Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 53
  1. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium



    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Lastly, we don't take off our hats for Lee Greenwood, but it is appropriate to take them off as the colors enter the stadium. From the Flag Code:
    Small point of correction. Not when they enter the stadium. Just when they pass in front of you (like in a parade, as mentioned in the code). The flag doesn't pass certain portions of the stadium, thus the men in those sections do not have to remove their covers.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #38

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Just a simple suggestion and it's free ;-)

    Give us a break here and there from the near constant music so the Fans can do their own cheers.

    Give us 15-30 seconds after the Band plays the fight song and the R-A-V-E-N-S cheer will go clear round the Stadium, much like the C-O-L-T-S cheer did in Memorial. Five sections have done it on a regular basis for 16 seasons now, and on key scores another 3 or 4 sections join in. It's pretty electrifying and the Fans in those sections really love it. What if the whole Stadium did it lol?!
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  3. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,151

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Small point of correction. Not when they enter the stadium. Just when they pass in front of you (like in a parade, as mentioned in the code). The flag doesn't pass certain portions of the stadium, thus the men in those sections do not have to remove their covers.
    The flag code doesn't specifically cover stadiums, and the language reflects the more common circumstance of an actual moving parade along a street or some such. I agree it's open to interpretation. If you are behind the visitors bench, the flag isn't actually ever paraded directly in front of you, so you could say you don't need to remove your hat at all.

    My view is that as we are all spectators in a bowl staring at the same field, when the flag enters the field it is being paraded in front of you. It's never the wrong thing to remove your hat to show respect for the soldiers and the flag in front of you, just as it's not wrong to remove it when indoors or in front of a lady (although no one adheres to those rules either.)

    I wouldn't criticize someone for remaining lidded during Lee Greenwood the way I would if they remain lidded during the anthem. But I think it's right and appropriate to remove your lid when the flag enters the arena.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The flag code doesn't specifically cover stadiums, and the language reflects the more common circumstance of an actual moving parade along a street or some such. I agree it's open to interpretation. If you are behind the visitors bench, the flag isn't actually ever paraded directly in front of you, so you could say you don't need to remove your hat at all.

    My view is that as we are all spectators in a bowl staring at the same field, when the flag enters the field it is being paraded in front of you. It's never the wrong thing to remove your hat to show respect for the soldiers and the flag in front of you, just as it's not wrong to remove it when indoors or in front of a lady (although no one adheres to those rules either.)

    I wouldn't criticize someone for remaining lidded during Lee Greenwood the way I would if they remain lidded during the anthem. But I think it's right and appropriate to remove your lid when the flag enters the arena.
    You make good points. I bet there's language out there somewhere that covers this. I'd imagine this has been addressed via the service academies. It wold be interesting to see their thoughts on it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #41

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Proud to be an American became inspirational when it played to accompany the display of colors, shortly after 9/11. With many local employees who worked at the Pentagon, and their families and neighbors being honored, it would be a shame to discontinue it. Playing it to accompany the flag ceremony has become part of the Ravens pre-game tradition. Fortunately, the playing of the National Anthem has been segregated to be played after the visiting team enters the field, so that we no longer have the chorus of boos accompanying the need of the anthem.

    America the Beautiful isn't going to catch on, after at least five decades of the movement trying to have it supplant the Star Spangled banner as the National Anthem, because it drags too much; it would fit better as a funeral march.

    As to the question "what other songs could they use" -- almost any tune written by John Phillip Sousa should qualify.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I've been to many away games, and no one in the league does anything remotely close to what we do to honor the country before our games. As ActualSpamBot points out, it's not a memorial service. It is certainly not something we HAVE to do.

    And that makes me even more proud that we take the time and spend the money to do it. It was important to Modell, and a great part of his legacy that I hope we never lose. How often do servicemen get cheered by tens of thousands of people? Thanks to Baltimore, at least ten times a year.

    As to the song itself, I'd prefer to keep it. I don't love the song, but it has become part of the soundtrack to my Sundays. Gamedays have a very specific rhythm to them, and I love anything that keeps me in that rhythm. I don't love "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" as a song either, but I hope they never stop playing it at O's games. It's part of what makes us unique.
    Great points and I agree completely. Well said.




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Escalators to the top of the stadium. I fear for a super moderator's life.

    We need less cell towers, not more.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  7. #43

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    As to the question "what other songs could they use" -- almost any tune written by John Phillip Sousa should qualify.
    Some options:
    Stars and Stripes Forever (the National March of the United States of America, and easily performed in the 3-ish minutes that God Bless the USA takes)
    Semper Fidelis (Official March of the United States Marine Corps, written by Sousa while he was the conductor of the Marine Corps Band, as were most of the other well known marches he composed)
    Washington Post
    The Thunderer

    There are about a hundred or so others to choose from, but those are some of the most well known. I'm partial to Stars and Stripes Forever myself. Highly appropriate given that the flag is parading in front of us.




  8. #44

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Some options:
    Stars and Stripes Forever (the National March of the United States of America, and easily performed in the 3-ish minutes that God Bless the USA takes)
    Semper Fidelis (Official March of the United States Marine Corps, written by Sousa while he was the conductor of the Marine Corps Band, as were most of the other well known marches he composed)
    Washington Post
    The Thunderer

    There are about a hundred or so others to choose from, but those are some of the most well known. I'm partial to Stars and Stripes Forever myself. Highly appropriate given that the flag is parading in front of us.
    Most of the Service bands use a trio to the march National Emblem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO5n3k4b0m8

    They also use the Grandioso of the Stars & Stripes Forever (last 32 measures), and the Marine Band likes Semper Fidelis of course.

    With so many premier Service bands in the area (Army Band, Marine Band, Naval Academy Band, Army Field Band to name a few), I've often wondered why the Ravens don't invite them to M&T occassionally. The Baltimore Colts used to do it quite a bit.

    Thursday Sept 11th we have a home game vs Pitt. That is 2 days before the 200th anniversary of the bombardment of Fort McHenry in Baltimore and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner. I certainly hope they invite one of them to that event. Personally I'd like to see the Army Band and the entire 3rd Infantry ceremonial unit arrayed on the field.

    I hope all you lame personnel grab your sacks and sing your National Anthem with pride for a change too.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  9. #45

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Escalators to the top of the stadium. I fear for a super moderator's life.
    With Elevator music please
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville
    Posts
    266

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    I like Proud to be an American, I hope they keep it. If you dont like the Marching Ravens go watch their ESPN 30 for 30 special and see how much heart these folks have and you will never bash them again. Escalators! I dont care how, if liability is an issue send out a freaking waiver form to all upper deck PSL owners, trust me we would sign it. What I would like is something outside or around the stadium that is huge, like that herd of ponies in Denver or the pirate ship in Tampa. How about a 40 ft high Steel raven that looks toward the harbor 355 days a years but rotates and looks down into the stadium on game day. They could mount it on one of the corners of the stadium. That would improve my game day experience. And add escalators!
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!




  11. #47

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Fcowher View Post
    How about a 40 ft high Steel raven that looks toward the harbor 355 days a years but rotates and looks down into the stadium on game day. They could mount it on one of the corners of the stadium. That would improve my game day experience. And add escalators!
    Art Modell was going to build one - with flashing red eyes! It cost alot so he decided the money was better spent on the team. That would really be cool though. It should have really huge balls too like the flying Pigs in the Pink Floyd concerts.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  12. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    With Elevator music please
    Nah, not that mundane musac music. Eeewk.

    Speaking of the anthem, I used to yell at folks in the front to remove their hats when the flag marched across the field and they played Lee Greenwood's song. Guys didn't like it but we need to show respect for the flag, not just during the anthem.

    Those of us that got drafted and served appreciate it.

    This song sends chills down my spine and then the fighter planes do a fly by. Totally awesome.

    http://www.songlyrics.com/lee-greenwood/america-lyrics/
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland