Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens & 49ers Joint practice

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...b-62c53c37e0f1

anybody worried and/or not liking this as much as i am?

I think theres still a lot of bitterness and resentment there to be having a joint "friendly" practice. Im all for firing up the guys to get the best out of them but to me i like saving the hard hitting for the games that matter and limiting injury possibilities for the same reason. I dont see the benefit of this.

there is the saying that "iron sharpens iron" but why a fellow perennial SB contender like ourselves who we may actually see again. Either youre showing them things they probably shouldnt be seeing, or youre toning down your own practice to not show them things you dont want them to see. either way its a negative in my mind.

the only redeeming quality i can find is at least the other teams doing the same thing, i just dont see the point in it.
    -JAB

Re: Ravens & 49ers Joint practice

It's a practice. The players know how far to push it. Not a big deal, IMO.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It's a practice. The players know how far to push it. Not a big deal, IMO.
    :word

Blog Entries

I don't think it's a big deal...

But what's the over/under or betting odds on a Steve Smith fight?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...b-62c53c37e0f1

anybody worried and/or not liking this as much as i am?

I think theres still a lot of bitterness and resentment there to be having a joint "friendly" practice. Im all for firing up the guys to get the best out of them but to me i like saving the hard hitting for the games that matter and limiting injury possibilities for the same reason. I dont see the benefit of this.

there is the saying that "iron sharpens iron" but why a fellow perennial SB contender like ourselves who we may actually see again. Either youre showing them things they probably shouldnt be seeing, or youre toning down your own practice to not show them things you dont want them to see. either way its a negative in my mind.

the only redeeming quality i can find is at least the other teams doing the same thing, i just dont see the point in it.
    I understand, would be a lot more comfortable if that weren't doing this immediately AFTER playing a preseason game against them.... too little time for emotions to calm down, and too big a risk of fight/retaliation .... like hockey playoffs, usually don't see the fights in the first game, but by the second or third it is extremely chippy.

Be interesting, coaches going to have some extra things to pay attention to.... I can see doing it with maybe Washington who we don't play until 2 weeks later, or the Eagles who we don't play at all but to have players practice against someone they just smashed heads with?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Hope it's being done in the daytime. They can't turn off the Sun like the lights in Super Bowl XLVII... Bc

Blog Entries

and somewhere Josh Gordon is thinking, "Damn, I missed joint practice!"

Just to be clear. It's actually 4 days / 4 practices. Only the 1st day is open to the public.

Blog Entries

Its just practice I dont think is a good answer. You dont ypically practice against other teams. Thats how somebody takes something too far. Were not the first team to do this and looking back theirs almost always a skirmish in these types practices. Somebody pushes too hard or hits too late.seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
    -JAB

I don't see much reason to be concerned. It's a preseason game with zero meaning on the outcome of the season, the starters will play a two quarters at most, and the Ravens and 49ers don't play each other in 2014. If there's anyone who has reason to be angry after a preseason game it's rookies and guys who are playing for jobs.

Its just practice I dont think is a good answer. You dont ypically practice against other teams. Thats how somebody takes something too far. Were not the first team to do this and looking back theirs almost always a skirmish in these types practices. Somebody pushes too hard or hits too late.seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
    There are a LOT of teams practicing against each other. And there are fights within their only teams too.

Steelers/Bills
    Patriots/Eagles
    Raiders/Cowboys
    Texans/Falcons
    Patriots/Redskins
    Texans/Broncos

I honestly don't see any problem.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The Patriots do joint practices every year and clearly they gain some advantage from it.