Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jensen at RT?

Blog Entries

Re: Jensen at RT?

Going into camp they need to be open minded and consider all options at RT. I think it's very likely that we see an addition to compete for that job from the list that AirFlacco put up.

Blog Entries

And it will be one familiar with Kubes system. Look at all the guys he's brought in familiar with it: Smith, Daniels, even the rookie TE Gilmore knows it from watching it as a fan, and the new RB, Justin Forsett who said Ravens will be running the ball a lot.

So Eric Winston fits that bill playing in it for 6 years. Just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm hearing that the Ravens are going to sign Eric Winston after June 1st...
    Winston was pretty bad last year (and the last couple actually). KC made no efforts to re-sign him after 2012 and Arizona hasn't been interested in him at all this offseason.

We'll see, but despite the Kubiak connection, I don't see Winston being signed - that is, unless all of the present competitors totally flop.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Winston was pretty bad last year (and the last couple actually). KC made no efforts to re-sign him after 2012 and Arizona hasn't been interested in him at all this offseason.

We'll see, but despite the Kubiak connection, I don't see Winston being signed - that is, unless all of the present competitors totally flop.
    The good thing is that Winston is almost certainly going to be available. They do have time and can wait and see what happens with their other options. If no one rises up then you call up Winston. If 1 or 2 guys show something then you don't bring him in. It's not a bad position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The good thing is that Winston is almost certainly going to be available. They do have time and can wait and see what happens with their other options. If no one rises up then you call up Winston. If 1 or 2 guys show something then you don't bring him in. It's not a bad position to be in.
    Agreed.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

All the young RT candidates have to do is be as good as (hopefully better) than Oher. He didn't set the bar very high... Bc

It will be interesting to finally discover [or NOT] just what the Ravens see/saw in this small school, D-II International Man of Mystery. They certainly handled him "carefully" last year. He was evidently never in the pre-season competition for center and was not explored as an option when McKinnie returned to his old self, nor when KO went down. Injuries may have been part of it, but the guy was never active on a game day when he was on the roster. As an O-lineman, they had him below Shipley and Wagner on the Depth Charts. Not exactly ringing endorsements. But it felt like they were keeping a tarp (PS/IR) over this already somewhat puzzling draft choice, like they really had something in him. Inquiring minds are eager to see if there is anything there.;

It's looking like Winston will not be signed unless the 2 second year guys fall over themselves in OTA's and training camp.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    It will be interesting to finally discover [or NOT] just what the Ravens see/saw in this small school, D-II International Man of Mystery. They certainly handled him "carefully" last year. He was evidently never in the pre-season competition for center and was not explored as an option when McKinnie returned to his old self, nor when KO went down. Injuries may have been part of it, but the guy was never active on a game day when he was on the roster. As an O-lineman, they had him below Shipley and Wagner on the Depth Charts. Not exactly ringing endorsements. But it felt like they were keeping a tarp (PS/IR) over this already somewhat puzzling draft choice, like they really had something in him.
    I think you are mischaracterizing the situation a little. Injuries may have been a part of it? More like all of it. He broke his foot at the end of July and wasn't on the practice field until the middle of October, so I'm not sure how he would have been an option for McKinnie or KO. And of course he would be lower on the depth charts - he didn't practice nor was he able to get on the field for two and a half months. Being a rookie, missing that much time pretty much ends your season; by the time you work your way back into shape and get your game up to speed, the season is over. The fact that he was not put on the practice squad nor put on injured reserve tells you that the Ravens felt highly enough of him to want him to develop last year. He might not turn out to be anything, but there is a reason they kept him active all year.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think you are mischaracterizing the situation a little. Injuries may have been a part of it? More like all of it. He broke his foot at the end of July and wasn't on the practice field until the middle of October, so I'm not sure how he would have been an option for McKinnie or KO. And of course he would be lower on the depth charts - he didn't practice nor was he able to get on the field for two and a half months. Being a rookie, missing that much time pretty much ends your season; by the time you work your way back into shape and get your game up to speed, the season is over. The fact that he was not put on the practice squad nor put on injured reserve tells you that the Ravens felt highly enough of him to want him to develop last year. He might not turn out to be anything, but there is a reason they kept him active all year.
    If his foot was broken, why not put him on IR? That way he is stashed/protected from waivers, gets to heal the foot, and try again next year. Plus you can add a player to the roster that might even you know, PLAY or something. I'll accept the reasons you offer for why he didn't see the field. What I can't figure out is why in the face of the foot, missed time, rookie status, etc. the Ravens bothered to keep him on the 53 man roster. I'm not willing to accept it as a sign of the Ravens confidence in him. Hopefully he can meaningfully contribute. A small-time NCAA career and a lost rookie season lead me not to count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    If his foot was broken, why not put him on IR? That way he is stashed/protected from waivers, gets to heal the foot, and try again next year.
    I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment of what you're saying, but in order to have placed him on Injured Reserve, he would have to clear waivers.

We saw the Patriots claim Jake Ballard off waivers from the Giants after Ballard tore his ACL in the Super Bowl (then two months later had microfracture surgery on the same knee), fully knowing that Ballard was likely to miss the entire season (which he did).

Now...I'm obviously not saying that a 6th round rookie is on par with (what had been at the time) a reasonably productive pro...but you can't discount the possibility.

I've enjoyed reading the discussion and speculation on the reasons for Jensen's status on the team last season.