Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

One and Done for Kubiak?

I've seen this idea widely circulated in posts, and Tony has a piece on it today as well:

http://russellstreetreport.com/it-co...-in-baltimore/

The idea is that Kubiak has such a great resume as a coordinator, and was successful enough as a HC, that one year off will bring teams knocking on his door to be a head man again. Teams won't hold 2-14 against him, because Schaub fell of a cliff and there were injuries – extenuating circumstances.

Do you guys agree with that? Will Kubiak be a hot head coaching commodity next year? I'm not sure I see it that way.

First of all, Kubiak's record as a HC is pretty good, but it's not compellingly good – it's not so good that it screams awesomeness. Out of 8 seasons in Houston, only 3 seasons above .500, and the last season pushed his overall record back below .500. This would look different if it weren't for the QB injuries in 2011, and late seasons let-down in 2012. I thought they had built the best team in the AFC in 2011, but TJ Yates wasn't able to land the plane for them. If Schaub had been able to finish out that season, maybe Kubiak's record would include a conference championship appearance. But that's not what we have. I think many teams will deem him unexciting.

Second of all, the way for coordinators to get head jobs is if their unit is awesome. I see great strides for the Ravens offense this year; but we were so shitty last year, it would take great strides just to get us up to "average". I don't see us being really good on offense, like top 10, until the season after. And that's fine: it's a process.

I see Kubiak with us for two or even three seasons. Which is great. It lets the organization soak in the offense, all the way down to its bones. Flacco and the O-line and receivers will be experts; the coaching staff will be experts. It'll be the way the team does business.

Anyone else think the same?

Re: One and Done for Kubiak?

I don't think it's going to take great strides to get us to "average" on offense. Rather, some disciplined tweaking (and, of course, staying healthy) with the talent we have and we're every bit a top 10 offense.

I doubt he will be one and done. But to your point, if your team loses coordinators every 2-3 years, your organization is doing something right. If Kubes move on after 2-3 successful seasons, so be it.

The price of success. It's a good problem to have.

If Kubiak was 1 and done here I could see the Ravens promoting from within but keeping Kubiak's playbook.

Blog Entries

For those who doubt he might be gone next year...Just remember Caldwell had 1 and change as our OC before getting tabbed by the Lions. And he was coming off an abysmal season as HC as well. So it's WELL within the possibilities if we show marked improvement.

The key is going to be Kubiak's wishes. He may not want to hit the HC track after 1 year, may want to take another season to get his sea legs back before throwing himself in such a high stress job again.

If he goes, there's a chance we push hard for Dennison to stay, but my guess is he's gone. We can block an interview, but can't block the hiring I think (could be wrong there). Pariani makes a lot of sense, I still think Castillo does too (if the notion that last year's OL struggles were not all Castillo's fault). It'll be interesting, and somewhat gut wrenching, to watch
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Funny how the coaching pendulum swings. At one point, the hot hires were no-name young guys. (Tomlin, Harbaugh.) At other points, it's been hot college coaches. (Spurrier, Saban.) Other times, it's retreads with proven success and maybe some Lombardi trophies (Vermeil, Parcells.) I don't know whether the facts actually bear it out, but my impression has always been that these things go in cycles.

Right now we seem to be in a "coordinator who has paid his dues" phase. Guys like Gruden, Pettine, and Pagano. Maybe Kubes, like Jim Caldwell, fits that mold enough to merit another job if he finds someone looking.

But don't underestimate this x-factor: the Ravens are an excellent organization with established talent and are annually competitive. Teams looking for new coaches are often teams in crisis, clusterf**k franchises, like Oakland and Cleveland. Many people -- possibly including Kubes -- would rather be a coordinator here than a HC there.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    For those who doubt he might be gone next year...Just remember Caldwell had 1 and change as our OC before getting tabbed by the Lions. And he was coming off an abysmal season as HC as well. So it's WELL within the possibilities if we show marked improvement.
    Caldwell didn't have a mini-stroke. That might make Kubiak think twice about another HC job, and it might make some teams cross him off their list.
    Last edited by moose10101; 06-12-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Caldwell didn't have a mini-stroke. That might make Kubiak think twice about another HC job, and it might make some times cross him off their list.
    This.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    If Kubiak was 1 and done here I could see the Ravens promoting from within but keeping Kubiak's playbook.
    I believe that is why they hired Denison as well.

Insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Regarding the OP's post...

I think Kubiak will be here for two years. For starters, a lot of teams (oddly enough) seem rather secure in their current HC fills. The only teams that I think could be looking again in a year are the Jets, Dolphins, and maybe Carolina.

Unless someone like Coughlin or Belichick retires, I don't know if there is a situation that Kubiak would be interested in.

Also, when Harbaugh leaves to coach Michigan, Kubiak would be the obvious replacement. ;-)

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

In my opinion it's more likely that Kubiak is let go by the Ravens than leaves on his own. John Harbaugh is an established Super Bowl winning Head Coach. If he doesn't like what he sees from the offense 2 years from now he's going to make a change. Harbaugh's deal is through 2017. He won't go into 2016 with any coach that he isn't happy with.

Kubiak's record as the Texans Head Coach was completely mediocre. He's not young as has health issues. I don't see the teams looking to add someone like that. They either want the hot assistant, the young potential guy or the former Head Coach who got somewhere in the playoffs. Kubiak is none of those.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Caldwell didn't have a mini-stroke. That might make Kubiak think twice . . .
    He might also find out that he is really better as an OC than as a HC and simply stay put, knowing he's got a good thing going. Sometimes winning a Super Bowl as an OC can be more satisfying than losing in the 2nd round year after year as a HC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I believe that is why they hired Denison as well.

Insurance.

But here's the thing...if Kubiak gets hired, Dennison is clearly his guy (In that, he loves Dennison and wants him with him). If the Ravens offer a promotion to OC, but so does Kubiak, wouldn't Kubiak have stronger ties with Dennison? The only way I could see Dennison remaining here is if we can somehow block that move, which I don't think is possible because it'd be a promotion for Dennison. He wouldn't accept a quick promotion to OC here, because he would know Kubiak is bringing him along.

In theory, of course.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!