Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Ray better hope it does not happen again

new rules
    1st offense - 6 games
    2nd offense - lifetime

Goodell saying he messed up the Rice suspension. Ray might have been better off getting 6 games because eventually it would have blown over. Now it never will.

Blog Entries

Re: Ray better hope it does not happen again

Quote Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
    new rules
    1st offense - 6 games
    2nd offense - lifetime

Goodell saying he messed up the Rice suspension. Ray might have been better off getting 6 games because eventually it would have blown over. Now it never will.
    Youre going to need a link for a claim that large.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Youre going to need a link for a claim that large.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

Don't have a problem with this...but like the OP said, if the Rice suspension was just 4 games, I think this would have blown over.

I wonder what this means for Hardy...is he going to be grandfathered into the old 2 game precedent or will he face these stiffer penalties?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

"At times, however, and despite our best efforts, we fall short of our goals," Goodell wrote. "We clearly did so in response to a recent incident of domestic violence."

Right, forget about all those less recent incidents where there was no punishment at all, right, Roger?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Even those who wish it would go away can't stop talking about it. Haters will have no problem getting as much mileage out of this as possible. After all, Ray Lewis still gets brought up. I don't see Rice on the roster next year unless he blows things up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

Don't have a problem with this...but like the OP said, if the Rice suspension was just 4 games, I think this would have blown over.

I wonder what this means for Hardy...is he going to be grandfathered into the old 2 game precedent or will he face these stiffer penalties?
    From your link: "The letter also specifies that the new penalties apply to all NFL personnel and Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy could be the first person punished under its new guidelines."

I get why he's doing it, but I think this is a little too far. There is way too much variation in what qualifies as "domestic abuse" to just say automatic 6 games. Also need to clarify if it is based on a conviction, guilty plea, etc.

wow this is interesting ! Why the heck didn't Roger give Rice 4 games and this entire thing wouldn't have been an issue. Would ANYONE have said a word about 4 games ? instead he made every news outlet discuss it for weeks.

I think this could be tough to enforce , someone claims something happened does that get 6 games ...remember Rice was never charged but did have video evidence.

I think they should be hard on idiots hitting women,I just don't understand why he come down harder on Rice at the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    "At times, however, and despite our best efforts, we fall short of our goals," Goodell wrote. "We clearly did so in response to a recent incident of domestic violence."

Right, forget about all those less recent incidents where there was no punishment at all, right, Roger?
    :word

James Harrison, 2008. Not suspended.

Chris Rainey, 2013. Not suspended.

Erik Walden, 2013. 1 game suspension.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

Yeah, I think he should have worded it better and included that they've historically had too light of penalties on these cases and maybe Rice's incedent just highlighted it.

It's a little silly IMHO that there have been dozens of DV incendents where players have plead guilty or been found guilty and there is never a single reference to any of them...only Rice.

Hell there is one going on right now, and you wouldn't know about it at all if you didn't look for it (Hardy).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

James Harrison, 2008. Not suspended.

Chris Rainey, 2013. Not suspended.

Erik Walden, 2013. 1 game suspension.
    Brandon Marshall...6 documented incidents along with several arrests. Not suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    wow this is interesting ! Why the heck didn't Roger give Rice 4 games and this entire thing wouldn't have been an issue. Would ANYONE have said a word about 4 games ? instead he made every news outlet discuss it for weeks.

I think this could be tough to enforce , someone claims something happened does that get 6 games ...remember Rice was never charged but did have video evidence.

I think they should be hard on idiots hitting women,I just don't understand why he come down harder on Rice at the time.
    He didn't give Rice more games because you normally don't randomly change punishments for the same crime without changing policies first.

There was nothing unique about Rice's incident, and giving him more games would have been unique.