Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Washington loses it trademark for team name.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Poor argument. Brown v Board of Education was filed by 13 plaintiffs, not the entire NAACP. Does that mean only 13 people that segregation was racist and unfair?
    Horrible analogy

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Go find me members of the black community that find the N word ok. Or find me leaders of the black community who are ok being called colored.
    For part one, how many rap albums would you like me to cite? For part two, how about every single member of the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Okay, now for a little levity. I have a solution. Rename the team, the Washington Ravens South. And under an exception rule, Ozzie Newsome will be allowed to run both teams.

adult photo sharing

Horrible analogy
    Why? Or are you just leaving it at that?

JustaslowZ06 was stating that since the trademark case was filed by only five people, it was not representative a significant concern. I'm pointing out that most legal cases are brought by a few people, and it doesn't speak one whit to the significance of the concern.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Washington loses it trademark for team name.

For part one, how many rap albums would you like me to cite? For part two, how about every single member of the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People?
    So the same word has a different, less offensive meaning? Go figure!

You know exactly which versions of the words that's at issue here. And it's context of use.

Blog Entries

lol
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

So the same word has a different, less offensive meaning? Go figure!

You know exactly which version of the word that's at issue here.
    You're not getting this.

You don't get the privilege of saying "Hey, you, colored guy. Oh no, it's okay. I don't mean it in the offensive way. I mean it in the NAACP way." "Hey, my n****. What are you so upset about? I mean it in the Public Enemy way."

But that's what you want to do with redskin. You want to say, "Hey, Mr. Native American, you don't have the right to be upset. I was using it in the way 19th century native americans used it in a non-offensive way to refer to themselves."

The "version of the word", as you call it, is not determined by the intent of the speaker.
    "Chin up, chest out."

To a very small minority of people who have misinterpreted the history and lineage of the word. Numerous tribes are totally fine with it.

Even the Smithsonian has weighed in in this, saying it's not a derogatory term.
    Exactly. Redskins was not a derogatory term until a few people suddenly decided to view it as such, then it got listed in some dictionaries as such, with the hope that the mainstream would view it that way.

Slippery slope to say the least...what happens next, white dudes decide that being called "cowboy" is offensive, and Dallas has to change their name too?

Change their logo to a potato. Problem solved ...

Question for those who are in favor of changing the name; Should we change the name of Oklahoma as well?
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

You're not getting this.

You don't get the privilege of saying "Hey, you, colored guy. Oh no, it's okay. I don't mean it in the offensive way. I mean it in the NAACP way." "Hey, my n****. What are you so upset about? I mean it in the Public Enemy way."

But that's what you want to do with redskin. You want to say, "Hey, Mr. Native American, you don't have the right to be upset. I was using it in the way 19th century native americans used it in a non-offensive way to refer to themselves."

The "version of the word", as you call it, is not determined by the intent of the speaker.
    It's also not determined by a minority of the effected people, who are twisting the history and meaning of the word to fit a political agenda.

Blog Entries

Poor argument. Brown v Board of Education was filed by 13 plaintiffs, not the entire NAACP. Does that mean only 13 people that segregation was racist and unfair?
    It was brought on BY the NAACP, across 5 states which they consolidated into one case at the Surpeme Court. Unless I remember wrong anyway. They represented the NAACP, along with a couple other groups. This is COMPLETELY different.