Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quarterback Rankings

Here is yet another ranking of NFL QB's. I'm posting the Ravens summary of the article rather than the article itself since most of us are not blessed enough to be ESPN 'Insiders.'

I thought it was interesting because based on the source (eight general managers, two former GMs, four pro personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches and a top executive from around the league) it theoretically would be the most informed and least biased ranking like this that we've seen.

Our Joe finished 12th, and I really can't quibble with that.

There were a few things that made me think that it can't be all that hard to get a high-level job in the NFL. One of the 26 people (presumably it was the same person) had Brees, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all as Tier 2 QB's. Who does he think is Tier 1? God? Terry Bradshaw?

Also, I thought this quote about Joe was pretty hysterical:
    ...he's kind of got the droopy face, kind of like the Jay Cutler face, where it always looks like things are bad.
    So, you're evaluating QB's for a living, and THIS is what concerns you? The 'droopiness' of his face? SMH

I still wouldn't rank Romo or Ryan above Joe, but that may just be purple glasses, or the fact that I see Joe play all the time, whereas many of these guys might not see much more of Joe than SportsCenter highlights and one live game every four years.

But overall, this list matched pretty closely what I would do if I were to sit down and rank them myself.

Other points of interest:
    • Nine people had Nick Foles as a bottom tier guy. I guess all of last season was a fluke?
    • That's a lot of love for Andrew Luck over Philip Rivers. Luck had a very good year, but Rivers has been doing it awhile, and had an even BETTER year.
    • Two people thought Flacco was a top-tier (elite?) QB.
    • Interestingly, even though Matt Ryan ranked ahead of Flacco, he did not have a single person list him as tier-one. Opinions on Flacco are all over the map, but Ryan is pretty clearly seen as a solid tier 2 guy.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Re: Quarterback Rankings

and that kind of quote will certainly propel the argument that people just dont like Flacco. What the hell does what he looks like have to do with ranking him as a QB?

the rankings could be exactly the same as the way i feel but with insights like that how can it be taken even remotely serious. Not the writers fault in this case that the interviewee said that, but why bother inserting that into your article?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I think this is about right. Flacco can appear to be a tier 1 guy on some days, a tier 3 guy the next. When it all shakes out, he's where he is, just outside of the so called elite with potential to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Nine people had Nick Foles as a bottom tier guy. I guess all of last season was a fluke?
    Actually it looks like he has 9 votes for a 3rd tier out of 5 rating, that's not too bad.

The main thing that concerns me about Flacco is this criticism:

"He has a big arm, but he misses so many plays because he doesn't read defenses well," the second defensive coordinator said. "On film, you see guys open, but he doesn't throw it to the right guy."

We complain a lot about the offensive coordinators, but it must be frustrating to design a good play and have the QB not find the open man. Hopefully Flacco can improve in this area, I think it is his one big weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Actually it looks like he has 9 votes for a 3rd tier out of 5 rating, that's not too bad.

"He has a big arm, but he misses so many plays because he doesn't read defenses well," the second defensive coordinator said. "On film, you see guys open, but he doesn't throw it to the right guy."

We complain a lot about the offensive coordinators, but it must be frustrating to design a good play and have the QB not find the open man. Hopefully Flacco can improve in this area, I think it is his one big weakness.
    Yeah, I agree with that. It's hard to tell as fans, because most of us don't ever see the all-22. And even if there is someone open on the right, if Joe's first read according to the play design is on the left, then he wouldn't see it if he's doing everything correctly.

That was one instance where I would REALLY love to know the source of that quote to know how much I should be worried about it.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I wonder where Flacco was ranked in 2012? To me individual or team rankings are pretty useless, but they sure are fun to talk about... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I wonder where Flacco was ranked in 2012?
    Probably quite a range, depending on whether the question was asked post-reg season, or after the SB.

There are only 2 QBs that I would absolutely want the Ravens to trade Flacco for right now. Those two are Rodgers and Luck. I would need to think about Wilson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post

This is the year we learn if that criticism was wrong.

To give my slant on this, gotta talk about Cam Cameron and his maddening predictability. I am not skilled but many times I could call the play and if I could do it, people like Ed Reed, LeBeau .... could do it easily.... just know the progression and as soon as Joe takes his eyes off your man take off for the new prime area. Pass thrown, gets batted down and some talking head "genius" says "Oh this man was wide open!"

Not saying Joe is totally innocent in this, but the scheme(s) sure didn't do him any favors. ---- (Clayton end around for -2, now it is third and long.... prime time Cam... Boldin to the sideline out)

What I have been hearing about Kubiak, his scheme will be tailored for Joe's strengths .... if Joe does have a real problem in this area we will see it pretty quick, but my anticipation is it will disappear and the haters bandwagon will lose a wheel or two
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    This is the year we learn if that criticism was wrong...
    Perhaps, but it might be more obvious in 2015 or 2016. This is Flacco's first year under Kubiak's offense, and maybe it takes more than just one season to "get it." Plus, the Ravens haven't exactly provided high-profile, young offensive players through the draft over the last two. While I'm not complaining because I am a defensive guy, he still doesn't (IMO) have a full compliment of talented offensive stars surrounding him.
    Still, he could excel with the squad if all goes right, especially injury-wise. As I've posted before, I don't care where Joe is ranked as long as the 2014 Ravens make the playoffs, and I believe they will... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps, but it might be more obvious in 2015 or 2016. This is Flacco's first year under Kubiak's offense, and maybe it takes more than just one season to "get it." Plus, the Ravens haven't exactly provided high-profile, young offensive players through the draft over the last two. While I'm not complaining because I am a defensive guy, he still doesn't (IMO) have a full compliment of talented offensive stars surrounding him.
    Still, he could excel with the squad if all goes right, especially injury-wise. As I've posted before, I don't care where Joe is ranked as long as the 2014 Ravens make the playoffs, and I believe they will... Bc
    Pretty well said my friend and I agree that Joe hasn't been surrounded by a full compliment of young talent, despite that I do believe he will be fine this year with the additions of Steve Smith, Owen Daniels and the potential of a better offensive line. Steve Smith may be 35 years old and father time is certainly undefeated but as of right now I'm not betting against that dude, the AFC North defensive backs better be prepared to Ice Up Son LOL.

Right now, after a subpar 2013 campaign, you'd have to have Flacco ranked outside of the top 10. I'd still hesitate to put Ryan or Romo ahead of him though. After the 2012 season, you could make the argument he was in the top 6, but 2013 really took some luster off.

That being said, too much has been made of Flacco's supposed "inaccuracy". Most of this is being spouted by guys who regurgitate top layer stats, such as completion percentage, without realizing that the system he was playing in was a low percentage system. Flacco is actually a very accurate QB, that was his rep coming out of college, and his pre-draft workouts showed that as well. I remember Jaw's breaking Flacco film down one day, saying that he had to throw into the tightest windows of any QB in the NFL.

I think Flacco's weakness is, and always has been the quickness of reading the defenses. Kubiak's offense will help vastly with that, as well as jack his completion percentage way up. It'll be interesting to see if people still think Flacco is "inaccurate" after a few games with 70+ percent completion percentage in a West Coast offense.