Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Around The League: Minicamp News From Other Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Driving Without Intelligence? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Cowboys eat the money and release Kyle Orton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...se-kyle-orton/
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Cowboys eat the money and release Kyle Orton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...se-kyle-orton/
    They better pray that Romo's back holds, because if Weeden has to play in Dallas...Oh boy.

Blog Entries

Orton thought he had them by the balls. Jones essentially flipped him off and flipped the switch.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Orton thought he had them by the balls. Jones essentially flipped him off and flipped the switch.
    ???? Orton won. He never retired and was instead released. That means the Cowboys can't go after that $5 signing bonus they gave him. If Orton was the one to blink he would have had to pay a good chunk of that money back to the Cowboys. It's Jerry who got screwed by this. He's now paying millions for a guy to not play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    ???? Orton won. He never retired and was instead released. That means the Cowboys can't go after that $5 signing bonus they gave him. If Orton was the one to blink he would have had to pay a good chunk of that money back to the Cowboys. It's Jerry who got screwed by this. He's now paying millions for a guy to not play for him.
    And I have to wonder why the Cowboys had no leverage. Orton was not showing up for mandatory team functions.

So....I sign a contract to work for you, then I don't show up for work, then you fire me, and you pay me anyway? Damn, I need to become an NFL player.

EDIT: I just noticed Pat Kirwan says we should go after Orton if he decides to un-retire. I'm sure that's based on nothing, but he would definite fit the bill as a veteran backup for Joe.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 07-16-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I still don't think I understand the whole story here. Why would they release him and eat the money and have no backup plan except for Weeden? Orton said he wanted to retire; at minimum they could've worked out a compromise. seems like some detail is missing...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    And I have to wonder why the Cowboys had no leverage. Orton was not showing up for mandatory team functions.

So....I sign a contract to work for you, then I don't show up for work, then you fire me, and you pay me anyway? Damn, I need to become an NFL player.

EDIT: I just noticed Pat Kirwan says we should go after Orton if he decides to un-retire. I'm sure that's based on nothing, but he would definite fit the bill as a veteran backup for Joe.
    The Cowboys could have kept him on the team and fined him $30,000 a day for each day he didn't show up to work. That's in the CBA. I have no idea why they didn't just do that. Have him build up a $1+ million dollar debt in fines before final cutdown and then release him. At least that way they could force him into some sort of deal. Instead they gave Orton exactly what he wanted.

Hopefully there is something else going on because if there isn't the Cowboys are about as poorly run as the Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I still don't think I understand the whole story here. Why would they release him and eat the money and have no backup plan except for Weeden? Orton said he wanted to retire; at minimum they could've worked out a compromise. seems like some detail is missing...
    Jones and Al Davis, does anyone really understand them. Those guys have done things normal owners wouldn't. Bet Dallas fans can't wait for Jones daughter to run that organization by herself.

The Cowboys could have kept him on the team and fined him $30,000 a day for each day he didn't show up to work. That's in the CBA. I have no idea why they didn't just do that. Have him build up a $1+ million dollar debt in fines before final cutdown and then release him. At least that way they could force him into some sort of deal. Instead they gave Orton exactly what he wanted.

Hopefully there is something else going on because if there isn't the Cowboys are about as poorly run as the Raiders.
    The fines for the OTAs wouldn't add up to anything close to $1MM. They'd have to hang on to him all the way through training camp and preseason, using up a roster spot.

They did save $1MM in cap room I believe, but I can't imagine they'd be that desperate for that little cap room.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Jones and Al Davis, does anyone really understand them. Those guys have done things normal owners wouldn't. Bet Dallas fans can't wait for Jones daughter to run that organization by herself.
    Doesn't he have a son? I'm pretty sure that he's going to be the one taking the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The fines for the OTAs wouldn't add up to anything close to $1MM. They'd have to hang on to him all the way through training camp and preseason, using up a roster spot.

They did save $1MM in cap room I believe, but I can't imagine they'd be that desperate for that little cap room.
    They get pretty big rosters until the final camp cutdown. Lots of teams hold on to injured players all camp without putting them on IR. Until they absolutely needed that roster spot I would have kept Orton and fined the hell out of him. That's what the 49ers are doing with their holdouts. They're holding those roster spots because they know that Boone and Davis will be back. Same with Johnson for the Texans. There is no way the Cowboys need either the roster spot or cap space at this point.