams. LA has the same problem as Miami and Seattle (they lost the MLB Pilots back in the day); they have good weather and lots of stuff to do, so a pro sports team is just another option. They were there since 1946ish so I guess they never imagined them leaving (ahem).
    I don't think the Coliseum is a good facility, but I don't have firsthand knowledge.
    I can't imagine expansion, unless they get real ambitious and add 8 teams (five per division) with a new Eurpean division (London, Paris, Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam) and three new US teams (San Antonio and LA or to replace whomever moves to LA.)
    not sure, but Jacksonville doesn't have a MLB, NBA or NHL team, right?
    Last edited by sailorsam; 09-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's the same speculation we've had for a decade until someone actually builds a stadium in LA. The NFL has proven they don't need to be in LA so the league isn't financing any stadiums.
    +1. It's going to take a lot of coin, and it isn't coming from the NFL or a taxpayer initiative.

I had not heard about Kreonke buying land and setting up a privately financed deal, though. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I hate team movement but the Jaguars need to move, that city does not support that team.
    Unlikely. Jaguars attendance actually isn't as bad as some report--they haven't been blacked out since 2009.

People make a lot of hay about the tarps, but honestly it does make sense. Without the tarps, the stadium would seat something like 78,000--far too large for a small market like Jacksonville. (The stadium was built large for the Florida-Georgia game) The tarps bring capacity down to a more reasonable 67,000.

Plus the owner, Shad Khan, just put a whole bunch of money into stadium upgrades, including installing he largest scoreboard in the league. Apparently Khan's become something of a cult figure in Jacksonville, despite the fact he gave away several home games to London.

And if UCF grad Blake Bortles does take off as QB, expect a lot of enthusiasm from the fans. Fans love a local success story (which is why many were clamoring to sign Tim Tebow to the team, to no avail.) Reportedly training camp attendance this year set team records just to see Bortles practice.

Jacksonville's still one of the smallest markets in the league, but attendance problems there--while not completely imagined--have been far overstated. The Rams, Raiders and Chargers are far more likely to be relocation candidates at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
    I think the Chargers will get new stadium in San Diego.
    I saw a Saturday afternoon preseason game that was Nationally televised and I could swear the announcers were handed a script shilling for a stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Greg, CY and I have been to many games in JAX and they cover large sections of
    the upper deck so it doesn't look bad on TV and they won't get a TV black out. The Nests took a boat ride after one game and the DJ said the Jags will be in LA and
    that was 9 years ago. I'm surprised they're still there. Weaver didn't move the
    team but he sold it after that. He couldn't wait to get out.

It's a truck stop and the old Gator Bowl. Tags chose that ancient stadium over
    ours just to keep Bmore out of the league. The NFL got what it deserved.

I'll say one thing, JAX beach is one of the best kept secrets on the East Coast,
    a small but beautiful beach with good restaurants.

I first met Mista T and Greg there. It was my first road game back in 98 and
    I was by myself since the Nests didn't go. I got there on Wed and came in
    from the beach oN Fri around 3 pm and the hotel was completely taken over
    by the Roosts of Glen Burnie and Annapolis West. T's room was next to mine
    and he walked out and we started talking. He knew my handle from an
    original Ravens board RavensTalk.com, so we knew each other from the
    board and we traveled all over the country together for the next decade.
    Funny story about JAX beach.. Went to a bar a couple years back called Freebird Live. Sat down and ordered a drink. At the time I didn't even think about the name of the bar being named after the Skynyrd song and Skynyrd being from there. So anyway, I'm looking at some pictures behind the bar and made a comment about a picture of the hair styles from the 70's to this burnout guy sitting next to me. About that time the owner of the place comes out and starts berating an employee about something and then storms to the back. I look at the burnout guy and said, "sheesh.. what's her problem". Burnout guy stands up and says, "Show some respect!! That's Ronnie Van Zant's widow!". I kind of gave the guy a "WTF?" look and then went back to my beer. He leaves and the female bartender comes over and apologizes and says, "Sorry about that.. he's my stalker". Then she tells me that her name is Melody and Ronnie was her dad and that the burnouts from Jacksonville come in there to stalk her and her mother. LOL!