UFC 175 & The State of the Sport

So I decided to order the fight tonight and I'm already regretting it. I'll still stay up and watch, but the product is suffering IMO.

Watered down thanks to the UFC gobbling up the other fight companies and now the plague of PED use is snagging some of their best athletes.

Anyone else watching? Any thoughts on where the sport is heading in general?

Re: UFC 175 & The State of the Sport

I am watching and I disagree. Of the last 6 pay per views, there has only been 1 that I felt like we got less than our money's worth. I think the product has gotten better the last 3 years or so.

Buy rates are way down, thanks to the departure of GSP and Anderson Silva.

Outside of John Jones, they don't have another marquee fighter out there. Sonnen was supposed to be the guy everyone loved to hate but now he's gone too.

I think the UFC takes a step back this year and rethinks their strategy.

Looking forward to the Weidman fight though. He's something special and if he can string together more title defenses, he can be very good for the franchise.

Blog Entries

Sonnen was done long before his latest issues. He was on his swan song where hed get a couple extra fights he probably didnt deserve, prolonged by pulling off that surprise against shogun. Theres some good up and comers the problem is they lost their two biggest draws at the same time. Jones is still worth watching and I think his division is closer to him than silvas or gsps ever was. If youre willing to invest time/money in getting to watch a new era its no different but that said its clearly in a transition.

Id also say with its popularity youre seeing more diverse talent. I dont think the age of long reigns will be much more. I think thatll make for less viewers personally. I can already see guys saying" hes no silva, he didnt keep the belt very long" when silva had some of the easiest competition. Guys coming now are very talented but much more equal with peers. Should equate to better fights, lesser legacies. Imo.

Im not watching because im drained from two days straight with little shade but my predictions are weidman by decision, rousey by arm bar (you know itll happen just not when). Ive not bee. Buying ppv for over two years now. Usually hit up BWWs for the fights when im not being old and boring and in bed by 10.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

They need more star power besides Jon Jones. There are tons of up and coming mma guys out there. They just need to find some, market them properly, and get better fights.

I kind of like the FX mma competition show, Ultimate Fighter I think? Maybe teams would be a good way to think about things in the UFC?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Good fights overall again tonight. Rhonda Rousey is a beast and no one is going to beat her anytime soon and although the Weidman fight was a little boring, it was because Machida usually is boring with his countering style.

Blog Entries

Honestly I thought Rousey might have a little competition this time but that certainly wasn't the case. She's like the Mike Tyson of MMA.
    Last edited by GOTA; 07-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Baby got sick so I had to watch on replay.

Not a bad fight night. Not great either. Unfortunate thing with Struve. I sure hope he's ok and it's nothing serious.

No surprises with the women's fight. There's Rousey and then everyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Baby got sick so I had to watch on replay.

Not a bad fight night. Not great either. Unfortunate thing with Struve. I sure hope he's ok and it's nothing serious.

No surprises with the women's fight. There's Rousey and then everyone else.
    I believe struve needed an exemption or waiver (some kind of clearance) to fight as it was because he has a heart condition. Hes probably done now.
    -JAB