Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Browns' Coach Pettine sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    but hey maybe Pettine can pull something out of his ass that the owners have never seen before...
    I don't think a colon can fit a Lombardi Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What has Hoyer ever done? He has 4 starts in 5 years and has been cut from 2 teams. It's not like they Browns have a real starter to put up against Manziel.
    I don't think it's a matter of who's the better QB. Obviously they drafted JM to be their franchise QB, so he will be the starter at some point in time. The question is which one of these guys gives them the best chance against the steelers in week 1. Is JM ready to play a real NFL game at this point in time. He has said recently himself that he is not ready for the steelers. So from my perspective I would have to say that Hoyer has the edge. If you're QB is telling you he is not ready what choice do you have really?
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Pettine is going to want a QB who is going to limit costly turnovers, while he relies heavily on his defense. Johnny Manziel is not that guy, but he'll have to bite the bullet at some point. It's only a matter of time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I liked Pettine when he was with the Ravens, and do think it's premature to judge his handling or even blame him. The decision to draft Manziel, on top of a terrible history inherited by the head coach, give him very little leeway to look smart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of who's the better QB. Obviously they drafted JM to be their franchise QB, so he will be the starter at some point in time. The question is which one of these guys gives them the best chance against the steelers in week 1. Is JM ready to play a real NFL game at this point in time. He has said recently himself that he is not ready for the steelers. So from my perspective I would have to say that Hoyer has the edge. If you're QB is telling you he is not ready what choice do you have really?
    I never heard Manziel say he isn't ready for anything. I'm not saying he didn't, I just didn't hear it.

Pettine is in a bad spot because he agreed to go to a poorly run organization. Hopefully for him he gets the Marvin Lewis treatment and convinces the owner to back off and let him run the team. Somehow I doubt that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I never heard Manziel say he isn't ready for anything. I'm not saying he didn't, I just didn't hear it.

Pettine is in a bad spot because he agreed to go to a poorly run organization. Hopefully for him he gets the Marvin Lewis treatment and convinces the owner to back off and let him run the team. Somehow I doubt that happens.
    He made the comment on Sunday 8/17. Most rookie QB's would never make that statement 3 weeks into training camp. I actually appreciate that he's honest enough to say that, but then there's part of me who has to ask; why the hell aren't you ready? lol.

http://www.koamtv.com/story/26296850...for-opener-yet
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm not sure you can say he sucks after just watching two preseason games.
    It has nothing to do with watching them, it has to do with how he is handling the team. He should have named Hoyer the starter to let him get the reps. When they get into the season and are officially out of the playoff race (which may have taken a bit given their defense and what may be a respectable run game) then you can play Manziel to start getting an idea of what you have there.

Gordon is facing a year long ban. theyre using him as if hes not going to be on the roster, but also trying to see how he works with Hoyer/Manziel. Manziel plays into the 3rd QT, I dont see why you wouldnt want to see how he works with him, especially when there little risk of losing him longer than you already are.
    Gordon shouldn't be taking snaps from guys who will play THIS year. How they will mesh later is inconsequential. They can work on that next off-season, whatever progress they make now will go by the wayside during this season.

Maybe he's not that dumb. He names their starting QB: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...k.com%2F%22%7D
    And has lost how many weeks in focusing on him as the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Andy Moeller also comes from us, and I would have next to zero confidence that he could be a successful NFL head coach. Hue Jackson flamed out as a HC.

It's way too early to evaluate Pettine, but so far I am not impressed with how he has handled things. I don't know whether he can be successful, but you are correct that he can only be successful "if he's not under pressure from the owner." And that is a really, really big 'if.'
    Rex Ryan is possibly the most successful coach that was an ex-Raven. This franchise is good for getting guys hired,but after that it gets murky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Rex Ryan is possibly the most successful coach that was an ex-Raven. This franchise is good for getting guys hired,but after that it gets murky.
    If you want to count all, probably Mike Smith at 60-36, then Marvin Lewis at 90-85, Rex is 42-38, Jack DelRio 71-72
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Pagano?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Andy Moeller also comes from us, and I would have next to zero confidence that he could be a successful NFL head coach. Hue Jackson flamed out as a HC.

It's way too early to evaluate Pettine, but so far I am not impressed with how he has handled things. I don't know whether he can be successful, but you are correct that he can only be successful "if he's not under pressure from the owner." And that is a really, really big 'if.'
    thats true... but they dont have nearly the resume that pettine does. Hes been a successful coordinator. Im not going to say any position coach is theoretically a capable HC, but any one that goes on to be a coordinator and find success I certainly feel will remember what it takes to be a winner.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Pagano?
    I think he'll be successful but it's a small sample size. He's had two seasons, one of which his main contribution was being diagnosed with cancer so his team could rally around him. I think that only works once though.