Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Mark Schlereth on Joe Flacco's Personality

Since Joe isn't normally all that vocal or demonstrative, when he does yell at a guy like he did with Doss in the preseason, it really gets everyone's attention because of how rare it is.
    You know you've really screwed up if Joe's mad enough at you to let you (and everyone else) know it.

Re: Mark Schlereth on Joe Flacco's Personality

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Since Joe isn't normally all that vocal or demonstrative, when he does yell at a guy like he did with Doss in the preseason, it really gets everyone's attention because of how rare it is.
    You know you've really screwed up if Joe's mad enough at you to let you (and everyone else) know it.
    Definitely. For me that game sealed Doss not making the 53 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Love him as a player, but based on how we've come to know him over the last 11+ years, Terrell Suggs simply isn't a leader. Leadership can come in all shapes and sizes but there are always common denominators--taking responsibility for yourself and others, acting as an example, upholding the standards and vision of the organization, etc.

That isn't Terrell Suggs. He is a good player and a huge benefit to the team in his own way, just not as a leader type.
    I've always thought that Suggsy plays an important role - that of Court Jester or he who states uncomfortable truths and cuts tension with comic relief. A kind of lightning rod whose words or antics can sometimes take the heat off his teammates. Of course that act plays best when he is also kicking ass on defense.

Not exactly the textbook definition of "leader," but a valuable function nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Just get me the wins. Whether you are Gomer Pyle or the Professor is not relevant if you get the wins.
    That sounds like a mixed comparison. Wouldn't "Gilligan or the Professor" be a better one, as they were opposite personalities on the same island? I mean, Gomer Pyle or the Professor? - same network, but different shows.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I think C.J. Mosley can be the future leader of the Ravens defense and he did get a good endorsement from Ray Lewis during the draft. Far as Joe is concerned I personally don't need to see him yell at guys to prove his leadership qualities.
    As long as Joe keeps winning like he has these past 6 yrs, I don't care if he comes on the field grunting like Helen Keller.....In the words of Al Davis, "Just Win Baby".....Joe Montana did it without ever losing his cool, and in my opinion, he was the greatest of all time... just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Link:
    Ravens Mobile: Late For Work 7/24: Joe Flacco Leadership Style Compared To John Elway | http://bit.ly/WFqklZ
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...4-3712bca5f969
    It's interesting to hear that Elway, famous as a leader, had a quiet leadership style. Was not a vocal rah-rah guy.

“John Elway never said boo,” Schlereth explained. “The only time he ever raised his voice in the huddle is when we were running out of time and needed to get to the line of scrimmage. That was it. So he wasn’t necessarily a real vocal leader, he was just great. And that’s good enough.”
    Elway was legendary as a leader. And it turns out he was rather like Joe. Interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    It's interesting to hear that Elway, famous as a leader, had a quiet leadership style. Was not a vocal rah-rah guy.

Elway was legendary as a leader. And it turns out he was rather like Joe. Interesting.
    I thought so too.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That sounds like a mixed comparison. Wouldn't "Gilligan or the Professor" be a better one, as they were opposite personalities on the same island? I mean, Gomer Pyle or the Professor? - same network, but different shows.
    As with my portfolio, I like to diversify.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

When people complain about a lack of vocal leadership or demonstrative, "alpha male" type leaders who dominate those around them, what I hear is this: these are people who themselves require a loud, powerful, alpha male figure to lead them. So they can't comprehend how anyone could accomplish anything without a coach or drill sergeant or fire and brimstone preacher screaming in their faces all day.

Most people are like that to some degree or another.

Joe leads just fine. There is no problem.

Blog Entries

One thing to add:

Notice how the Ravens are big on drafting and bringing in "leaders"? They place a premium on draft day on guys who were team captains in college, for example. When they bring in big name or well established vets it's almost always someone like Boldin, Steve Smith, Derrick Mason, Darryl Smith, etc. The lesser free agents are always hard workers like Corey Graham or Ihedigbo. Very very very rarely do they bring in a talented knucklehead like McKinnie. It's like they have a limit of no more than 1 guy like that at a time, and even then I think they do it very cautiously, after running out of all other good options.

This is because they understand that while they were blessed to have a great leader in Ray Lewis, at the end of the day, NFL football players need to be able to lead themselves.

Notice that most of these guys were guys they brought in WHILE they had Ray Lewis. Ray was a great leader, but as an organization as a whole, the Ravens did not DEPEND on him leading the team. If you have guys who depend on someone else to motivate them, you are screwed.

Even with all their talent, you can't win with teams full of Josh Gordons and Justin Blackmons - guys who can't make the right decisions on their own time. Even Ray Lewis can't be holding your hand 24 hours a day.

The Ravens understand this, as do the other good organizations in the league. Leadership is a characteristic that you want at every level of your franchise.

There may be (probably are) some industries where sheep-like passivity is desirable. But NFL teams are not that type of industry. Every player on the field has a battle to win -- an individual battle - on every play. You can't ask one guy to have to win his own battle AND make sure everybody else wins theirs. Every man has to be accountable, which is why every man has to be his own leader.