View Poll Results: Should the Ravens keep Flacco, draft a rookie, or sign a FA?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free Agent - someone that can be a placeholder/game manager (Alex Smith, for example).

1 4.76%
  • Draft a Rookie (perhaps someone who Gary Kubiak feels may be a better fit for the WCO?

6 28.57%
  • Re-do Flacco's contract and see how he does after 1 full season in the WCO?

14 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

An interesting scenario/question for 2015

Let's say the Ravens finish 8-8 or 9-7 and get bounced from the playoffs again. Flacco has a so-so year, but the coaching staff chalks it up to everyone learning a brand new offense.

Knowing the Ravens have a pricey decision to make with Flacco and his contract after this season, do you think it would be worth it for the Ravens to strongly consider drafting another QB or signing a free agent? If so, who?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: An interesting scenario/question for 2015

As a caveat, I don't believe this question is black and white at all. We've seen several teams keep QB's that maybe they weren't 100% sold on because sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't (e.g. Kaepernick, Cutler, and likely Dalton).

Blog Entries

The Giants have now had 3 declining years for Eli Manning and there is no question that they are keeping him. Let's assume Flacco goes down that same path and has a poor 2014. It will be just like the Giants and Eli.

As long as Ozzie is in charge and Steve owns the team and Flacco isn't permanently injured he's still going to be here for the next 5 years. In fact Joe Flacco will be on this team in the future a lot longer than Gary Kubiak will. If Flacco does poorly Kubiak will be the first one fired.

Blog Entries

For me, depending on where they'd be picking in round-1, I'd rather see them go after Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty and use the cap space to target Greg Hardy or someone like that.

None of the above. re-doing his deal would only make his deal LESS flexible going forward. It would NOT be wise to re-do a deal that you weren't certain you were going to keep for a few rounds.

Perhaps a LATE round pick or BS(journeyman) FA. But he would get AT LEAST another year at the helm without realistic competition because his contract says so.

I chose rookie for the poll, but was referring to a day 3 pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Giants have now had 3 declining years for Eli Manning and there is no question that they are keeping him. Let's assume Flacco goes down that same path and has a poor 2014. It will be just like the Giants and Eli.

As long as Ozzie is in charge and Steve owns the team and Flacco isn't permanently injured he's still going to be here for the next 5 years. In fact Joe Flacco will be on this team in the future a lot longer than Gary Kubiak will. If Flacco does poorly Kubiak will be the first one fired.
    You're probably right. OC's are a lot easier to replace than QB's.

If it's an 8-8 year with a ton of injuries, I'd say nothing substantial happens.

But an 8-8 with little injuries and crappy execution from Joe et al, I think Harbs will be on notice he heeds to fix it post haste.

I don't think though that is enough for them to draft a QB. Flacco goes as Harbs goes and vice verse.

Drafting a QB is likely out of the question. A repeat of 2013 won't get the Ravens in position to draft Mariota, Winston, or Hundley. As for FA the answer is a simple no. The Bengals and Chiefs are stuck with their respective QBs because frankly they'd be taking a risk trying to find a new guy and the know what happens if they miss. It's Joe or nobody.

FWIW, the Ravens really don't have an option to do anything with Flacco until 2016 because of the amount of dead money involved.

It's the spring of 2016, that they'll likely have a tough decision to make (extend or release) - especially if Flacco doesn't progress.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    FWIW, the Ravens really don't have an option to do anything with Flacco until 2016 because of the amount of dead money involved.

It's the spring of 2016, that they'll likely have a tough decision to make (extend or release) - especially if Flacco doesn't progress.
    :word

I thought the big cap issues started next year.

Blog Entries

Yeah it's 2016 his numbers get up there. And honestly don't see Kubiak still here. He'll get another HC gig. But saying all hypothetical that Kubes is still here and Joe stinks it up the next 2 years. He's gone. Period. Of course neither will happen so.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Yeah it's 2016 his numbers get up there. And honestly don't see Kubiak still here. He'll get another HC gig. But saying all hypothetical that Kubes is still here and Joe stinks it up the next 2 years. He's gone. Period. Of course neither will happen so.......
    Sur hope not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk