Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Not a joke: Democrats to try to limit free speech by amending the Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So if were going to hold what their intentions were, why dont we start there? which this amendment is actually trying to preserve.
    Huh?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Not a joke: Democrats to try to limit free speech by amending the Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What's being proposed isn't a law.

It's an amendment to the Constitution.
    I understand that, my point was the limit on the government is supposed to be clear and easy to understand, despite their forays into limiting speech. This amendment goes clearly against one of the bell-weather guarantees we have and it should be shit-canned post-haste, as should any law attempting to limit speech, especially political speech.

The point is that arguing that the First Amendment applies to groups of people is perfectly sensible. I gave the arguments as to why. I have yet to hear an argument as to why it shouldn't apply (or hasn't applied) to groups of people.
    Free speech, especially political speech, should not be limited in any way, shape, or form. Once you start limiting it at all you open up Pandora's box. NO LAW, NONE, ZERO; see the first amendment. No amendment should be even considered that would chip away at this. NO LAW, NONE, ZERO.

Some of us treasure liberty, even if it allows speech we don't like. AAMOF, IT MUST ALLOW SPEECH WE DON'T LIKE OR IT IS NOT LIBERTY!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think its funny that we go back to the constitution and say it cant be amended because it says "no law" limiting free speech. our forefathers had no idea how big politics would be in this country. They wanted politicians to be farmers and firefighters and store owners just as much as lawyers, Drs, and whatever. The plan was never for politics to be a career path. So if were going to hold what their intentions were, why dont we start there? which this amendment is actually trying to preserve.
    They didn't want any limitations on free speech, especially political speech, because they understood how any limitation would open the door for all kinds of restrictions.

This amendment is a limitation on speech, it is not freedom of speech.

Do they teach civics in schools anymore? Logic, reason, fore-thought?