Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Shipley implodeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Here are the plays I flagged from Shipley's 19 snaps at LG:

(Q3, 14:25) 60 penetrated inside vs. AQ. Pierce bounced outside for a gain of 30 to the left.
    (Q3, 12:45) Shipley good block in L2 on LT RM9
    (Q3, 6:28) Shipley good L2 block on LT RM5
    (Q3, 3:28) AQ beaten inside by 60 for QH
    (Q3, 2:52) Shipley missed Holloman in L2 who took down Forsett for a gain of 1.

Dallas #60 is Coleman, who started the game at DT.

Assuming I didn't miss another missed block (I went exclusively from notes, not an OL scoresheet), he would have scored 12 of 18 scoring plays (excludes Reid's penalty) by my system. It would be a high F (.67) at guard, but "implosion" is an overstatement and he contributed a couple of good L2 blocks for which he doesn't receive extra credit.
    TY, you confirm Shipley is not real good but not cutable insurance till the end of camp and IR shakes out.
    You are right, 11 is a strange number of OL but we have unknowns like Urshel, Hurst and to a degree Jensen....
    add in Rackley (head), Mims, Graham, Van Sloten, Reggie Stephens
    Gradkowski, Shipley, Jah as the 3 with "experience" - I'm counting 11 without the starters but not sure Stephens even has the proverbial snowball's chance
    And starters Wagner, Yanda, Jeremy, KO, Monroe

I can't see us cutting experience unless/until the coaches are sure what is left can step up, and that will shake out game 4 for sure.
    Heck I don't even know at this point if Van Sloten is PS material, but I again thank you for clearing up Shipley, he is still bubble in my thinking
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I will state again that I see no plausible reason for Shipley to make this team.
    I don't think he makes it either. However, he's the only player on the roster not named Zuttah who has shown the ability to play OC at an acceptable level in the NFL.

Does anyone think that the whole mish-mash of backup O-linemen has been handled brutally?

Jensen was kept on the active 53 all last year. Why? Is he a RT? Is he a guard? Is he our backup C?

Gradkowski might be the 5th best OC on the roster, and the 8th best OG on our roster, and he appears probable to make the team.

I still feel strongly that James Hurst is the 6th best O-lineman on the Ravens...and that's at this moment in time, yet I still don't like his chances of making the team over guys like Jensen/Urschel/Gradkowski/Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I don't think he makes it either. However, he's the only player on the roster not named Zuttah who has shown the ability to play OC at an acceptable level in the NFL.

Does anyone think that the whole mish-mash of backup O-linemen has been handled brutally?

Jensen was kept on the active 53 all last year. Why? Is he a RT? Is he a guard? Is he our backup C?

Gradkowski might be the 5th best OC on the roster, and the 8th best OG on our roster, and he appears probable to make the team.

I still feel strongly that James Hurst is the 6th best O-lineman on the Ravens...and that's at this moment in time, yet I still don't like his chances of making the team over guys like Jensen/Urschel/Gradkowski/Reid.
    Hurst has been struggling mightily in games,Urschel was with the seconds while Jensen was with the thirds,and Harbaugh named Reid as the #3 OT.

Hurst made no pass blocking errors Saturday, which is just what we want from the LT, starter or backup.

Re Gino's fumble recovery, it was his missed block that slowed the play which was eventually fumbled. Taliaferro takes the blame, and correctly, but Gino had a hand in it and a good block probably results in a first down with no fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Hurst has been struggling mightily in games,Urschel was with the seconds while Jensen was with the thirds,and Harbaugh named Reid as the #3 OT.
    He had two bad snaps in the SF game, during his first playing time as a pro. After that, he played reasonably well.

Hurst had a very solid game on Saturday in Dallas. There were 2-3 times where he didn't extend his blocks as well as you would like, but otherwise, he was pretty good. He's a better run blocker than I thought.

The difference between Hurst and Parker Graham, who eventually replaced him, was staggering.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

Nice points, stated differently than I was thinking but in line with my thoughts.
    Mish-mash handled brutally (love the phrasing!)

Sarcasticfury mentions Harbaugh named Reid as the #3 OT...which I don't doubt, I just remember he was named as starting LG at one point also (Pre-KO drafting), so I only have him penciled in there, no Sharpie use yet at all .... with what Filmstudy is adding, I do like Hurst's chances .... just don't see where the spot(s) are coming from and probably won't until the very end ... there has got to be a strong squeeze for IR from somewhere or a late trade for someone's 4th CB
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old