Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OZZIE into the HOF - AGAIN?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's different because LeBeau was never inducted as a player. He's actually listed on the website as DB but would never have gotten in without being a coach as well.
    Looking at the write up on Lebeau, it appears he made it as a player. After all he's still coaching. Has anyone ever made the HOF while still actively on the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Has anyone ever made the HOF while still actively on the job?
    No. It's only open to players and coaches who have not played or coached for five years.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Looking at the write up on Lebeau, it appears he made it as a player. After all he's still coaching. Has anyone ever made the HOF while still actively on the job?
    That was how they got him in but if you heard the voters who talked about the process it was as much about his coaching. LeBeau hasn't played in more than 40 years. He had been up for the Hall of Fame many times and never made it. Now the guys voting are young enough that few ever saw him play except on tape. This was a coaching/playing pick.

Blog Entries

Although Ozzie is worthy of the HOF as a GM, he won't be inducted as a GM. He's already in the HOF. It doesn't work like that in Canton. A person won't have two busts. Ozzie is a Hall Of Famer, period. Can't be a two time HOFamer.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    No. It's only open to players and coaches who have not played or coached for five years.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx
    True for players and coaches, but the 5-year wait doesn't apply to contributors. Last year for example, both Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft were nominated.

Also of note: The NFL HOF just recently voted to add a separate "contributors" nomination process. In short, there will be a Contributor's Committee which will handle these nominations, similar to the Senior's Committee. Those nominated will still have to be elected by 80% of the regular HOF voters, but will have a separate quota, meaning they will not be competing against the players and coaches.

As best I can tell, someone could theoretically be elected twice, merely because the rules simply don't prohibit it. Realistically though, but I'd say the chances of Ozzie getting elected a 2nd time as a contributor are virtually nil. I do think there's a case to be made to have his GM accomplishments added to his HOF bust/profile, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    True for players and coaches, but the 5-year wait doesn't apply to contributors
    Right. I didn't go into detail on the other types of entry because the response was to whether or not Dick LeBeau could go in as a coach since he's still coaching. That's why he went in as a player, even though we all know his coaching is the reason he was selected.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I don't see a point of going in twice. I think they simply add to the career achievments listed under his bust...
    Perhaps they can add a sticker below his bust... "Also add three Super Bowl victories as Baltimore Ravens G.M."

... Bc