Page 1 of 45 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Washington loses it trademark for team name.

Interesting. I think it is a valid argument, otherwise there wouldn't be such hubub.

STORY

Re: Washington loses it trademark for team name.

I wonder what the legal implications of that are. If that impacts NFL licensing, which is a HUGE revenue stream, that could get this thing moving in a big hurry.
    "Chin up, chest out."

More politically correct nonsense.

Blog Entries

St. John's "Redmen" changed their name to "Red Storm" some years ago. I'm not politically correct, but I think it's time for a name change in D. C. A new logo might spark more sales of NFL stuff anyway... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This.

Blog Entries

The name is offensive, there's no other way to put it. I don't even feel comfortable saying it anymore. I just say Washington.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    St. John's "Redmen" changed their name to "Red Storm" some years ago. I'm not politically correct, but I think it's time for a name change in D. C. A new logo might spark more sales of NFL stuff anyway... Bc
    So if the appeal is denied, does that mean anyone could legally sell burgandy and gold merchandise that read Washington Redskins? Does this apply to just the name or also to any logos?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The name is offensive, there's no other way to put it. I don't even feel comfortable saying it anymore. I just say Washington.
    This. Anyone who says it's not just loses any credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I beg to differ. The American Indians are a very, very small minority of the country, have little voice, and most of their world was taken away or destroyed. If they have banded together to fight that name, then it is valid. If they were 10% of the population, it would be changed. "Blackskins" would never fly in this country. Just because an established institution of a sport with a long history has used the name doesn't make it right.

No one protests the other 31 team names. Want to say PC, then I agree the renaming of the Bullets to the Wizard in the NBA was PC. I don't agree the Redskins fit that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I wonder what the legal implications of that are. If that impacts NFL licensing, which is a HUGE revenue stream, that could get this thing moving in a big hurry.
    Daniel Snyder: "I will never change the team name. Unless, of course, we will lose money if I don't. Then I'll change it faster than you can say 'Hypocritical douchenozzle'".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    At this point I'd put the over/under on the league forcing a new nickname at two years, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    So if the appeal is denied, does that mean anyone could legally sell burgandy and gold merchandise that read Washington Redskins? Does this apply to just the name or also to any logos?
    This ruling only applies to the name.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell