Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Quarterback Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Are they gaps or is he just young? There is usually a lot of growth for a QB from year 1 to year 5. I don't we've seen the player that Russell Wilson will end up becoming. He seems to have a very good head for the game which is going to take to him to a much higher level of play over the next 3 years.
    True but he was a pretty old rookie at 24 years old. I think defenses might be able to figure out his scrambling tendencies too, last year he made some truly awful plays where he ran backwards about 30 yards. If defenses can make him into a pocket passer, given his height, he might have some difficulties ahead. So far he's had the opportunity to pick and choose the times to make plays given his great defense, let's see how he does when he's up against it and is forced to lead a comeback.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    This is the year we learn if that criticism was wrong...
    Perhaps, but it might be more obvious in 2015 or 2016. This is Flacco's first year under Kubiak's offense, and maybe it takes more than just one season to "get it." Plus, the Ravens haven't exactly provided high-profile, young offensive players through the draft over the last two. While I'm not complaining because I am a defensive guy, he still doesn't (IMO) have a full compliment of talented offensive stars surrounding him.
    Still, he could excel with the squad if all goes right, especially injury-wise. As I've posted before, I don't care where Joe is ranked as long as the 2014 Ravens make the playoffs, and I believe they will... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps, but it might be more obvious in 2015 or 2016. This is Flacco's first year under Kubiak's offense, and maybe it takes more than just one season to "get it." Plus, the Ravens haven't exactly provided high-profile, young offensive players through the draft over the last two. While I'm not complaining because I am a defensive guy, he still doesn't (IMO) have a full compliment of talented offensive stars surrounding him.
    Still, he could excel with the squad if all goes right, especially injury-wise. As I've posted before, I don't care where Joe is ranked as long as the 2014 Ravens make the playoffs, and I believe they will... Bc
    Pretty well said my friend and I agree that Joe hasn't been surrounded by a full compliment of young talent, despite that I do believe he will be fine this year with the additions of Steve Smith, Owen Daniels and the potential of a better offensive line. Steve Smith may be 35 years old and father time is certainly undefeated but as of right now I'm not betting against that dude, the AFC North defensive backs better be prepared to Ice Up Son LOL.

Right now, after a subpar 2013 campaign, you'd have to have Flacco ranked outside of the top 10. I'd still hesitate to put Ryan or Romo ahead of him though. After the 2012 season, you could make the argument he was in the top 6, but 2013 really took some luster off.

That being said, too much has been made of Flacco's supposed "inaccuracy". Most of this is being spouted by guys who regurgitate top layer stats, such as completion percentage, without realizing that the system he was playing in was a low percentage system. Flacco is actually a very accurate QB, that was his rep coming out of college, and his pre-draft workouts showed that as well. I remember Jaw's breaking Flacco film down one day, saying that he had to throw into the tightest windows of any QB in the NFL.

I think Flacco's weakness is, and always has been the quickness of reading the defenses. Kubiak's offense will help vastly with that, as well as jack his completion percentage way up. It'll be interesting to see if people still think Flacco is "inaccurate" after a few games with 70+ percent completion percentage in a West Coast offense.

I'd put Joe in there with all those QB's who finished tied for 8th, though I would say he was slightly better but pretty close. Except Romo, He is definitely way better than Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Right now, after a subpar 2013 campaign, you'd have to have Flacco ranked outside of the top 10. I'd still hesitate to put Ryan or Romo ahead of him though. After the 2012 season, you could make the argument he was in the top 6, but 2013 really took some luster off.

That being said, too much has been made of Flacco's supposed "inaccuracy". Most of this is being spouted by guys who regurgitate top layer stats, such as completion percentage, without realizing that the system he was playing in was a low percentage system. Flacco is actually a very accurate QB, that was his rep coming out of college, and his pre-draft workouts showed that as well. I remember Jaw's breaking Flacco film down one day, saying that he had to throw into the tightest windows of any QB in the NFL.

I think Flacco's weakness is, and always has been the quickness of reading the defenses. Kubiak's offense will help vastly with that, as well as jack his completion percentage way up. It'll be interesting to see if people still think Flacco is "inaccurate" after a few games with 70+ percent completion percentage in a West Coast offense.
    Yup. I'm waaaay more concerned with his post-season ranking.
    Which should be pretty high after we get that trophy back here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

That's a very good post. I've been an advocate of Joe playing in the WCO for that same reason. It's going to force him to make better prereads and quick reads once the ball in snapped. The first quarter of the season could still be an adjustment period but it's going to click sooner rather than later.

Blog Entries

Agree 100%. I dont expect him to come out be throwing 70% to start the season, but i do think hell be doing better than the 60 he has been. I think Jaws breakdown was dead on. Ive always seen Flacco as accurate a passer as any other QB not named rodgers, just that he didnt have the majority of his passes being easier completions to boost his stats or get him in a rhythm. That should change now and i dont think should be understated.
    -JAB

Also, it's hard to make post snap reads when you're running for your life. Joe was sacked 48 times in 2013. 2nd highest in the league. Which IMO had some impact on his accuracy as well.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis