Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Improving the experience at M&T Bank Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm ok with the song and know why they play that specific song at that moment.

Many soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen of a certain age hear that song upon graduating from their respective basic training classes.

What bugs me is when fans treat it like the anthem and remove their hats. The removal of hats should only done my the men in the crowd and only for the anthem.

I know that sounds persnickety but I'm a color guard guy from my MP days.

I don't remember that song during my graduation, lol.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't remember that song during my graduation, lol.
    Certain age ... i.e us old farts

Blog Entries

Certain age ... i.e us old farts
    You're not that much older than I am.

I'm ok with the song and know why they play that specific song at that moment. Many soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen of a certain age hear that song upon graduating from their respective basic training classes. What bugs me is when fans treat it like the anthem and remove their hats. The removal of hats should only done my the men in the crowd and only for the anthem. I know that sounds persnickety but I'm a color guard guy from my MP days. All that said, the thought of playing America the Beautiful might be a nice change of pace.
    The song is played during the presentation of colors. It isn't just played by itself.

You are supposed to stand during presentation of colors. With hat off. And keep it off until colors are taken down.

At least that's what I've been trained to do for baseball.

Otherwise, I agree. And I feel the same about God Bless America during 7th inning stretches. When did we start to treat every patriotic song like it was the National Amthem. What's next, standing at attention for This Land is My Land?

And I would like it to change, too. It is old and not as uplifting as America the Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You're not that much older than I am.
    10 years maybe?

Blog Entries

10 years maybe?
    Maybe, haha.

I've never liked Proud to be an American...it's just kinda chessy.

Wasn't played at my graduation either wicked. But HR is an old fart.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

As someone who lives in DC and has been to Redskins games at FedEx, the experience at M&T is so incomparably better that I can't really think of anything that's a real need for the stadium. Even driving up from DC, parking, and exiting after the game isn't too much of a struggle comparatively.

The only things I want are minor. More smoking areas, although that's unlikely and I understand why they've started making restrictions. Maybe a little bit more variety with the food and drink options, but again, not like we're really lacking.

I just really hope that, whenever the time to build a new stadium comes, it stays close to downtown. Being able to visit the harbor and nearby bars before and after the game is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Why? Its a football game not a memorial day event. One patriotic anthem, complete with color guard and a flyover should be enough.
    After reading other posts my question was what other songs could they use?? Posters listed good choices.

After that it would come down to the owner's choice. Maybe he likes the song and it will continue. Just like the marching band it may never change.

Proud to be an American became inspirational when it played to accompany the display of colors, shortly after 9/11. With many local employees who worked at the Pentagon, and their families and neighbors being honored, it would be a shame to discontinue it. Playing it to accompany the flag ceremony has become part of the Ravens pre-game tradition. Fortunately, the playing of the National Anthem has been segregated to be played after the visiting team enters the field, so that we no longer have the chorus of boos accompanying the need of the anthem.

America the Beautiful isn't going to catch on, after at least five decades of the movement trying to have it supplant the Star Spangled banner as the National Anthem, because it drags too much; it would fit better as a funeral march.

As to the question "what other songs could they use" -- almost any tune written by John Phillip Sousa should qualify.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

There's only so much you can do with The Vault. I liked what they've done so far, but as a facility, I still find it lacking when compared to it's counterparts around the country. IMO, it's a middle their stadium that's on the cusp of being replaceable.

The new scoreboards were crucial. It's a good thing they caught up to the times and went HD. Improved concessions would be a huge draw. Many of us simply don't eat in the stadium. That dynamic needs to change.

I've been to many away games, and no one in the league does anything remotely close to what we do to honor the country before our games. As ActualSpamBot points out, it's not a memorial service. It is certainly not something we HAVE to do.

And that makes me even more proud that we take the time and spend the money to do it. It was important to Modell, and a great part of his legacy that I hope we never lose. How often do servicemen get cheered by tens of thousands of people? Thanks to Baltimore, at least ten times a year.

As to the song itself, I'd prefer to keep it. I don't love the song, but it has become part of the soundtrack to my Sundays. Gamedays have a very specific rhythm to them, and I love anything that keeps me in that rhythm. I don't love "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" as a song either, but I hope they never stop playing it at O's games. It's part of what makes us unique.

Lastly, we don't take off our hats for Lee Greenwood, but it is appropriate to take them off as the colors enter the stadium. From the Flag Code:

§177. Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.
    "Chin up, chest out."