Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens All-Time Team: Safety

Team has not had very good safeties outside of Reed and Woodson, who probably shouldn't be on a Ravens all-time team since he's known as a Steeler.

Having said that, given that they are obvious choices, there's really only three options for the third, Herring, Landry, and Bernard Pollard, who inexplicably isn't on this list while you included such greats as Will Demps and Stevan Moore.

I guess I don't get why Landry is a no-brainer. If it's about contributions as Ravens, wouldn't Herring's contributions to SB35 team or Pollard (I know, not on the list) contributions to the 2012 team take greater importance over just being around for a long time? And in that respect, why is Landry a no-brainer while Matt Birk is the runaway winner in the C vote? Wouldn't Flynn be a no-brainer given he was here for a decade?

Someone enlighten me? (no sarcasm or mean spirited-ness in this...I am genuinely asking...maybe I just don't remember Landry as fondly as some of you).
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Woodson is the clear 3rd choice, imo. I dont care that he played for the steelers, I care what he did for the Ravens and that was being a part of the best defense in history and our first SB win.

Id even consider him ahead of Landry.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    What's next? Greatest MLB in team history? Hmmmm..... that one is going to be a tough one.
    Guess you didn't read the article. He's asking for fans to pick 3.

Michael Huff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Guess you didn't read the article. He's asking for fans to pick 3.
    It was a joke, switch to decaf Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    It was a joke, switch to decaf Houston.
    Wasn't upset. Just pointing it out is all. No worries, mate.

I'll share my decaf with you though.

I like Laron Landry, but Woodson over him is a no-brainer. Yes, Woodson had more and better years as a Steeler; he was still key for us. Three Pro Bowl seasons at safety for us, the only Pro Bowl member of the secondary in 2000.

Bernard Pollard made huge contributions to our SB run in '12. He should be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Demps I think got a worse rap than he deserved. Early on, he was a very impressive UDFA forced into a starting role early. Towards the end, he struggled a lot, but he contributed a lot. Certainly would rank him ahead of Eric Turner or Stevon Moore.
    Probably so - I'm still pissed at him for that completely unnecessary hold on what would have been a 105+ INT return for a TD by Reed against the Jets back in, I believe, 04 or 05.

I remember Lamont Jordan tossing a halfback pass to the back of the end zone and Reed nabbing it, weaving through traffic and bolting down the sideline. Demps was leading the way and just threw out his hands on the last lone Jets defender (who Reed would have easily made miss).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I like Laron Landry, but Woodson over him is a no-brainer. Yes, Woodson had more and better years as a Steeler; he was still key for us. Three Pro Bowl seasons at safety for us, the only Pro Bowl member of the secondary in 2000.

Bernard Pollard made huge contributions to our SB run in '12. He should be on the list.
    Laron Landry is cool...but he never played for the Ravens

“When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Wrong Landry, LOL! Seriously, I do believe that Dawan paired up with Ed made a formidable tandem. And I agree about Pollard. He isn't in my top 3, but no one can deny his contributions during his short tenure here.

Yeah, this is not even a question. Dawan Landry was a good, steady player who benefited enormously from having Ed Reed next to him. But he never played anywhere close to the level Rod did. I'm OK with him as the #3 guy, but the starters are clearly Ed Reed and Rod Woodson.

In fact, those two together would be in the conversation for best safety pairing of all time IMO. Despite the fact that he was a first-ballot HOFer, I think Rod Woodson is actually underrated. If he would have switched to safety earlier in his career he'd be considered as good or better than Ronnie Lott at the position. That's on top of also being a top-5 all-time cornerback, of course.

It's really hard to put together a Ravens' All-Time team (not that this isn't a fun exercise during the off season). We have only addressed two positions and already have two players (Birk and Woodson) who achieved the majority of their accomplishments with other teams.

Now a Baltimore All-Time team is what I'm talking about! But I digress...