Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Chris Kluwe Goes After Ray Rice

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What's interesting is the latest PFT story and how it relates to this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-michael-sam/

Former Colts and Buccaneers head coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy says that if he were still an NFL head coach, he wouldn’t have drafted Michael Sam, who became the first openly gay player in league history when the Rams selected him in May.

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told the Tampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.
    Dungy is also highly religious...now I'm reading a lot into it, but I think his religious beliefs would play a roll as well.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankpembleton View Post
    Gotta love "distractions." Wonder if Dungy gave that type of "distraction avoidance" advice to teams looking to sign Michael Vick after the dog fighting incident? He was one of Vick's biggest supporters at the time.

At least he is out in the open with his backwards views and not hiding behind the Peter King cloak of anonymity.
    I think Dungy was speaking in terms of risk (distractions) vs reward (talent/contribution to the team). There's no doubt in my mind that Dungy would have selected someone like Clowney if he came out and admitted he were gay. Sams in his mind is a marginal NFL talent, and therefore not worth the potential media circus he could bring.

Blog Entries

What's interesting is the latest PFT story and how it relates to this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-michael-sam/

Former Colts and Buccaneers head coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy says that if he were still an NFL head coach, he wouldn’t have drafted Michael Sam, who became the first openly gay player in league history when the Rams selected him in May.

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ Dungy told the Tampa Tribune. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’

What Dungy is expressing publicly is similar to what some coaches and general managers have said privately, in anonymous quotes in stories about Sam before the draft. But Dungy is the highest-profile person in the NFL world to put his name behind the viewpoint that Sam would cause a distraction and would be more trouble than he’s worth.
    I kind of agree with Dungy. It is fine that he is gay but why make such a big deal of it? As a fan, I dont care who Michael Sam is screwing any more than I care who my next dooor neighbor is screwing. I guess the whole "come out of the closet" mentality rubs me the wrong. Live your life openly, you dont owe anyone an explanation. I kind of question Sam motivation for announcing his sexual preferance. Honestly, he is a guy that probably would have gone undrafted, if not for all the publicity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I kind of agree with Dungy. It is fine that he is gay but why make such a big deal of it? As a fan, I dont care who Michael Sam is screwing any more than I care who my next dooor neighbor is screwing. I guess the whole "come out of the closet" mentality rubs me the wrong. Live your life openly, you dont owe anyone an explanation. I kind of question Sam motivation for announcing his sexual preferance. Honestly, he is a guy that probably would have gone undrafted, if not for all the publicity.
    :word

The comparisons to Jackie Robinson by some were way over the top - the major difference being Robinson did not have to announce to the world that he was Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Dungy is also highly religious...now I'm reading a lot into it, but I think his religious beliefs would play a roll as well.
    I don't think you're reading allot into it at all. His religious beliefs have been well documented, along with his support of traditional family.

In this situation however, I really don't believe that he thinks Sams is a very good player, and certainly not worthy of all the potential media circus this will bring. Even though he really didn't say that.
    Last edited by lowrider; 07-21-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Kluwe is an attention whore and a hypocrite.

It's okay for him to make constant jokes in the locker room about child rape because it's just a joke, but a coach making a joke about gays is wrong. That's total hypocrisy - I can do it, but you can't. And for him to know about a situation with teammates and an underaged girl and not step up is borderline criminal. Kluwe has no moral high ground at all any more. He used to have something to say; now he just says something to be in the spotlight. What an effing tool. Gay rights supporters would be better off if Kluwe just went away.

Three points:

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You're wrong. Google strong atheism vs weak atheism. Virtually every modern atheist I've ever spoken to bases their atheism on the fact that their is no evidence for the existence of god, NOT that there is evidence for the nonexistence of god. Would you say that you're decision not to believe in Bigfoot is a religious one? What about Santa?

Further, as an atheist I'm a little confused how you can tell me the nature of my beliefs better than I can define them myself.
    Point 1: You are confusing "atheism" with "agnosticism", which was the original point. I have no clue what you believe. That's your business. But by definition, if you believe there is no evidence for the existence of God, you are agnostic. If you believe there is no God, you are atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Wait, what ...? Santa?!?

It's quite common for religious people to erroneously claim atheism is a religious belief. I think it's because they can't wrap their heads around the concept of non-belief.
    Point 2: It's actually the same as point 1. "Non-belief" is agnosticism. Atheism is the belief that God does not exist. There is a logical difference between the two.

Point 3: I absolutely do not come to RSR to debate theology. I only brought it up because Kluwe's statement as quoted by Haloti92, "agnostic religious beliefs," is contradictory. So I'm out. The last word is yours for the taking gentlemen.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I didn't want to draft Sam because I don't think he'll be a good football player. Plenty of guys come in with so much hype that it's a distraction. Tim Tebow had more media following him around than any player I had ever seen. The Jets had to set up a whole room for him because the huge amount of media who were there every day. Will the media around Sam be any worse than that? I doubt it. It will be crazy at times but it's going to die down because he's not going to get the abuse that the guys writing stories want to see.

Blog Entries

I didn't want to draft Sam because I don't think he'll be a good football player. Plenty of guys come in with so much hype that it's a distraction. Tim Tebow had more media following him around than any player I had ever seen. The Jets had to set up a whole room for him because the huge amount of media who were there every day. Will the media around Sam be any worse than that? I doubt it. It will be crazy at times but it's going to die down because he's not going to get the abuse that the guys writing stories want to see.
    I dont follow. I am not saying the media hype hurt his draft stock. I am saying it helped his draft stock. He does not fit an NFL defense, I think he would have gone undrafted if not for his public declaration.

Blog Entries

I dont follow. I am not saying the media hype hurt his draft stock. I am saying it helped his draft stock. He does not fit an NFL defense, I think he would have gone undrafted if not for his public declaration.
    Dungy is saying that the reason he wouldn't have drafted Sam is because of the attention. At least that's how I read his comments about "things will happen". To me Sam has more of a right to be angry about that attitude than Kluwe does from the attitude that he received and is now suing for.

Blog Entries

Kluwe who? What are his accomishments or anything? Yeah. Don't care.

As for Sam. Yeah again who cares. He'll be a no one. Keep your own sexually life in your own bedroom. Why I can't stand the people that flaunt it. Than demand equal rights. For what? Do whatever you want in your bedroom. You don't need to broadcast it. Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Kluwe who? What are his accomishments or anything? Yeah. Don't care.

As for Sam. Yeah again who cares. He'll be a no one. Keep your own sexually life in your own bedroom. Why I can't stand the people that flaunt it. Than demand equal rights. For what? Do whatever you want in your bedroom. You don't need to broadcast it. Wtf
    You are pretty quick to dismiss Sam without him having even suited up for his first training camp.

Do you also get angry about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3l40cluTyM

They demand equal rights for marriage.