Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: QB Coach comments on the value of player organized workouts

Nice to see, but I didn't get all that much from it. It could've been beneficial, sure, but I wouldn't say that because he didn't have it, he's screwed up the season. It just puts more of an onus on him to get all those nuances in OTAs, minicamps, and TC. I'd say having the entire offense come to all the voluntary OTAs certainly helped him in that sense.

Basically, if it works, he'll be excused from scrutiny for this year. If he comes out and struggles again, it'll heat up the talk ALL over again.

To the point: It's on YOU, Joe. It's in YOUR hands.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Person: "Did you read what they wrote about you in RSR?"
    Flacco: *chewing* "Want a McNugget?"

If I recall wasn't there another article where Joe laid out some reasons for not being able to get with the receivers? Smith Sr. was added late and still in process of setting up in Balt, couple others were finishing up their degrees. And from some other articles, it sounds like he showed up with a pretty thorough understanding of the new playbook and was able to direct the receivers on what they should do. So sounds like he wasn't sitting around doing nothing in those 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    If I recall wasn't there another article where Joe laid out some reasons for not being able to get with the receivers? Smith Sr. was added late and still in process of setting up in Balt, couple others were finishing up their degrees. And from some other articles, it sounds like he showed up with a pretty thorough understanding of the new playbook and was able to direct the receivers on what they should do. So sounds like he wasn't sitting around doing nothing in those 2 months.
    Excuses....Excuses...Excuses

Joe should have organized a pitch and catch session and then blown off all of the OTA's along with Suggs and Ngata.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Person: "Did you read what they wrote about you in RSR?"
    Flacco: *chewing* "Want a McNugget?"
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Tony - I have to say that I am really glad you went out and chatted it up with a QB coach and got a much different perspective than what a lot of us might be able to get.
    It's a nice try, and I also applaud Tony making it.

It does NOT address the criticisms that Vinnie et al have been lobbing at Joe. It does not address them at all. Here's the exact quote: (I've bolded a few things)

CJ: Offseason workouts do have value for quarterbacks and receivers. While having a playbook and a feel for the team’s new offensive system can be helpful for the players involved, I think the overwhelming majority of system teaching and learning takes place in an official team setting where coaches and players work together in groups and full units to implement and refine coaching points.
    Offseason passing sessions are useful for players to get to know the nuances of each other’s habits (a WR’s acceleration on an out-cut, a QB’s rhythm in hitching up to throw a pass, etc.), as well as to experience some interaction with teammates.
    I don't know if you all have noticed, but it's the offseason right now. Joe just completed 13(?) offseason passing sessions with his receivers and other teammates, in an official team setting. Joe's been doing exactly what this guy was talking about. The offeason runs from about mid January to late July. It's not just March and April. Joe didn't "miss" the offeason; he was there.

Vinny's criticisms focus on the time before OTA's started, the period while Kubiak was writing the playbook and Jacoby Jones was still a free agent and Steve Smith was about to get traded and Owen Daniels hadn't signed yet. Johnston did have one comment about that period:

I think there is something to be said for the unspoken value of a player who is willing to take unpaid time to get together with teammates to work toward improvement.
    Which I think we would all agree with. There is something to be said for that. Didn't Joe do stuff like that during the lockout, a couple years ago? I'm fuzzy on that, but I bet the group on this board remembers.

I tell you something else I think we would all agree with: I hope Joe throws for 4300 yds and 35 TDs this year, with a passer rating of 97 or so, and that fucker Vinny has to eat it. That's what I hope. :)

PS – I used the phrase "this guy" above, which can read dismissive, but I really enjoyed reading Chris Johnston's input. Seems a knowledgeable and experienced guy; his remarks were thougthful and measured. It would be nice to hear more from him during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    In before it becomes a Flacco pity party :)
    If I hadn't been busy at work all day, you never would have made it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Didn't Joe do stuff like that during the lockout, a couple years ago? I'm fuzzy on that, but I bet the group on this board remembers.
    He did organize some at Towson.....and then the lockout ended and the Ravens cut Mason, Heap, McGahee and Kelly Gregg. While Gregg obviously didn't make a difference, Mason was at least there.