Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4041424344 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Washington loses it trademark for team name.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    LOL ...

I have him on ignore. He seems to have taken up the cause to tug on my nuts whenever possible.

He's still butthurt from my Mod days.

Of course I'm not the one that has an argument with at least two other posters in 50% of the threads on this board, but whatev...

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm sure a smart, rhetoric-savvy individual like yourself is well aware that most of the time, a slippery slope is a logical fallacy, not a legitimate argument.

"If we allow A to happen, then next thing you know, Z will be happening." "If Washington has to change their name, next thing you know, every team will have to change their name because there's somebody out there who could get offended by ANY name!" "If we let gay people get married, next thing you know, people will be marrying dogs and cars!"

Well, no. That actually isn't how the world works at all. We should evaluate the situation with Washington on its own merits, not by shifting the attention to ridiculous hypotheticals that are in no way logically related. The same is true for any issue, which can fallaciously be constructed as a slippery slope. Slippery slope is only a valid rhetorical device when there is a clear relationship between each step in the chain and a reasonable person could infer that taking one action logically leads to another. That isn't the case here.
    So let me get this right. The slippery slope argument was invalid because of hypotheticals that were not logically related. Yet that argument, ie Chiefs and Indians could have to change their because some are offended, has just proceeded down step one. People are proclaiming they are offended and are demanding a name change. How are they not logically related?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So let me get this right. The slippery slope argument was invalid because of hypotheticals that were not logically related. Yet that argument, ie Chiefs and Indians could have to change their because some are offended, has just proceeded down step one. People are proclaiming they are offended and are demanding a name change. How are they not logically related?
    I think you can lump everything Native American into one category.

Blog Entries

Score one for the indians in their biggest W since the Little Bighorn.

Washington owed the Oneida's something after they saved the Continental Army at Valley Forge when they were starving to death after their own colonists wouldn't feed them.

The Oneida's brought corn into the valley and fed them and showed them how to preserve it during the winter. It saved their lives and we might not be here as a nation quibbling over a name.

The Oneida's brought this case before the US Patent Office.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just giving a little historical perspective on how the tribe was once important to the US OF A.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-30-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Seems no one complained to the patent office before its ruling. Interesting...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nt-off/?page=2
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Seems no one complained to the patent office before its ruling. Interesting...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nt-off/?page=2
    If a complaint would become public record, few would have the balls to do so.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Score one for the indians in their biggest W since the Little Bighorn.
    Not to be politically incorrect, but that was damn funny ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The response is the same link. But in the comments section I did find this:
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/eve...t-d21beb55d782

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I'm full on board with the Redskins name needing to change. Redskins is absolutely a derogatory term towards Native Americans. There is simply no arguing that. None of the names used by the military are derogatory.

Of course there will be a few idiots that take this too far. That doesn't make the current issue at hand any less legitimate though.