can players cut today be put on P.S. tomorrow?

Is it the same 24 hour waiver period as if they were released tomorrow?
    Teams could get an early jump on the practice squad this way.
    Someone with more waiver knowledge please let me know. Thanks

Re: can players cut today be put on P.S. tomorrow?

Not 100% certain but the league waiver period must be satisfied before the window opens for PS placement. So, no jump on timeline is available. And, guys can say yes to PS at 5:00 & get a call at 5:01 from another team willing to put them on the 53 & they can be on a plane minutes later. Lots of roster turnover in weeks 1-2 around the league.

Yes, cuts due today (Saturday) 4 pm. Practice squads can be filled Sunday with players who cleared waivers. Teams can offer spots on their 53-man roster to anyone on another team's practice squad. But the player doesn't have to accept the offer; they can choose to stay on the practice squad. I have a vague memory of a Ravens player choosing to stay--I think it was Dennis Dixon who refused the Steeler's offer and instead stayed on the Ravens' PS. A team can, and has, offered to pay the PS guy more money to turn down the offer of a roster spot. If a player knows he's only there temporarily as depth until an injured starter returns (e.g., Roethlisberger) then a short-term gain in salary may not be worth the move, particularly if the PS guy can negotiate a raise.

If a player does sign, the team must keep him on the active roster 3 weeks. (Call it the Belichick rule).
    Last edited by Shas; 08-30-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries

As long as they pass through waivers, they are PSq eligible. So yes, anyone who was OFFICIALLY cut Friday, would be eligible Saturday.

Officially is a key word, if the news of the cut leaked yesterday, but wasn't submitted to NFL until today, they have to wait until Sunday to add them to PSq.

Also keep in mind, a guy on the PSQ can be claimed at any time to a 53 man roster.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!