Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Around The League: Minicamp News From Other Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I guess they wanted to get punched in the gut from Week 1 instead of Week 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Mike Pouncey just underwent surgery and is expected to be out a few months. Apparently the next C on Miami's depth chart is a UDFA.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...es-hip-surgery

Is there any chance Miami would want to trade for one of our Cs? After acquiring Zuttah and drafting Urschel, we have two spare Cs -- Gino and Shipley -- who have started multiple games in the NFL, albeit with mixed results.

The Dolphins could just sit tight until we release Gino or Shipley in the final round of cuts. But given all the turnover they've had on the offensive line, and given the importance of the C position for play-calling, I'm sure they'd prefer to identify Pouncey's replacement sooner rather than later.

We already have the Dolphins' 2015 7th-rounder from the McKinnie trade. Maybe we could add their 2016 7th-rounder in exchange for Gino or Shipley. Or maybe the Dolphins would give up a player that they're likely to cut but that the Ravens find intriguing.
    They actually have two UDFA centers on their current roster. Sam Longo (R, Cincinnati) is 6'5", 305 and had 47 reps at 225 lbs at his pro day, so strength isn't an issue. He played guard in college and transferred to Cincinnati from Ohio State, so it's not as if he wasn't considered unable to play major college football. Sam Brenner (2, Utah, 6'2", 310) was a practice squad player for them last year and was promoted to the active roster 2/3rds of the way through the season. If they trade for a center, it isn't going to be for a guy like they already have on their roster. (Gino or Shipley) It would be an upgrade, and the Ravens don't have an upgrade available to trade.

Blog Entries

Not sure if this has been discussed but the Falcons will be on Hard Knocks this year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...bo-hard-knocks

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    They actually have two UDFA centers on their current roster. Sam Longo (R, Cincinnati) is 6'5", 305 and had 47 reps at 225 lbs at his pro day, so strength isn't an issue. He played guard in college and transferred to Cincinnati from Ohio State, so it's not as if he wasn't considered unable to play major college football. Sam Brenner (2, Utah, 6'2", 310) was a practice squad player for them last year and was promoted to the active roster 2/3rds of the way through the season. If they trade for a center, it isn't going to be for a guy like they already have on their roster. (Gino or Shipley) It would be an upgrade, and the Ravens don't have an upgrade available to trade.
    You obviously know more than I do about the UDFA Centers on the Dolphins' roster, but I don't find your analysis convincing.

The idea of penciling in any UDFA as a Week 1 starter should scare any team. Add to that the fact that the position is Center and the player will be expected to read NFL defenses and call plays for the offensive line.

No matter what you think of Shipley and Gino, they are both healthy young players who have started numerous games at Center in the NFL. Shipley did a decent job at Center for the Colts (even if he was terrible at Guard for us last year); and while Gino did not perform well at Center last year, the consensus seemed to be that he got better as the season went on (evidence of the importance of experience at the position). The Dolphins may like the talent of their UDFA Centers, but what they need right now is a stop-gap to play Center until Pouncey returns. I have to think that Gino and Shipley would represent better options to fill that role than any UDFA. That said, I'm sure Miami is also considering bringing in an experienced FA to fill in until Pouncey returns.

Blog Entries

Went to a neighborhood brick oven pizza joint tonight and was having a beer when Eddie George came in with his kids and another guy. He had been at a Briarcrest event with his son (same school Oher went to).

Talked about the old AFCC and he called it 'a man's conference'. I went to a ton of games back then and it was pretty awesome talking about it. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, looks like he's in his 20's and couldn't have been more humble and gracious. Didn't seem to hold any ill feelings about the Ravens in fact it was all praise. Just wanted to share.....

Went to a neighborhood brick oven pizza joint tonight and was having a beer when Eddie George came in with his kids and another guy. He had been at a Briarcrest event with his son (same school Oher went to). Talked about the old AFCC and he called it 'a man's conference'. I went to a ton of games back then and it was pretty awesome talking about it. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, looks like he's in his 20's and couldn't have been more humble and gracious. Didn't seem to hold any ill feelings about the Ravens in fact it was all praise. Just wanted to share.....
    Nice. Always respected the hell out of that guy. Steel sharpens steel; he made us, and particularly Ray, better.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Nice. Always respected the hell out of that guy. Steel sharpens steel; he made us, and particularly Ray, better.
    Titan fans HATE Ray with a passion and will never forget him taking the ball from Eddie and scoring in that AFCC game which they knew they'd probably not see again for years. They'll never forget it, believe me. Eddie was pretty gracious about it, though.

Attachment 2214

Not quite mini-camp news, but news nonetheless.

It looks like Kiko Alonso tore his ACL working out in Oregon. Tough loss for the Bills, tough break for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...fered-torn-acl

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Not quite mini-camp news, but news nonetheless.

It looks like Kiko Alonso tore his ACL working out in Oregon. Tough loss for the Bills, tough break for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...fered-torn-acl
    That sucks, I had high hopes for the Bills. Not too high, just 8-8. This is a big blow for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    That sucks, I had high hopes for the Bills. Not too high, just 8-8. This is a big blow for them.
    Kind of a blow for the Ravens too. Don't the Browns have the Bills 1st pick in 2015? If so, it's going to be way up there... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Kind of a blow for the Ravens too. Don't the Browns have the Bills 1st pick in 2015? If so, it's going to be way up there... Bc
    Good point Bc.

I don't think losing a MLB will make or break their season like losing Spiller or EJ Manuel would, but that is going to sting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Went to a neighborhood brick oven pizza joint tonight and was having a beer when Eddie George came in with his kids and another guy. He had been at a Briarcrest event with his son (same school Oher went to).

Talked about the old AFCC and he called it 'a man's conference'. I went to a ton of games back then and it was pretty awesome talking about it. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, looks like he's in his 20's and couldn't have been more humble and gracious. Didn't seem to hold any ill feelings about the Ravens in fact it was all praise. Just wanted to share.....
    I'd have been curious to find out how he became a judge on an interior design reality show. Apparently he's now a landscape architect. That's an impressive range of skills.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell