26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need to groom a quality QB for future

9 34.62%
  • No, we have enough firepower in the roster

4 15.38%
  • It's too early to say anything

13 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should Ravens draft a QB in 2008 draft?

I voted yes. I think the philosiphy should be to always try to find the next Tom brady at QB in rounds 5-7. Obviously BPA is the way to go in the early rounds and if a stud just happened to drop to the Ravens Ozzie would probably pull the trigger. But I think they should always be looking to find someone better than your current #3 QB. And you just might find a Brady or Romo.
    Section 106 from start to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman07 View Post
    Best player available....if it's a QB.....so be it.
    it's worked pretty well so far. funny, though, how in the last two years, when the Ravens needed help on the lines, the BAPs were Ngata and Grubb.:)
    I'd think, why not go in the FA market?
    while we're discussing qbs...I suspect Derek Anderson will be benched by the end of next season. some of us are old enough to remember Steve DeBerg, who put up some good numbers and won some games for the 49ers before too many picks led him to be replaced by Joe Montana. Methinks the Brownies have too much invested in Brady Quinn not to start him. But I do think Derek A has proven himself to be a legit NFL qb.
    ...and Chris Redman might be available...
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Too early to tell. If we can get a legitimate prospect like Andre Woodson, Matt Ryan, or Brian Brohm, yes, go for it. Unfortunately, we probably aren't going to have that chance, unless we have a poor second half.

The other guys, like Brennan, Henne, Booty, etc, I don't take the chance. None of them are sure thing, can't miss guys. Most likely scenario - keep McNair, Boller, and Smith. Give Smith another year to hone his skills, then reassess following 2008, when Boller is scheduled to be a FA and McNair will probably be done. Then you make the decision, re-sign Boller, can Smith start, can Smith be a capable backup, do you need to draft a QB, etc. Not this year, IMO.

I'm withholding judgment on everyone's favorite QB until he plays Va-Tech. Then I think we'll have a lot better judgment.

Others all depend, I think Brennan getting hurt really messed him up.

Course all of this depends on the offense playing to win and score all the points they can instead of playing scared like has been happening all year.

Also, apparently this year the Texas Tech QB might have all the tools to be a real NFL QB outside the system down there.

It's really too early to tell with a lot of this.....but as a first pass here is my not so great opinion.

#1 Woodson
    #2 Brohm (just not as good as last year)
    #3 Ryan (I want to see what he does against Va Tech)

After this it's really a wash though.....I don't want Henne or Booty, period.

Brohm's still perfectly good. He's still getting yardage, he's still getting touchdowns, he's still finding open receivers. You can't expect your QB to play defence.

as always, best player available.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Brohm's still perfectly good. He's still getting yardage, he's still getting touchdowns, he's still finding open receivers. You can't expect your QB to play defence.
    Point taken. Regardless, I think all of the "big three" of Woodson, Ryan, and Brohm will likely be gone before #20.

I think you can pretty much guarantee that Brian Brohm will be a Falcon if they have a shot at him. Atlanta need a QB, Brohm is Petrino's guy, Brohm knows Petrino's offence, Petrino knows Brohm inside out. He's a bigger lock than Jerry Jones finding a way to land Darren McFadden (just the Browns are trying to make it a bit more difficult than just using a top 5 pick on him straight off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers
    I think you can pretty much guarantee that Brian Brohm will be a Falcon if they have a shot at him.
    I agree -- there has even been some speculation that the Falcons are tanking the season for that reason, so they can be in a draft position to nab Brohm. I don't believe they are tanking the season, but I do believe that they will draft him if he's available at their slot. Petrino likes him and knows him, so it makes sense.

In any event, he'll be off the board before we draft, I'm sure.

Well, let's see what team we're looking at here.

NFC East
    Washington - No (Campbell)
    Philadelphia - No (if not McNabb, then they still have Feeley and Kolb)
    New York Giants- No (Manning)
    Dallas - No (Unless something happens to Romo or he gets traded)

NFC South
    Atlanta - YES (essentially a lock for Brohm)
    Carolina - YES (Carr is pretty awful and Delhomme just isn't quite getting it done)
    Tampa Bay - Maybe (Garcia is a winner, but he's 37, I don't know if they'll keep on hoping Simms will work)
    New Orleans - Nope (Brees is great, offensive line, not so much!)

NFC North
    Green Bay - No (Unless they really hate Rogers)
    Minnesota - Maybe (depends on how Jackson finishes the year)
    Chicago - YES (Both QBs are bad)
    Detriot - Nope (They have Stanton sitting on the bench this year)

NFC West
    San Francisco - Nope (Smith still has some time, and need an o-line)
    Arizona - Maybe (Does leinart still have it?)
    St. Louis - No (Bulger signed to monster extension)
    Seattle - No (Hasselbeck is a solid above average option right now)

AFC East
    New England - No (Ha...)
    New York Jets - No (Pennington is an eggshell, but Clemens has promise)
    Buffalo - No (Trent Edwards in the wings)
    Miami - No (Jon Beck in the second)

AFC South
    Indy - No (Ha...)
    Houston - No (Just got Schaub)
    Tennessee - No (Vinsanity)
    Jacksonville - Maybe (Garrard is playing well, but you never know...)

AFC North
    Pittsburgh - No (Big Ben)
    Cincinnati - No (Palmer just has no line this year)
    Cleveland - No (Anderson & Quinn, they're set)
    Baltimore - Maybe

AFC West
    Denver - No (Cutler)
    Oakland - No (Just used the #1 overall this past year)
    San Diego - No (Rivers, Volek on the bench)
    Kansas City - No (giving up on Croyle and using a 1st round pick on a QB doesn't make a lot of sense but you never know)

So here is what we have
    Unlikely: Dallas (Romo's contract)
    Maybe: Baltimore, Jax, Arizona, Minny, Tampa Bay
    Yes: Atlanta, Carolina, Chicago

Anyhow, long story short, here are the options

1) McNabb is somehow out of Philly and a trade is made between Chicago and the Eagles, Ravens might potentially get interested.

2) Romo doesn't resign, or gets franchised. Cleveland ends up with a draft pick in the high 20s, meaning Jones doesn't have the ammo to get McFadden. He might be willing to grab another first round pick and a serviceable spot starter/vet to play 1 year to groom a player he can grab in the second. The Ravens would be in a good spot for this if McNair or Boller were to be traded to Dallas along with a first round pick for Romo. Jones then has 3 1sts and plenty of power to get McFadden and can still likely make some moves in the second round to grab a guy like Dixon, Ainge, Brennan, or Henne to groom for a year. Ravens have Boller or McNair as a backup for a year, then Smith is ready to roll. This will never happen and I am dreaming, but it's fun to babble about

3) Potentially one of the "big three" falls into the Ravens laps, likely Ryan or Woodson depending on how the record shakes out at the end of the year and how noted teams turn out.

4) A second-level guy will be around that the team might be high on. Dixon, Ainge, Brennan, and Henne will likely be around at the 20s. One of em might be lightning in a bottle. Hell, some of them will be around at that point in the second round. Henne may be an option just because he plays in a horribly outdated offense and he's got experience playing (and losing...) big games. Brennan might be good too, he's used to throwing the ball all over, not freaking out if he makes a mistake, and the run and shoot has all sorts of places the QB can make a mistake. Injuries hurt his stock badly

5) Boller or Smith gets a chance to play NE/SD/Indy and lights em up. Unlikely, but if it does, then suddenly the Ravens go from "where the hell is our next QB" to being able to pick any position (like grabbing a great corner or defensive end....)
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 10-18-2007 at 10:33 PM.

I think you can remove Jacksonville from the maybes, Garrard has probably been the 3rd best QB in the AFC this year.

Right, I guess I am in the "what happens the rest of the season" might matter...but I think you'll probably end up right on that one.

In the end, I'd not be upset with Brennan at all if that's what it is in the first.