Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jamison Hensley's New Ravens Book

The coaching staff was the first major difference between the 2012 Chiefs and the 2013 Chiefs. Alex Smith was the second major difference. When Matt Cassel was the QB, they were terrified of throwing the football, because they knew Cassel would make a mistake. Last year, watching several Chiefs games, the main reason why they couldn't hang with some of the better passing offenses in the league wasn't because of Alex Smith. It was because their WRs dropped passes more than the Ravens WRs have been known to do over the years. If Charles wasn't catching a pass out of the backfield, it just wasn't happening.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm not so sure. All the guys who went through those QBs you listed are long gone. Andy Reid has done okay with developing young QBs that he's drafted. The Chiefs also have big cap issues. They've been taking care of guys the want to keep like Charles and dumping guys they don't like Flowers. They're not going to pay big money for Smith but I do think they'll make him a fair offer with a ton of incentives.
    Andy Reid coached Donovan McNabb,Michael Vick,and now Smith. And Smith already got coached up by Jim Harbaugh.

not to drift the thread, but IIRC there was some negative reaction to paying Flacco that much $. with every new contract it seems like a bargain. Ozzie wins again!

ordered the book btw. anyone know any other Ravens books? Billick has one, and Blind Side had some Ravens stuff i think.
    the Sun has a SB review book, mostly reprinting their stories.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    anyone know any other Ravens books? Billick has one, and Blind Side had some Ravens stuff i think.

Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL Paperback – by John Feinstein

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Andy Reid coached Donovan McNabb,Michael Vick,and now Smith. And Smith already got coached up by Jim Harbaugh.
    Andy Reid also coached and drafted Nick Foles, Kevin Kolb and Koy Detmer. He's not above getting QBs in the draft working with them. A lot of people are expecting the Chiefs to struggle this season. If that happens and Smith wants too much he's going to be gone and the Chiefs will draft a QB just like the Eagles used to. Now, if the Chiefs surprise and get back to the playoffs then Smith has some real leverage.

Andy Reid also coached and drafted Nick Foles, Kevin Kolb and Koy Detmer. He's not above getting QBs in the draft working with them. A lot of people are expecting the Chiefs to struggle this season. If that happens and Smith wants too much he's going to be gone and the Chiefs will draft a QB just like the Eagles used to. Now, if the Chiefs surprise and get back to the playoffs then Smith has some real leverage.
    Kolb and Detmer were back-ups and Foles had his most success in Chip Kelly's system and we also don't know if he's more than a one year wonder. The question is whether they'd be able to get a long term solution is Smith leaves.

ha, I'd forgotten bout that one.
    reserved at local library (thumbs up)
    thx for reminder!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Kolb and Detmer were back-ups and Foles had his most success in Chip Kelly's system and we also don't know if he's more than a one year wonder. The question is whether they'd be able to get a long term solution is Smith leaves.
    The point is that Reid is very willing to draft and play young QBs. He's done it on multiple occasions and isn't going to be held hostage by Alex Smith if his demands remain way out of whack. Smith said he would not sign a deal structured like the ones that Dalton and Kaepernick signed. If that's the case and he's not willing to to move off the $17 or $18 million a year that he's been looking for this offseason he won't be back.

Blog Entries

You bring up a good point.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm going to by the book for bathroom reading material, but if most of the book is like that excerpt, I don't know if it'll be any new or big info...I've read that same story quite a few times already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The first is a fan book about the Superbowl season and the second is written by the late, great John Steadman about the Colts, the wander through the wilderness between teams and the birth of the Ravens.

http://hub.jhu.edu/2013/09/12/baltim...ens-never-easy

http://www.amazon.com/Colts-Ravens-B...e+ravens+books
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    anyone know any other Ravens books? Billick has one, and Blind Side had some Ravens stuff i think.
    Strength of a Champion: Finding Faith and Fortitude Through Adversity

It's a book about OJ Brigance, which is timely considering the current ALS focus in the news.