Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens All-Time Team: Safety

The contributors to the Ravens success have been many and to acknowledge them we want your help in assembling the greatest Ravens team of all-time. We’ll target a 53-man squad and an 8-man practice squad and ask you to vote by position. The configuration of this fictitious roster will mirror a typical John Harbaugh squad.
    So far we’ve tackled the position of center and as of now Matt Birk is the runaway leader.

Today we’ll touch down on the position of safety and the nominees are:

• Will Demps
    • Kim Herring
    • Dawan Landry
    • Stevon Moore
    • Ed Reed
    • Eric Turner
    • Rod Woodson

We need 3 for our 53-man roster.

Please vote HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens All-Time Team: Safety

Like I said on the main page with the main article...

Ed Reed and Dawan Landry are clear.

After that, for me at least, I'm a bit unsure. Both Herring and Woodson were here during the SB year, but I leaned towards Herring. Having nothing to do with Woodson being the better player (no doubt about that...he's HOF), but Woodson went into the HOF as a Steeler and I've heard him say that even though he played for other teams, he always considered himself a Steeler.

I just don't know that mindset could be part of the Ravens "All-Time".
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Ok, let's get Reed and Landry out of the way. Those two are the obvious choices.

Third, I'd have to go with Woodson. Yes, Mr. Steeler and all...but if you compare Herring and Woodson, Woodson by far had the bigger impact. More tackles, more INTs, more TDs, more Fumbles Recovered...Only thing he didn't lead in was sacks.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Like I said on the main page with the main article...

Ed Reed and Dawan Landry are clear.

After that, for me at least, I'm a bit unsure. Both Herring and Woodson were here during the SB year, but I leaned towards Herring. Having nothing to do with Woodson being the better player (no doubt about that...he's HOF), but Woodson went into the HOF as a Steeler and I've heard him say that even though he played for other teams, he always considered himself a Steeler.

I just don't know that mindset could be part of the Ravens "All-Time".
    Players don't go into the hall under any one team. Their busts have no team markings and their plaques list all the teams for which they played.

Also, during Woodson's enshrinement speech, he spoke fondly of his time with the Ravens, even going so far as saying Art needs to enshrined.

Reed, Landry & Woodson.

No brainer.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Nuff said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Nuff said.
    It's ponderous that Reed doesn't have 100% of the vote right now...Even if someone mis-reads it as only votes for one, how you vote for someone OTHER than Reed #1????
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It's ponderous that Reed doesn't have 100% of the vote right now...Even if someone mis-reads it as only votes for one, how you vote for someone OTHER than Reed #1????

Can't believe Demps was even a choice. His nickname was Toast. Woodson was great in his prime, and did well here, but he was only here for 4 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post

Can't believe Demps was even a choice. His nickname was Toast. Woodson was great in his prime, and did well here, but he was only here for 4 years.
    Demps I think got a worse rap than he deserved. Early on, he was a very impressive UDFA forced into a starting role early. Towards the end, he struggled a lot, but he contributed a lot. Certainly would rank him ahead of Eric Turner or Stevon Moore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Stupid is as stupid does.

Reed
    Landry
    Woodson
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

What's next? Greatest MLB in team history? Hmmmm..... that one is going to be a tough one.

I didn't vote for him, but Turner was probably the best player on the inaugural Ravens team. I still have his jersey.
    "Chin up, chest out."