Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Here's that Meriweather hit on Torrey Smith

As soon as I saw that hit I knew he would be punished and I'm sure others saw that too. Every time one of incidents happens it becomes obvious by reading other posts that some folks clearly don't understand the penalty. I would assume there's a percentage of players who for some reason are also incapable of grasping the rule as they continually commit the same infraction while throwing up their arms in outrage. The NFL needs to make penalties progressive to discourage repeat offenders.

2. Re: Here's that Meriweather hit on Torrey Smith

I found a video that is definitive:
    https://vine.co/v/MLxQ12FUZTD

It shows that Merriweather did duck his head too early, but also kept his head turned enough to keep an eye on Torrey. It also shows he came in too high, but at the very last instant tried to get his head out of the way, too late, of course. The result: Torrey's facemask struck the bottom of the side of Merriweather's helmet with Torrey's shoulder slamming hard into the top of the side of Merriweather's helmet, while at the same time Merriweather's shoulder smashed into the side of Torrey's head.
    It was actually the shoulder that did any real damage, for both of them.
    Merriweather, in fact, seemed to take just as bad of a hit as Torrey did.
    And I bet it was the shoulder that drew the 2 game suspension as the helmet to helmet was an incidental glancing blow that would have caused no damage to either.
    Merriweather wasn't head hunting though. He was aiming for Torrey's chest with his shoulder, but when Torrey bobbled the catch and reached down to secure it, he leaned forward, dropping his head down, right level with Merriweather's shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Merriweather wasn't head hunting though.
    He wasn't tackling either, in the way the NFL wants people to tackle, i.e. not as a projectile with a forearm shot thrown in for emphasis.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Funny how this board lights up with disdain when one of our own makes a hot like this, with people saying (rightfully) the rules are going to far, the game is becoming too soft, flag football is next, etc.

But now a known headhunter makes a borderline hit on Smith and all of a sudden fans are ok with these types of calls.

The larger issue is the league is meddling too much with the defensive side of the ball. It's just a shame a known headhunter is at the heart of this particular instance.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Funny how this board lights up with disdain when one of our own makes a hot like this, with people saying (rightfully) the rules are going to far, the game is becoming too soft, flag football is next, etc.

But now a known headhunter makes a borderline hit on Smith and all of a sudden fans are ok with these types of calls.

The larger issue is the league is meddling too much with the defensive side of the ball. It's just a shame a known headhunter is at the heart of this particular instance.
    You're right about this. I guarantee I'd be a lot more forgiving if it was someone other than Meriweather or another serial offender. But the league might also be more forgiving if it wasn't his SIXTH offense. Sorry -- sixth that he's been punished for. Probably more likely his hundred-and-sixth offense.

I still have the picture in my head of his hit on Heap. Absolutely vicious with a clear desire to do permanent injury. Crown of his helmet to Todd's face mask. Plays like that, and IMO players like that, have no place in football. That hit caused the 'launching' language to enter into the rules.

So yeah, I hate the mf-er, and I'd be singing a different tune if it was a different player who made that hit. But even if it was a Ravens player who made the hit, I still would expect a flag on the play and be pissed at my player for not just tackling the guy properly.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    You're right about this. I guarantee I'd be a lot more forgiving if it was someone other than Meriweather or another serial offender. But the league might also be more forgiving if it wasn't his SIXTH offense. Sorry -- sixth that he's been punished for. Probably more likely his hundred-and-sixth offense.

I still have the picture in my head of his hit on Heap. Absolutely vicious with a clear desire to do permanent injury. Crown of his helmet to Todd's face mask. Plays like that, and IMO players like that, have no place in football. That hit caused the 'launching' language to enter into the rules.

So yeah, I hate the mf-er, and I'd be singing a different tune if it was a different player who made that hit. But even if it was a Ravens player who made the hit, I still would expect a flag on the play and be pissed at my player for not just tackling the guy properly.
    Very true and I can't say I disagree.

I too remember the hit on Heap. Completely unacceptable and a type of hit that's too common with him.

I just have this "be careful what you wish for" approach on this particular hit. It's the type of play that gives the league more ammo to further water down the defensive side of the ball.

Blog Entries

Very true and I can't say I disagree.

I too remember the hit on Heap. Completely unacceptable and a type of hit that's too common with him.

I just have this "be careful what you wish for" approach on this particular hit. It's the type of play that gives the league more ammo to further water down the defensive side of the ball.
    Or push for more fundamental tackling...

Not true in my case. I could not stand Pollard when he was a Raven. He is a Meriweather type that has total disregard for the rules and always goes for the knockout blow. He was a 15 yarder ready to happen during his Raven tenure. Sure we remember the Ridley blow in that AFCC, but every Ravens fan seems to forget an absolutely stupid Pollard 15yd PF during NE's first drive of the 3Q when it was 13-7 NE. Thank god the Ravens were bailed out by the huge Welker drop, b/c that penalty could have been the catalyst to a TD that put NE up 20-7. Don't like our chances with that scenario. I'm happy Pollard got sent packing, b/c we don't need a headhunter on our team.

Isn't it funny that these headhunting safeties care more about delivering the knockout blow instead of improving their craft with their mediocre coverage skills. These types always suck against the pass. Both Meriweather and Pollard fit that stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Or push for more fundamental tackling...
    Did you not watch the preseason?

Yes, the league wants more fundamental tackling but that's not the result of their efforts thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Not true in my case. I could not stand Pollard when he was a Raven. He is a Meriweather type that has total disregard for the rules and always goes for the knockout blow. He was a 15 yarder ready to happen during his Raven tenure. Sure we remember the Ridley blow in that AFCC, but every Ravens fan seems to forget an absolutely stupid Pollard 15yd PF during NE's first drive of the 3Q when it was 13-7 NE. Thank god the Ravens were bailed out by the huge Welker drop, b/c that penalty could have been the catalyst to a TD that put NE up 20-7. Don't like our chances with that scenario. I'm happy Pollard got sent packing, b/c we don't need a headhunter on our team.

Isn't it funny that these headhunting safeties care more about delivering the knockout blow instead of improving their craft with their mediocre coverage skills. These types always suck against the pass. Both Meriweather and Pollard fit that stereotype.
    I was too because he was a headhunter just like Meriweather. But that's not the point I was trying to make.

I am speaking to the dozens of other DB's in the league who are playing right and still getting called for penalties that are a result of the leagues attempt to water down the defensive side of the ball in favor of higher scoring games.

Like I said, it's unfortunate this hit happened to us and it was from that D-bag Meriweather. If this was Jimmy Smith making this hit on Antonio Brown, I think the vast majority of this board would be singing another tune.

Blog Entries

Did you not watch the preseason?

Yes, the league wants more fundamental tackling but that's not the result of their efforts thus far.
    No, who watches preseason?

Guess they'll just have to keep trying, or try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No, who watches preseason?

Guess they'll just have to keep trying, or try harder.
    A lot of people watch pre-season.

Since you missed it, the league has been telling the refs to over enforce many defensive penalties, resulting in sometimes 20 flags per game.