Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Is another US Civil War Possible?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts in here.

I had this discussion with a friend over the weekend and their stance is it would never happen.

Say a state like Texas or Kansas or something like that just straight up seceded from the union for any number of reasons...taxes...constitutional rights...whatever.

Personally, I'm not sure because I dont know how the current US military would factor in. It isn't like it was in the 1800's when you just had state militias and you didn't really have a major "National" military.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Is another US Civil War Possible?

The Civil War was over states rights, especially the southern states right over you know what. They tried to leave and lost and the states nevr questioned the federal gov't again but times are changing. With all the discontent and the way the race card is played, the way the constitution has been attacked and with all these para military groups, whose to say Texas or some other border state won't try to leave. In fact there have been mumblings about just that but it would be met with the same result.

The discontent is out there. That's for sure.

The way that I see it, with the technology and power at the government's disposal the ability to have a successful long term uprising ship has long sailed. Especially considering how inter connected the whole world is. Do you think that the powers that be would let America get overthrown by a few bombs and guns? Not to say that some violent people couldn't cause a lot of death and mayhem if they wanted to though. But it would certainly be an unwinnable battle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

First off, yankees, there's never been a Civil War in America. There was the War of Northern Aggression, when the evil racist Abraham Lincoln fought to strengthen his tyrannical grip over a peaceful people.

Secondly, there won't be another war like it. If states secede, which I really hope happens, then it will be fought in courtrooms and among political leaders of the world.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Nice satire.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    First off, yankees, there's never been a Civil War in America. There was the War of Northern Aggression, when the evil racist Abraham Lincoln fought to strengthen his tyrannical grip over a peaceful people.
    Notsureifserious

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Notsureifserious
    About which part? Never being a civil war, or Lincoln being a racist scumbag? Cause both are historical facts.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

About which part? Never being a civil war, or Lincoln being a racist scumbag? Cause both are historical facts.
    You answered my question. Thanks.

Blog Entries

:D

Interesting (albeit an unpopular) commentary.

One that I've heard discussed before.

I'd be interested in hearing more of your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Secondly, there won't be another war like it. If states secede, which I really hope happens, then it will be fought in courtrooms and among political leaders of the world.
    Probably not in a courtroom, because I think that America's immunity would protect it from losing in court, and I agree that it won't be by bloodshed. The only logical scenario that's left would be financial. I guess if the crap really hit the fan, America got to be really bankrupt, and there was a really state who really hated government, they could conceivably pool enough resources to outright buy its freedom from America (although this might be somewhat illogical, because in this desperate time, America would probably all of the rich people that it could get its hands on).

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    Probably not in a courtroom, because I think that America's immunity would protect it from losing in court, and I agree that it won't be by bloodshed.
    Immunity? The federal government is often sued over constitutional issues.

The fact is Lincoln was wrong, states have the right to secede. One, it is not prohibited by the Constitution and the 10th amendment makes it clear that rights not specifically granted to the federal government are reserved for the states or the people. Two, when states ratified the Constitution they were required to ratify it as proposed and with no qualifiers. Two states, NY and VA both ratified the Constitution with the proviso that they could secede if and when they wanted. The federal government accepted this ratification meaning that it was understood secession was constitutional. If not, those ratifications would not have been accepted.