Blog Entries

Re: FAN'S CHOICE: Ravens All-Time Team, Cornerback

McCallister
    Starks
    Webb
    rolle
    Baxter
    Smith

much maligned Cary williams was my 7th choice.

i like graham, and he made some plays here, but he wasnt as consistently good imo as Rolle (who played at a higher level when healthy and comparable level after) or Williams (who i think was huge in stepping up for an injured webb to be our #1 corner, not our 3rd corner like graham).
    Last edited by JAB1985; 07-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.
    -JAB

I was hoping this would be the first position that we didn't vote in a player who experienced most of their success with another team, but it looks like Primetime is going to fill the 6th slot.

Cary Williams should fill that slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I was hoping this would be the first position that we didn't vote in a player who experienced most of their success with another team, but it looks like Primetime is going to fill the 6th slot.
    Dear God I hope not. The criteria clearly says "contributions as a Raven."

Whole career considered, Prime is clearly the best CB on that list, and he may well be the best CB on ANY list. But IMO he is ahead of only Fabian Washington and Josh Wilson in terms of what he brought to the Purple and Black.
    "Chin up, chest out."

McAlister, Webb, Starks top 3. Rolle and Baxter probably belong. Beyond that, quite frankly, there's very little separation with respect to the 6th spot.

Jimmy Smith having such a high share of the vote surprises me. I'm very excited about what we'll be saying about him at the end of his career, but it took 2 1/2 years for the light to come on for him. I have a hard time putting a guy who has basically 10 good career games for the Ravens on any kind of top list. Again, he might still make it based on "what have you done for me lately" factor.

I think he was vastly, vastly overrated by fans during his time here but Cary Williams probably gets the 6th spot. He was torched pretty consistently by good QBs (I think he led the league in 1st down completions given up by a CB in 2012 IIRC) but he had his moments.

I also think Chris Carr deserves a little love. He was an excellent nickel CB in 2009 and unexpectedly stepped up to play extremely well as a starter in 2010. He might belong on the list of "top unheralded guys who stepped up when needed."

Blog Entries

CMAC was the man.

Jimmy Smith will be...

I struggle to see why Cary Williams is getting so much love. He was graded out to be the 6th worst cornerback in the NFL (or something like that) and was one of the most penalized players out there.

Blog Entries

What...no Foxworth?

"What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I struggle to see why Cary Williams is getting so much love. He was graded out to be the 6th worst cornerback in the NFL (or something like that) and was one of the most penalized players out there.
    Like I said, I'm torn on who to give the 6th spot to because none of the options are really all that good. The case for Cary Williams basically comes down to the reality that the team trusted him enough to make him a 32 game starter and he was a major contributor to the Super Bowl run. He definitely had an unimpressive year in 2012 by a lot of measures but the defense overall was quite weak that year.

I think it's a tossup between him and Chris Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    What...no Foxworth?

Gots to be Frank "the flag" Walker!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Like I said, I'm torn on who to give the 6th spot to because none of the options are really all that good. The case for Cary Williams basically comes down to the reality that the team trusted him enough to make him a 32 game starter and he was a major contributor to the Super Bowl run. He definitely had an unimpressive year in 2012 by a lot of measures but the defense overall was quite weak that year.

I think it's a tossup between him and Chris Carr.
    The team didn't trust him, they had to start him. Webb tore his ACL, Jimmy wasn't playing up to his potential (and was probably injured) and the other corners were geriatric Chris Johnson (not CJ2K) and Chykie Brown.

ROFL @ Fabian Washington and Cory Ivy. They should have put Frank Walker up there if they wanted to go full troll