Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Breakdown: How does Kyle Juszczyk compare to Vonta Leach?

How does Kyle Juszczyk compare to Vonta Leach? I took a look at Leach from the 2011-2012 seasons and compared him to what I saw from the first two preseason games. Is it time to bring back Leach?

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/ba...e-vonta-leach/

Blog Entries

Re: Breakdown: How does Kyle Juszczyk compare to Vonta Leach?

If Owen Daniels isn't on the team you can at least consider Leach. That would be the only way though.

I also made the comparison between Juice and Casey. I think that's exactly what Kubiak will be going for at that position.

I don't think there is a need for Leach, as much as I hate to say it. I like the old style, traditional smashmouth, FB offense, but the NFL is morphing into this pass happy, offensive leaning league. Most of the rule changes favor a more versatile back. You aren't going to see too many offensive coordinators utilizing guys like Leach, and Lorenzo Neal any more. They are going to favor an H back type of an athlete over a wrecking ball like Leach.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I don't think there is a need for Leach, as much as I hate to say it. I like the old style, traditional smashmouth, FB offense, but the NFL is morphing into this pass happy, offensive leaning league. Most of the rule changes favor a more versatile back. You aren't going to see too many offensive coordinators utilizing guys like Leach, and Lorenzo Neal any more. They are going to favor an H back type of an athlete over a wrecking ball like Leach.
    My sentiments exactly

Leach looked, I hate to say it, soft last year. I distinctly remember several plays that, in the past he would have crushed a guy in the open field and got bowled backwards instead. Time to move on. Comparing Juszczyk to him isn't really apples to either. Different roles, but he's doing better as a lead blocker this year though.

It's too early to compare them. Since Leach only offered blocking, Juszczyk may become more versatile and dangerous. Right now Leach is an aging professional who went to multiple pro bowls. Juszczyk is a promising young player who has yet to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    We are going to need that smashmouth FB and power run game when it is 3rd and goal on the 2 yard line. Juszczyk has the potential to be that guy. At 262, Leach was a hard guy to stop once he got going. Juice is about 12 pounds lighter. I am willing to trade off annihilating linebackers for a solid block and additional options on the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Leach looked, I hate to say it, soft last year. I distinctly remember several plays that, in the past he would have crushed a guy in the open field and got bowled backwards instead. Time to move on. Comparing Juszczyk to him isn't really apples to either. Different roles, but he's doing better as a lead blocker this year though.
    I disagree. Not sure if you had a chance to look at what I wrote, but the plays that I used featuring Leach and Juszczyk were identical. Their roles are similar. There is a difference between the two's skillset. Leach is a better lead blocker, while Juice is a better pass catcher. I did have to go back to Leach's 2011 and 2012 seasons for a comparison though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    It's too early to compare them. Since Leach only offered blocking, Juszczyk may become more versatile and dangerous. Right now Leach is an aging professional who went to multiple pro bowls. Juszczyk is a promising young player who has yet to be tested.
    Leach was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. The only issue was that the Ravens primarily used him on routes that took him to the sideline. Since Juice played slot receiver and TE he can line up as a wide out and run more routes.

Quote Originally Posted by BSLNadeemK View Post
    We are going to need that smashmouth FB and power run game when it is 3rd and goal on the 2 yard line. Juszczyk has the potential to be that guy. At 262, Leach was a hard guy to stop once he got going. Juice is about 12 pounds lighter. I am willing to trade off annihilating linebackers for a solid block and additional options on the passing game.
    I doubt Juszczyk is going to pancake people like Leach did, but he can still be effective as a blocker
    Leach was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. The only issue was that the Ravens primarily used him on routes that took him to the sideline. Since Juice played slot receiver and TE he can line up as a wide out and run more routes.
    Leach was never a real threat in the passing game(look at his career stats). He was used to keep the opposing defense honest. Juice has the potential to be a weapon. We'll see how he develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Leach was never a real threat in the passing game(look at his career stats). He was used to keep the opposing defense honest.
    Right on. Just about every Leach passing play is a route to the sidelines.

Leach rarely caught a pass with his momentum going forward - he could only run the 2 yard pattern towards the sideline and usually had to slow considerably to get his momentum pointed upfield - Juice will be very versatile and tough for defenses to key on - he does not need to be the kind of blocker Leach was to be effective in the run game - not necessary to destroy the defender only need to block him

Blog Entries

Pass plays to Leach out of the backfield were an easy way to steal 4-6 yards if the defense wasn't showing at least minimal respect for him as a receiver. Which forced the defense to account for him & kept the teams playing 11 on 11.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!