Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT - New Carbon Fiber Shoulder Pads

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/carbon-...shoulder-pads/

The material is stronger than steel yet still incredibly light, a great combination for any activity where speed and range of motion are as important as protection.

Russell Athletic’s new carbon-fiber shoulder pads also happen to be the company’s first pair of shoulder pads, period. The exoskeleton of the CarbonTek pads is a shell of aeronautical-grade carbon fiber, but that component only represents half of the system. In fact, the system’s other important piece—a breathable, protective compression vest—was developed first.

That vest is packed with a network of golf-ball-sized, rubbery-foam bubbles, and it’s noticeably heavier than the carbon-fiber shell that slips over it. Combined with the carbon-fiber exoskeleton, the compression vest is designed to disperse impact throughout the torso, supposedly making big hits feel less sharp at the point of impact. It’s also designed to be used for base protection without the exoskeleton during non-contact drills.

Kind of neat technology. Pretty expensive, but I'm sure it won't be long before NFL players are wearing these.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: OT - New Carbon Fiber Shoulder Pads

High end mountain bike frames have been made of carbon fiber for a decade. If they can take the beating on the rocks they can do the same thing in this application. It's a great idea.

Hmm. I guess it's a good idea, to protect the player wearing it. Are you turning the players into steel weapons, though?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Hmm. I guess it's a good idea, to protect the player wearing it. Are you turning the players into steel weapons, though?
    I don't know that they'd be anymore dangerous than current shoulder pad technology.

The only difference is that these pads disperse the impact evenly over a larger surface area thereby reducing the overall force delivered to the impact point. Realistically, it won't stop injuries from happening, but it could potentially cut down on acute impact-related injuries like breaks, fractures, bruises/contusions, and so on.

The military and law enforcement have vests that use this technology as well, dragon skin kevlar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    High end mountain bike frames have been made of carbon fiber for a decade. If they can take the beating on the rocks they can do the same thing in this application. It's a great idea.
    :word

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Pretty much Bc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Not to mention race cars in Formula 1. Carbon Fiber is a great material.

Blog Entries

so it softens blows to the abdomen because of the rubber golf balls but i am interested in its effects on the shoulder to helmet hits. I believe theyd have to have some extensive testing before the NFL signed off on allowing them to be used. If its worse for concussions than whats currently used its not going anywhere.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so it softens blows to the abdomen because of the rubber golf balls but i am interested in its effects on the shoulder to helmet hits. I believe theyd have to have some extensive testing before the NFL signed off on allowing them to be used. If its worse for concussions than whats currently used its not going anywhere.
    What makes you think this technology would be "worse for concussions" than current pads? Carbon fiber is pretty damn resilient & if anything that should help reduce the sudden deceleration that bangs the brain up against the skull's internal irregularities.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    What makes you think this technology would be "worse for concussions" than current pads? Carbon fiber is pretty damn resilient & if anything that should help reduce the sudden deceleration that bangs the brain up against the skull's internal irregularities.
    Lighter equipment = faster players

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Lighter equipment = faster players
    Thats probably the first thing that comes to mind. which is obviously the goal of this and for all teams/players, but if its counter productive to injuries and lawsuits the NFL isnt going to be on board.

It looks as if the rubber balls go over the shoulders as well so maybe despite the fact that CF doesnt bend or stretch (which would be worse for a concussion) is negated by that design but thats why im saying there will have to be testing to support such before the NFL agrees. theory and reality very often are two different things.
    -JAB