Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Michael Oher is tired of getting disrespected

Oher makes an appearance on SI's overrated offensive player list
    Offensive Tackles

Michael Oher, Tennessee Titans/Jermon Bushrod, Chicago Bears

Last season, Oher tied for the league lead in blown blocks among all offensive linemen (41.5) with Cleveland's Mitchell Schwartz and Atlanta's Lamar Holmes, and his 56 total pressures allowed was the seventh-worst figure in the NFL. We're not sure why the Titans signed the former Ravens tackle to a four-year, $20 million contract with $9.5 million guaranteed, and we're really unsure why they then selected Michigan's Taylor Lewan in the first round, ostensibly to compete with Oher, unless it was to give Oher some tips on avoiding sacks.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im surprised theyre taking that approach. id assume Lewan would easily outplay Oher at RT, so why leave him a backup? I still think Oher ends up at G sometime while Roos is around. Roos will eventually leave and Lewan will be the LT and Oher will likely slide back to RT, but either way hell see out his contract because its not that much money really.
    As mentioned several times already, their guards might be even better then their tackles...

Roos is probably their worst OL at this point... considering his age. Well, besides Oher.

Oher is a nice guy, i get it, but probably the most overrated player int eh entire NFL the past 5 years. Dude is simply NOT a starting quality NFL Olineman. His rookie year was unquestionably his best as a pro, and while he improved on his penalties as he grew as a player, he got worse in every other way year to year. By the end, he was among the worst run blockers and pass blockers on the team.

Honestly, the Titans should probably cut their losses and cut him before the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Oher makes an appearance on SI's overrated offensive player list
    Offensive Tackles

Michael Oher, Tennessee Titans/Jermon Bushrod, Chicago Bears

Ouch!
    Ouch indeed. Someone send this to Dumvervil. He might start salivating.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    As mentioned several times already, their guards might be even better then their tackles...

Roos is probably their worst OL at this point... considering his age. Well, besides Oher.

Oher is a nice guy, i get it, but probably the most overrated player int eh entire NFL the past 5 years. Dude is simply NOT a starting quality NFL Olineman. His rookie year was unquestionably his best as a pro, and while he improved on his penalties as he grew as a player, he got worse in every other way year to year. By the end, he was among the worst run blockers and pass blockers on the team.

Honestly, the Titans should probably cut their losses and cut him before the season starts.
    Good post. Somehow the prevailing view of Oher among Ravens fans seems to be "well he didn't quite live up to the hype but he was still a good player." That's bullshit; Oher was awful after his rookie year and got worse and worse every year.

People also don't seem to realize that he dogged it a lot over the last 2 years. He might have been trying hard in practice but when it got to games he was often lazy and didn't block to the whistle. I don't think I've ever seen a player change so completely from rookie year to rest of career as Oher, and his lack of effort became striking over the past few years especially compared to how physically he played in 2009.

The thing is, he was always bound to get more shots because he absolutely has the physical talent to be a great offensive lineman in this league. The problems with him are all mental, and maybe some coach can get through to him and teach him how to block the right man with the right technique on an every-snap basis. I'm not betting on it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Good post. Somehow the prevailing view of Oher among Ravens fans seems to be "well he didn't quite live up to the hype but he was still a good player." That's bullshit; Oher was awful after his rookie year and got worse and worse every year.

People also don't seem to realize that he dogged it a lot over the last 2 years. He might have been trying hard in practice but when it got to games he was often lazy and didn't block to the whistle. I don't think I've ever seen a player change so completely from rookie year to rest of career as Oher, and his lack of effort became striking over the past few years especially compared to how physically he played in 2009.

The thing is, he was always bound to get more shots because he absolutely has the physical talent to be a great offensive lineman in this league. The problems with him are all mental, and maybe some coach can get through to him and teach him how to block the right man with the right technique on an every-snap basis. I'm not betting on it, though.
    good call on the work ethic, often overlooked, probably because of the movie.

And no chance on the chance that someone can teach him technique. In 5 years as a Raven they couldn't get him to pick his hands up and extend them in pass blocking, not sure how anyone else ever will.

His effort on run-blocking the past two seasons was virtually THE EXACT OPPOSITE of how the movie portrays him. Last year the guy basically became a "positional wall blocker" with ZERO drive. He couldn't move even small players, best he could hope for was to get between the RB and his assignment.

Maybe we can get the Titans to trade us Taylor Lewan for our 2015 first round pick, since they have no immediate use for him. :ww:

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, and I believe we even have the cap space to pull it off too. Lewan is our starting RT and Wagner becomes our super-sub, backing up Lewan, Yanda, and KO. We even have the ability to move Lewan to LT if Monroe would go down.

Get it done, Ozzie!

This won't happen in a million years, but neither would the last 50 or so trade suggestions that I've seen here either.

Blog Entries

Lets be fair to big Mike here, under Matsko Oher was decent, look what happened once Matsko left? Moeller hasn't done shit and the entire Oline outside of Yanda look like shit good thing Birk brought some intelligence to the Line. Under Moeller-Castillo everyone looked like shit. So how much of that is coaching? I could understanf if the offensive line coaching staff was competent and we had a legit coordinator. Oher under Matsko was decentafter that it went down hill for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Lets be fair to big Mike here, under Matsko Oher was decent, look what happened once Matsko left? Moeller hasn't done shit and the entire Oline outside of Yanda look like shit good thing Birk brought some intelligence to the Line. Under Moeller-Castillo everyone looked like shit. So how much of that is coaching? I could understanf if the offensive line coaching staff was competent and we had a legit coordinator. Oher under Matsko was decentafter that it went down hill for him.
    If you're only a good player because you have a good coach then you're not actually a good player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    If you're only a good player because you have a good coach then you're not actually a good player.
    If thats the case might as well the Ravens stuck it out with Caldwell and company because we know Flacco is good so based on that he could carry the offense no matter what??

I never really get why some of us get so upset at other players that leave the organization. Oher may not have the best but he sure wasn't the worst, one thing about the kid was that he was never lazy, played to the whistle and did any and everything asked of him by this team.
    Bingo. I get the feeling that some of the people on here would have badmouthed Ray Lewis if he would have left in free agency. Oher has his faults but he's never done anything more egregious to the fans or the city of Baltimore then jumping offsides way too much. It just seems like people hold grudges when a player leaves no matter what the reason.

I never really get why some of us get so upset at other players that leave the organization. Oher may not have the best but he sure wasn't the worst, one thing about the kid was that he was never lazy, played to the whistle and did any and everything asked of him by this team.

did you watch him play AT ALL last year?

Playing to the whistle is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I saw, consistently... Last season he was BARELY averaging 2 seconds of effort on run plays.

He wasn't lazy, as you suggest, but in 5 years never learned how to hand punch or effectively use his arms/hands in pass pro? What the hell did he do in all those practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Bingo. I get the feeling that some of the people on here would have badmouthed Ray Lewis if he would have left in free agency. Oher has his faults but he's never done anything more egregious to the fans or the city of Baltimore then jumping offsides way too much. It just seems like people hold grudges when a player leaves no matter what the reason.
    I can only speak for myself, but I never liked Michael Oher more then the day he left.
    I know Baltimore has a soft spot for guys that play every game, but Oher was flat out a terrible player that shouldn't and quite possibly won;'t ever be starting in the NFL again. He is marginally better then the Ethan Brooks' of the football world. 2 straight years he graded out as one of the worst tackles in football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

They'd be throwing money away to cut him this year; with the guarantees they pretty much need to keep him around. They could cut him next year if they still don't think he's the guy. There must've been a reason to sign him to that 4 year deal, especially when you see so many one or two year deals these days.

I think their hope is that Roos is expendable or otherwise they'll have depth. No doubt they want to run the ball

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-ti...-contract-info

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!