Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

One On One Interview With Joe

The first one on one interview with Joe after the 2013 season.

Some Highlights:
    - He explains why he and his receivers could not get together during the offseason.
    - Talks about Kubiak's new system
    - Says he wasn't surprised that Oz went defense in the draft.
    - Excited about the additions to the offense
    - Touched on Ray Rice's situation

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-f72609e10336
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Re: One On One Interview With Joe

I reserved the criticism on Joe about not throwing to his receivers in April, but his answers left me somewhat disappointed here. His biggest focus is on how it'd be so much easier if they could use the team facility. IF THAT WAS THE BIGGEST HANGUP, how hard is it to call up a college/HS/local spot with a field and book some time? That's what all these other guys are doing in the NFL. His other reason was about not having the playbook or terminology, which is fine, but couldn't they just run some generic routes and work on comfort level or timing? Heck, he admitted that he had his brother running routes, without knowing what offense he was going to, to prep for the draft. I think doing that kind of practice would've been helpful to allow them to focus on the playbook/terminology now in OTAs and camps.

It's fine, if they come out of the gate clicking, it's no big deal. But if it takes him 3-4 games to get right, that is going to become a BIG topic in Baltimore sports talk.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

This is enough for me:

"While Flacco and the receivers didn’t meet up for off-campus workouts, they have been in Baltimore for voluntary workouts the last month. Flacco, Smith, Smith Sr., Pitta, Jones, Marlon Brown, Ray Rice, and Owen Daniels have all been consistent participants in the program and have since been able to learn Kubiak’s system in the classroom."

This is so over-blown and I cannot wait for real football discussion to come up (of course, with some media that will never happen).

For me, I want to simply see how he does. The dog-and-pony show that they are screaming for in the off-season means nothing in and of itself. I only care about results. If your way of doing it works for you, then so be it. There will, of course, be serious blow-back if he does not hit the ground running; but that is his risk.

As to the interview, it was not very impressive and did leave a lot to be desired.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I reserved the criticism on Joe about not throwing to his receivers in April, but his answers left me somewhat disappointed here. His biggest focus is on how it'd be so much easier if they could use the team facility. IF THAT WAS THE BIGGEST HANGUP, how hard is it to call up a college/HS/local spot with a field and book some time? That's what all these other guys are doing in the NFL. His other reason was about not having the playbook or terminology, which is fine, but couldn't they just run some generic routes and work on comfort level or timing? Heck, he admitted that he had his brother running routes, without knowing what offense he was going to, to prep for the draft. I think doing that kind of practice would've been helpful to allow them to focus on the playbook/terminology now in OTAs and camps.

It's fine, if they come out of the gate clicking, it's no big deal. But if it takes him 3-4 games to get right, that is going to become a BIG topic in Baltimore sports talk.
    Yeah, I think if there was ever a year where it would have been beneficial to have these "throwing sessions", this year would have been it. New players, new system. Just getting to know these guys on a personal level may have some benefits.

On the other hand, I can understand how difficult it might be to coordinate with everyone's schedule. Joe has 2 young kids now and I'm sure those obligations are top priority in the offseason. He talked a bit about that in the interview. Then consider the others schedules and it becomes even more complicated. Also, these guys have a relatively short offseason, and I can understand not wanting to give up their time to football. I'm not just making excuses for them, but I do understand that it is not as simple as calling guys up and meeting up at the local HS field.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

How about they didn't meet up for offseason workouts (aka lets go play catch in my backyard) because they have lives and families they don't see to much form July to January.

There is no requirement to meet up in the OFFESEASON to play catch. And the fact they didn't doesn't concern me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Yeah, I think if there was ever a year where it would have been beneficial to have these "throwing sessions", this year would have been it. New players, new system. Just getting to know these guys on a personal level may have some benefits.
    That's why, as stated in the article, they have all been active and consistent participants in the voluntary workouts as well as in the classroom learning Kubiak's system. I'm very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Seriously? And, Vinny the Moron has already discussed it.

This is kinda dissappointing. Big Ben, Peyton and Brady regularly schedule off season workouts with their receivers and it's no wonder they have such good chemistry with their guys, while Flacco often looks out of rhythm.

I assume it'd be hard to get any chemistry or timing down when guys are basically in the dark about how a play is going to be run outside of what it looks like on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    This is kinda dissappointing. Big Ben, Peyton and Brady regularly schedule off season workouts with their receivers and it's no wonder they have such good chemistry with their guys, while Flacco often looks out of rhythm.
    ... as has RG 3rd Grade, Mark Sanchez and Eli Manning. I think that Peyton and Brady would be pretty good even if they did not do that, and Big Ben's success is just as much on breaking tackles and scrambling around to heave the ball - which I am sure they do not practice.

If somebody has a formula that proves that this off-season activity equals Super Bowl wins, please point me in that direction. Regardless, what works for one does not automatically work for someone else.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    ... as has RG 3rd Grade, Mark Sanchez and Eli Manning. I think that Peyton and Brady would be pretty good even if they did not do that, and Big Ben's success is just as much on breaking tackles and scrambling around to heave the ball - which I am sure they do not practice.

If somebody has a formula that proves that this off-season activity equals Super Bowl wins, please point me in that direction. Regardless, what works for one does not automatically work for someone else.
    :word