Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: McPhee the next Art Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Yeah but it might not be wise to assume those guys are going to be OK. That's two years in a row for KLM, maybe his legs aren't cut out for NFL football
    One was an ACL, other was an Achilles. Unfortunate but doesnt seem to indicate a predisposition to leg injuries. Just two random setbacks.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I guess there's no way to know until they come back, but I keep thinking about other talented Ravens that we've kept on the team in hopes that they'd be healthy enough to ever be relied on. I'm thinking specifically of Dan Cody in this instance... different player, different position, and a different time... but still. You have to wonder with some players if they just aren't 'sturdy' enough to ever play pro football.

Blog Entries

He is very much like Arthur Jones in his current situation. If he plays to his potential, which many of us expect him to do, then he will play himself right out of the Ravens price range.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I think we're missing the boat on McPhee. Players like him are a rarer commodity than you might think.

He might be the most underrated guy on the entire roster. He's 25 and doesn't turn 26 until mid-December. He's been durable. He's been versatile. He's come up big in some big games for us (the 2013 AFC championship game and the 2011 game vs. Cincy that helped secure the division). His "tweener" status has cost him more snaps than it should have, but when he's played, he's been highly productive. He's done whatever the team has asked of him and has been a high-character/high-motor type guy.

I don't think he gets Art Jones type money. If he does, he's a goner unfortunately.

If I were the Ravens, I'd offer him a 4 year/$11m contract before the first week of the season.

I'd give him a $1.6m signing bonus and a first year salary of $1.2m ($1.6 cap figure) and a second year base salary of $1.7m ($2.1m cap figure in 2016). If McPhee has another solid season, that's a very fair market rate for a player of his caliber and age. It's probably still a bit on the team friendly side of fair. If McPhee has a break out 2014, as is a very real possibility, then you've just got him at a steal. Even his 2017 and 2018 cap figures (in the $3.5-$4m range) wouldn't be that damaging to the cap for a productive DE.

There is considerable upside for McPhee to take the Raven contract offer too. The $1.6m signing bonus would be roughly 75% of what he has made through his first four years as a professional. For a rotational player like McPhee, this might be the only time in his career that he assured of getting an offer of this size.

I think we need to recognize that three of the players we are banking on as part of our long-term answers at DE(Jernigan, Urban, KLM) have never played a NFL snap. McPhee is the only D-lineman on the roster who is truly in his prime as a player. If the Ravens can get him back in the fold inexpensively, I'd do it, and I'd do it now. The best way of doing that is to lock something up now before his cost rises. Unfortunately, the Ravens have rarely done this at this stage of a season. Typically, they've only done the "in season" extensions with their stars. I think McPhee is an example of where it makes sense to break from this pattern, particularly since the figure it would take to sign McPhee today is hardly cap-altering.

With McPhee, I think there is a large enough sample size to know the type of player he is, so I see no downside to signing him now. Hesitating is just going to raise his pricetag and possibly cost you a solid, somewhat valuable player.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I think we're missing the boat on McPhee. Players like him are a rarer commodity than you might think.

He might be the most underrated guy on the entire roster. He's 25 and doesn't turn 26 until mid-December. He's been durable. He's been versatile. He's come up big in some big games for us (the 2013 AFC championship game and the 2011 game vs. Cincy that helped secure the division). His "tweener" status has cost him more snaps than it should have, but when he's played, he's been highly productive. He's done whatever the team has asked of him and has been a high-character/high-motor type guy.

I don't think he gets Art Jones type money. If he does, he's a goner unfortunately.

If I were the Ravens, I'd offer him a 4 year/$11m contract before the first week of the season.

I'd give him a $1.6m signing bonus and a first year salary of $1.2m ($1.6 cap figure) and a second year base salary of $1.7m ($2.1m cap figure in 2016). If McPhee has another solid season, that's a very fair market rate for a player of his caliber and age. It's probably still a bit on the team friendly side of fair. If McPhee has a break out 2014, as is a very real possibility, then you've just got him at a steal. Even his 2017 and 2018 cap figures (in the $3.5-$4m range) wouldn't be that damaging to the cap for a productive DE.

There is considerable upside for McPhee to take the Raven contract offer too. The $1.6m signing bonus would be roughly 75% of what he has made through his first four years as a professional. For a rotational player like McPhee, this might be the only time in his career that he assured of getting an offer of this size.

I think we need to recognize that three of the players we are banking on as part of our long-term answers at DE(Jernigan, Urban, KLM) have never played a NFL snap. McPhee is the only D-lineman on the roster who is truly in his prime as a player. If the Ravens can get him back in the fold inexpensively, I'd do it, and I'd do it now. The best way of doing that is to lock something up now before his cost rises. Unfortunately, the Ravens have rarely done this at this stage of a season. Typically, they've only done the "in season" extensions with their stars. I think McPhee is an example of where it makes sense to break from this pattern, particularly since the figure it would take to sign McPhee today is hardly cap-altering.

With McPhee, I think there is a large enough sample size to know the type of player he is, so I see no downside to signing him now. Hesitating is just going to raise his pricetag and possibly cost you a solid, somewhat valuable player.
    If McPhee becomes dominant this year and Ngata doesn't return to form, it's possible he picks up a chunk of Ngatas paycheck and Ngata retires or takes a reduced role.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    If McPhee becomes dominant this year and Ngata doesn't return to form, it's possible he picks up a chunk of Ngatas paycheck and Ngata retires or takes a reduced role.
    If Ngata doesn't return to form, I really think he's gone next year. That would save $8.5 million (I believe) on the cap. Even if that happens, though, there will be a lot of demand for available funds. Long term contracts for the Cough Drop Brothers, among other things. I also like McPhee, but if he has a really good year, he could well be gone in 2015. Hopefully the cap ceiling goes up somewhat next year.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    If Ngata doesn't return to form, I really think he's gone next year. That would save $8.5 million (I believe) on the cap. Even if that happens, though, there will be a lot of demand for available funds. Long term contracts for the Cough Drop Brothers, among other things. I also like McPhee, but if he has a really good year, he could well be gone in 2015. Hopefully the cap ceiling goes up somewhat next year.
    I think it's a foregone conclusion that it will go up substantially each of the next two years.