Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flags and Commercials

If the regular season is anything like preseason, I will be watching MUCH less football.
    This new emphasis on defensive touching is absurd, especially given all the safety rules and everything else.

I'm just not into watching a 10 seconds of game, 5 minutes of flags, replays, commercials.

Then on top of that, they want to encourage pick routes and basically create undefendable offences.

NO THANKS.

/end rant.

Re: Flags and Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by RavinFan View Post
    If the regular season is anything like preseason, I will be watching MUCH less football.
    This new emphasis on defensive touching is absurd, especially given all the safety rules and everything else.

I'm just not into watching a 10 seconds of game, 5 minutes of flags, replays, commercials.

Then on top of that, they want to encourage pick routes and basically create undefendable offences.

NO THANKS.

/end rant.

:word Feel the same. Refs better tone it down.

I agree completely. The NFL has increasingly become less and less desirable to me for: increase of flags/penalties, and 75% of the game being commercials, and not just commercials, but the same ones being played over and over again.

No to mention it will no longer be a 3 hour game. Nfl replay may be better to watch if the raven game is shown. Watched the NE game, it sure helped them get 1st downs when they were short on 3rd down. Brady will take those penalties all day. Definitely going to screw up the hard playing game that we all grew up with. To have 15-20 penalties a game is crazy. Hands to the face has been going on for years. Defensive backs will be abused by the new penalties and the secondary won't be able to use their hands running with the receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sedjro View Post
    :word Feel the same. Refs better tone it down.
    Why is this the refs fault?

They're just doing what they're told.

I blame the owners who voted this nonsense into the rule book.

Blog Entries

And there has been a point of emphasis the referees are told to work on, so they call everything that looks like it early in the pre-season.
    Once the season starts I expect to see them cut back on ticky-tack, the players will have adjusted, and the flags will slow down.
    What we are seeing is partly a reaction to Seattle's manhandling of Denver .... NFL wants scoring up, so grabbing is called for sure, and if the hand is on and could be it is also called (I think that will subside), but expect to see every jersey stretch flagged in season ... the hand fighting I think will be unflagged then but not in the early pre-season.

The one that surprised me is the hands to the face, seemed like I heard that a lot (Iggles/Cheatriots?) not sure if it just was a bad technique couple of players or something else was going on.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

That patriots eagles game was unwatchable. I don't know what the total number of flags were but it seemed as though it was every other play. It normally dies down and is virtually vanished by the end of the season and playoffs. Obviously if it's a blatant violation of said new rules it'll get called but hopefully this won't cost any teams games in the early part of the season

Blog Entries

They're just making a point during preseason. I expect it to dial back when the real games start; guess time will tell...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

That was nothing compared to the Saints game.

Here's hoping it's just a temporary thing to drill into players minds that it's gonna be called a lot closer this year.

Otherwise, it's going to be a long a season. There were only 10 more illegal contact penalties called ALL SEASON last year, compared to week 1 of the preseason plus HOF game this year. That's just nuts.

It's going to get to the stage where a legitimate play call will be for the QB to run around in the backfield waiting for a D holding flag...

It was getting beyond a joke last night, and all preseason from what I'm hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    It's going to get to the stage where a legitimate play call will be for the QB to run around in the backfield waiting for a D holding flag...

It was getting beyond a joke last night, and all preseason from what I'm hearing.

Last night was great compared to other games. But throwing flags and then calling no penalty is strange. Those last plays with dallas would have been called earlier in the game, did the refd have a change of heart. LOL