Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Texans cut QB TJ Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Other than the last point being maybe a tad bit optimistic, I think you're making reasonable points. My comment about Flacco's suitability for the system versus Taylor was a minor throw-in comment that I wasn't really invested in. Minor observation.

The point I feel much more strongly about concerns Taylor, whom I think people have soured on prematurely based on an over-reaction to Harbaugh's very contrived public comments. I also feel strongly that people have an unrealistic expectation for what level of performance they should see in a #2 QB, or what level of upgrade is really available to them by developing a rookie or finding a castoff.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your backup to be able to properly manage a game. Garbage time against the Patriots was an absolute NIGHTMARE.

The point I feel much more strongly about concerns Taylor, whom I think people have soured on prematurely based on an over-reaction to Harbaugh's very contrived public comments. I also feel strongly that people have an unrealistic expectation for what level of performance they should see in a #2 QB, or what level of upgrade is really available to them by developing a rookie or finding a castoff.
    Why do you feel posters' opinions of Tyrod are solely based on Harbaugh's comments? Those comments, contrived or no, are more indicative of the Ravens views than those of any fan.

And although I concede believing that a No. 2 quarterback in the NFL should have a fairly high level of competency, I'm under no illusions that a castoff or low round draft choice will suddenly morph into the next Earl Morrall. What I do believe is that after three years' worth of exhibition games and an admittedly tiny amount of regular season work, Tyrod probably isn't the long-term answer as No. 2. I simply don't believe that he is - or ever will be - a very good passer. Hey, it's only an opinion. Maybe I'll be wrong, maybe he'll take to the Kubiak system like a duck to water and we'll see a whole new Tyrod. But I wouldn't place my bets on that. I think it's far more likely he is gone in 2015. His replacement won't necessarily be a whole lot better, but I think the Ravens will try for at least some improvement at the spot.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 06-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your backup to be able to properly manage a game. Garbage time against the Patriots was an absolute NIGHTMARE.
    No doubt. And that's why Harbaugh called him out and said he needs to play better in game situations. But as I said, it's still only 40 attempts in a career and I think people are far too impatient with making judgements on what he can or can't do. Maybe the judgements will prove correct. But there's no way you will convince me that one performance is indicative of his future ability without more evidence.

Look at Flacco. He was supposed to be a back-up as a rookie and was pressed into the starting role. But at least he got to practice with the starters all week and prepare to be a starter. Taylor got shoved into a game without a lot of mental preparation. Holding a clipboard and going to meetings and being the scout team qb isn't the same -- so I hear all the time from NFL players.

And yet, through the first five games of his career Flacco had thrown 1 TD, 7 INTs, and had a QB Rating of 30. Those are the kind of numbers that would have most fans here concluding he will never amount to anything as an NFL quarterback. Through five games he had nearly four times the number of attempts as Taylor has in his entire career, and yet he still looked like he wasn't really a guy who could be a great QB.

I'm not saying Taylor is great or even good. I'm just saying that people are basing their opinions on far too little information. I know the team isn't thrilled. But I don't think they are ready to give up on him entirely -- not like those here whose comments I'm reading. I think the team would prefer helping him succeed and not have to find an alternative. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Why do you feel posters' opinions of Tyrod are solely based on Harbaugh's comments? Those comments, contrived or no, are more indicative of the Ravens views than those of any fan..
    I think that people were pretty unimpressed with Taylor, and disappointed in one game's worth of work, but they hadn't really made up their minds until Harbaugh made his comment and the team drafted a QB and Kubiak was hired and speculation about Yates started. I just don't recall such negativity until people got a whiff that perhaps the team was done with him (which I don't think is the case). I also think the clock is running out and people know they aren't going to give him a lot of money to come back unless he shows he's earned it.

My take is he really didn't get a chance to show much, and people are therefore filling in the blanks based on very little real evaluation, and a lot of side chatter.

Are we not all watching the same Tyrod Taylor? He hasn't had a ton of regular-season snaps, but when he's been out there, he can't throw the football at an NFL level. The same has been true in the preseason.

His arm strength is solid, and he has a quick release, but that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen him throw a pass that could be described as having touch. He can run around and make something happen in a sandlot situation but he's not a QB and the Ravens know that now. Maybe he could catch on somewhere as an Antwaan Randle El or Brad Smith type.

My take is he really didn't get a chance to show much, and people are therefore filling in the blanks based on very little real evaluation, and a lot of side chatter.
    Well, the Ravens coaching staff will get one more year, or one more summer at the very least, to continue their own evaluation of Tyrod. Time will tell, as it always does. If they don't think enough of him to offer him a vet minimum contract in 2015 after what will be - by then - four years, I think the side chatterers will have called it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Are we not all watching the same Tyrod Taylor? He hasn't had a ton of regular-season snaps, but when he's been out there, he can't throw the football at an NFL level. The same has been true in the preseason.

His arm strength is solid, and he has a quick release, but that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen him throw a pass that could be described as having touch. He can run around and make something happen in a sandlot situation but he's not a QB and the Ravens know that now. Maybe he could catch on somewhere as an Antwaan Randle El or Brad Smith type.
    Completely agree.

It is either a bullet or completely off target.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.