Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Sign Fitzgerald Toussaint

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ald-toussaint/

RB, Michigan, 5'10" 200lbs.

03/26/14 - 2014 Pro Days: Trio of Wolverines star at Michigan Pro Day...While Gallon's production steadily increased as the Wolverines shifted to a pass-friendly offense under head coach Brady Hoke, running back Fitzgerald Toussaint watched his yards-per-rush average drop each of the past four seasons. As such, it was critical to his draft stock that he impress during Wednesday's workout. Fortunately for Toussaint that is precisely what he did, matching Gallon's Combine with a 4.49-second 40-yard dash of his own, according to Michigan's official athletic website. Along with Touissant's surprising speed, he recorded solid times in the 3-cone drill (6.59) and short shuttle (4.10), posted a 35.5" vertical jump and lifted the bar 24 times in the bench press. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Sign Fitzgerald Toussaint

Positive: Three-year starter who made a comeback last season after suffering a gruesome leg injury in 2012. Posted 646 yards and 12 TDs as a senior while adding 17 receptions. Instinctive, efficient runner with marginal physical skills. Patiently waits for running lanes to develop, quickly gets through openings, and effectively follows blocks everywhere. Keeps his feet moving on contact, possesses the agility to get around tackle, and works runs. Runs north-south and falls forward when tackled.

Negative: Not a truly elusive runner who makes defenders miss. Possesses more of a short burst of speed and cannot beat defenders into the open field.

Analysis: Toussaint was productive and reliable for Michigan but has limited physical skills. His willingness to do the little things could help him catch on as a fourth running back.
    http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/...rald-Toussaint

Looks like the strategy is bring a ton of guys into camp and hope someone rises to the top and becomes the next Alfred Morris/Terrell Davis/Arian Foster success story.

How many running backs is that now? Forsett, Wood, Taliaferro, Rice, Pierce, Juice (FB), and now Touissant? Gonna be an interesting competition to watch.

Blog Entries
    Seriously though guys, don't count out Cierre Wood. He kind of reminds me of Demarco Murray.

The Ravens have seven backs on the roster. I find it incredibly unlikely that one of them can't be a competent RB to start Week 1, especially in a system that makes 1,000 yard rushers out of Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Reuben Droughns, Steve Slaton, and Arian Foster. You have to try to suck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    The Ravens have seven backs on the roster. I find it incredibly unlikely that one of them can't be a competent RB to start Week 1, especially in a system that makes 1,000 yard rushers out of Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Reuben Droughns, Steve Slaton, and Arian Foster. You have to try to suck.
    From what I've read/heard/understand, Kubiak's offensive design is extremely simple for running backs. Know where the blockers are going, find the seam, and cut up the field.

The offensive system is a lot more challenging for linemen.

The scouting report is intriguing because it highlights Toussaint's skill at waiting for a running lane to open up before hitting it.

I think that's very important in Kubiak's system. When we played the Texans last year -- before their complete meltdown -- it was amazing to see how patient their RBs were in the backfield while our RBs were always jumping into lanes that hadn't yet opened up. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that our offensive line wasn't opening up many lanes, but Ray Rice has never seemed very good at identifying rushing lanes, which is one reason he's so much more effective in the open field than in heavy traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    The scouting report is intriguing because it highlights Toussaint's skill at waiting for a running lane to open up before hitting it.

I think that's very important in Kubiak's system. When we played the Texans last year -- before their complete meltdown -- it was amazing to see how patient their RBs were in the backfield while our RBs were always jumping into lanes that hadn't yet opened up. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that our offensive line wasn't opening up many lanes, but Ray Rice has never seemed very good at identifying rushing lanes, which is one reason he's so much more effective in the open field than in heavy traffic.
    Last year was very different for Rice, because of the injury and the line play. In previous years, a lot was made of how he would wait behind those huge linemen, pretty much out of sight, then pop through a hole. He was also hard to take down because you didn't see him until he was going by. Last year drove me mad because he was constantly running to the line, then just diving to the ground between linemen. But I attribute that more to no hole to burst through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post

Last year was very different for Rice, because of the injury and the line play. In previous years, a lot was made of how he would wait behind those huge linemen, pretty much out of sight, then pop through a hole. He was also hard to take down because you didn't see him until he was going by. Last year drove me mad because he was constantly running to the line, then just diving to the ground between linemen. But I attribute that more to no hole to burst through.
    Good point.

Last years line was so pathetic. You had a 6'1 left guard with T Rex arms.

Side note.

If I were Rice, I'd be motivated like hell to impress this year.

All these backs are more than just covering bases for the suspension. If we get two backs that start lighting it up, Rice may wind up on the pine.

More camp meat to push Rice and Pierce. Low risk/some potential reward.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

I also see potential in Wood. I'm sure some people have colored him gone since the Forsett signing. I don't necessarily see it that way. Wood got off on the wrong foot in the pros, but I think there might be a good NFL RB in there.