Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Butler

Jeremy Butler

He's apparently been very impressive in OTA's and Minicamp so far.

While many receivers -- including Brown -- had troubles with dropped passes during the Ravens OTA workouts over the past month, Butler consistently made plays. He made athletic catches over the middle, in traffic, and down the sideline. While third-string quarterback Keith Wenning and other rookies worked on a far field in 11-on-11 drills, Butler remained with the No. 1 and No. 2 offense.
    Amazing that Ozzie could potentially have more success with two UDFA WRs than he's had with most of the picks he's used on WRs.

Blog Entries

Re: Jeremy Butler

The word of caution on this is Deonte Thompson. He was similarly raved about in OTAs and minicamp his first year. It's good to see Butler impressing, but like Marlon did last year, he needs to follow it up with strong work in camp and throughout. As a UDFA, you are going to have to work 10 times as hard to impress as the drafted guys.

Speaking of, Marlon wasn't very impressive in minicamp apparently. Several drops. Hope he rebounds well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Obviously a couple grains of salt should be taken with this but hell even Deonte as an UDFA has done more in his career (15 catches, 147 yards) than

Marcus Smith (4th Round)
    Tommy Streeter (7th)
    Yamon Figurs (3rd Round; less receiving yards than Deonte)
    David Reed (6th; also has less receiving yards than Deonte)

It's just interesting too see that the team has gotten comparable contributions from their drafted and undrafted WRs.

It does make ya think Justlove.

But along the same lines of Scallywag...With The Iceman's lack of speed, success in August is critical.

First, he'll have to catch everything in sight; but he'll also have to demonstrate the ability to separate physically and technically (his acceleration and agility numbers aren't encouraging though). However, with a 36" vj, he should be able to get up and get it. I do need to add that on film vs. small school defenders his agility looks pretty damn good. Could be that he just didn't test/train well.

So if "all" that he becomes this summer is a bigger, taller LQW (i.e., not a burner, but solid hands) with some radius and some savvy releases, will that be enough to earn the 6th spot (Smith, SmithSr, Marlon, JJ12, Camp)? The other UDFAs may have something to say about that, but if not, maybe ye ol' IR has a spot for him.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 06-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Obviously a couple grains of salt should be taken with this but hell even Deonte as an UDFA has done more in his career (15 catches, 147 yards) than

Marcus Smith (4th Round)
    Tommy Streeter (7th)

It's just interesting too see that the team has gotten comparable contributions from their drafted and undrafted WRs.
    Damn. That's crazy. I had no idea.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

And we can add in recent past hype 7th round Justin Harper 2008 and CFL
    Matt Willis 2007 UDFA spent time with Denver and Lions periphery
    Eron Riley 2009 and time with Panthers/Denver/Jets periphery and CFL
    Anthony Rodelin 2010 6'5" 230 UNLV but we didn't hype him except for his potential height
    LaQuan surprised us in 2011 by making it on ST, but I don't remember hyping him more than being Local talent

But hey it is fan fun :)
    I tell you though, I need some football info to file in my brain about Jeremy Butler or I will continue to to have a song by Jerry Butler keep popping up in my brain until Jeremy does something

Jerry sang this the year Unitas we stand shocked the world in 1958
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

^^^^^

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    hell even Deonte as an UDFA has done more in his career (15 catches, 147 yards) than:

Marcus Smith (4th Round)
    Tommy Streeter (7th)
    Don't dis my boy Marcus Smith. He made some plays for us his rookie year. Drew that pass interference penalty in the end zone, that led to a touchdown; also made a sick grab on a deflected pass, but play called back by Michael Oher holding. When Joe tried to force that ball to Derrick Mason in the AFCC, that Polamalu returned for a pick 6, Smith was wide open behind the D on that play and would have scored. Smith was also one of our best spec teamers that year – I think he was the gunner on punt coverage.

Just when it looked like Smith was in line to get an expanded role the next season, he blew his knee covering a punt in a preseason game vs the Redskins! Smith came back the following year, but was caught in the numbers game behind the all-over-30 WR corps of Mason-Boldin-Housh, and couldn't get playing time. His career was over the next season.

I'm just saying: Marcus Smith's zero-catch stat line does not tell the whole story, not even close. This was a good player who worked hard and contributed for us. He does not deserve to be remembered as a punchline.

Deonte would have been better last year if not for the foot injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Speaking of, Marlon wasn't very impressive in minicamp apparently. Several drops. Hope he rebounds well.
    This was my main concern during OTA's.

The fact that he's working with the ones at this point is very substantial IMHO.

No, I'm not predicting that he is this stud or anything, but it's very noteworthy. Similar things about Marlon from last year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'd love to see Butler and Hurst make the squad. Two UDFAs on offense would be surprising, but awesome... Bc

I am going to focus on how he performs on Special Teams. If he wants to make it with the competition, he has to step it up in that area.
    Captain Offense