Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Situation in Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I would think Sharpton and Jackson showing up doing their normal thing do that themselves.

On another note. I was just reading a story. Does thie kid who ot shot have a name, or was he always referred to as an "unarmed black teenager who was shot by the police"?? I fucking hate the media.
    Hmmm...Everything I've read has always referred to him as Michael Brown. Or at least made mention of his name somewhere in the article.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Hmmm...Everything I've read has always referred to him as Michael Brown. Or at least made mention of his name somewhere in the article.
    In this article he is referenced as an "unarmed teenager" until the very last paragraph by name:

http://news.yahoo.com/why-do-ferguso...184517098.html

I can find some others I was reading about, but this was one I still had up.

EDIT: Here's another where he is refernced by name later in the article but first as "an unarmed African-American teenager in a police shooting."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/prote...urb-1407988466

In this article he is referenced as an "unarmed teenager" until the very last paragraph by name:

http://news.yahoo.com/why-do-ferguso...184517098.html

I can find some others I was reading about, but this was one I still had up.
    Well that's a little odd.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Well that's a little odd.
    And disrespectful if you ask me.

And disrespectful if you ask me.
    Agreed.

EDIT: Here's another where he is refernced by name later in the article but first as "an unarmed African-American teenager in a police shooting."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/prote...urb-1407988466
    I really hate the term African American.

Blog Entries

I really hate the term African American.
    Me too.

Me too.
    I also hate the term black people. You may have notice in my posts I always say Black Americans.

You may enjoy this Def Jam Poetry by Smokey Robinson.

Yes St. Louis and the surrounding areas have a long history of police brutality. Think of it as the L.A. of the Midwest.

Of course it's not an inherent trait in Black Americans to loot. I was basically saying it's the absurdity of it all. People are focusing solely on the looters. Without addressing the reasons behind such an act. Think about it...what would cause people to act in such a way. Sure they are some "opportunist" in every crowd, but what would make people loot, throw bottles and rocks at police. Or is there a history that has made tempers boil over decades, that is now spilling over. If you don't believe that, than maybe the point being made is that Black Americans are inherently violent, and this is a typical response from them? No...I hope people wouldn't make that conclusion. Or maybe the Black Americans in Ferguson have felt ignored by the national media for far too long. They have responded peacefully in the past and nothing has changed apparently. How long must a group of people be pushed before they respond violently?

Basically, it's not as black and white as "Don't ever loot/riot." The world is full of grey. Nothing will ever change if we continue to view the world as black and white...and examine the reasons why things happen.

As I posted before:
    "I question a society that always sees the product of the provocation and never the provocation itself."
    Your quote is a double edged sword.

Black people don't trust the police because the police tend to profile them. Yet the majority of violent crimes are committed by black people.

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime

Using your quote, couldn't the argument be made that the police reactions are a result of provocation? Your personal history and subsequent attitude towards the police (an attitude I fully understand) is a perfect example. You don't trust the police because they have repeatedly harassed you. Considering this, can you understand why police might be (are) more likely to be more inclined to use force against a black person?

As to the actual case this thread was started over, I'm going to wait until we know all the facts to judge the police officer. Eye witness accounts are largely unreliable. Rioters should just be shot.

And just to put a face to that book I quoted http://www.law.ufl.edu/faculty/katheryn-russell-brown
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I also hate the term black people. You may have notice in my posts I always say Black Americans.

You may enjoy this Def Jam Poetry by Smokey Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Your quote is a double edged sword.

Black people don't trust the police because the police tend to profile them. Yet the majority of violent crimes are committed by black people.

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime

Using your quote, couldn't the argument be made that the police reactions are a result of provocation? Your personal history and subsequent attitude towards the police (an attitude I fully understand) is a perfect example. You don't trust the police because they have repeatedly harassed you. Considering this, can you understand why police might be (are) more likely to be more inclined to use force against a black person?

As to the actual case this thread was started over, I'm going to wait until we know all the facts to judge the police officer. Eye witness accounts are largely unreliable. Rioters should just be shot.

And just to put a face to that book I quoted http://www.law.ufl.edu/faculty/katheryn-russell-brown
    I am sorry, I cannot take this post seriously because you've quoted Metapedia. Metapedia is a extreme right-wing/Neo-Nazi site that tries to revise history through an Aryan lens. Metapedia describes slavery in American as "liberal media often talk of a period of slavery in the United States, however this is a gross distortion of the truth. This distortion is to suppress the confederate political voice by labeling them as Racist."

Blog Entries

Apparently cops in Ferguson do not have dashboard cameras. The only video I've seen is the aftermath, taken by an eyewitness. Disturbing video. I've only seen it on Facebook. This forum is letting me copy the embed code into my post.
    Not even from the police cruisers, but apparent witnesses themselves didn't pull their cameras out and take pictures or vids? I find that hard to believe, or rather strange. I've seen several different YouTube videos of police brutality and damn if there aren't a dozen people with their phones out taking pictures and videos. Why is this situation different?

Makes me think that the situation isn't really as some are trying to present it or there weren't really any actual witnesses.

So, again, we're left with not really knowing. That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade
    So the President is never supposed to comment on a situation that literally has the attention of the entire Nation and most of the Western world. An area that has a long history of police brutality against a Black American community is what makes it a racial issue. Not anything Al Sharpton has to say about. IMO people who always bring up what Obama, Sharpton, or Jackon does/says are detracting from the event and the ramifications thereof.
    First, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are the epitome of fueling racism. As long as I can remember, with them, it has always been about race. I get that there are some serious societal issues with the police and the black community in that area of the country (and they definitely need to be addressed ASAP), but where was Sharpton and Jackson when Chris Lane was shot by three black guys last August in Oklahoma? Where were they when Roderick Scott shot and killed Christopher Cervini in New York (practically the same scenario as Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman)?

And this is predominately because of the media, but where are the major headlines gained by the President, Eric Holder, Sharpton, and the rest about the mass shootings in Chicago, Detroit, and other black-on-black crime?

http://www.vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide11.pdf

Those things don't fit their agenda it seems.

I hate that I feel that way, but it is kind of hard to not feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade
    What liberals are using this as another platform for gun control? I haven't seen any.
    Just one example, but this example pertains to gun-control advocacy for police:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...11.html?hp=l11
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-14-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Found the study I was trying to recall
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.