Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Who woulda "thunk": Billick OK with platooning QBs

I think Vinny Testeverde is available!!!For those who still dont like KB's ability...or maybe a trade for Rex Grossman!!!!(sarcasm intended)
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Amen!

I posted the message below in the PTI Topic thread but it applies here too ...

I think my post about self loathing Ravens fans is more true now than when I first posted it.

For those who think McNair is washed up, please go to nfl.com and see his stats and QB rating. Not his best, but certainly not "end of career" stats.

For those hating on Boller, please go to nfl.com and see his stats and QB rating. Starting to see my point?

We have two very good QB's -- one looking towards the future and one looking at the twilight. This is what some people call this a good problem to have. McBoller has been a good combo thus far.

Is that really such a bad position to be in?
    :grbac:

So because people disagree that platooning QBs in the NFL is a bad idea (and very rarely successful I might add) they are self loathing?

Do you think you've discovered something unique about this board?

I got news for you. This is what almost every sports message board is like. It's not about self loathing.

Really, get over it.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 09-27-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    :grbac:

So because people disagree that platooning QBs in the NFL is a bad idea (and very rarely successful I might add) they are self loathing?

Do you think you've discovered something unique about this board?

I got news for you. This is what almost every sports message board is like. It's not about self loathing.

Really, get over it.

PP
    Rarely successful huh? And you base this on what? Just a few examples of platooning that creates a future starter (and there are more) ....

Joe Montana / Steve Young
    Ty Detmer / Donovan McNabb
    Doug Williams / Mark Rypien (and that pains me because I hate giving the skins props at all)

As for self-loathing ... well, since I never called you out by name but yet you responded ... that kind of speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Rarely successful huh? And you base this on what? Just a few examples of platooning that creates a future starter (and there are more) ....

Joe Montana / Steve Young
    Ty Detmer / Donovan McNabb
    Doug Williams / Mark Rypien (and that pains me because I hate giving the skins props at all)

As for self-loathing ... well, since I never called you out by name but yet you responded ... that kind of speaks for itself.
    The fact that you think Montana and Young platooned pretty much shows your knowledge of that situation.

Your other examples weren't platooning. Detmer (and Doug Pederson) were crappy vets who the Eagles had playing in front of a rookie QB in McNabb who they didn't want to rush into action.

Please give me an example of an NFL team that used a real platoon system (not the examples that you provided which were not platooning situations) for the majority of a season. They are few and far between and certainly didn't win anything of note.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 09-27-2007 at 10:23 PM.

I dont know how being a self loathing ravens fan became an issue or how anyone can determine that. What i do know is that platooning can be a receipe for disaster. Its simple put 2 qbs in harms way and both can get injured. I dont want this to happen.

PP is right, there aren't any good examples of platooning qbs who won anythng.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    I dont know how being a self loathing ravens fan became an issue or how anyone can determine that. What i do know is that platooning can be a receipe for disaster. Its simple put 2 qbs in harms way and both can get injured. I dont want this to happen.

PP is right, there aren't any good examples of platooning qbs who won anythng.
    Agreed but that wasnt my point.

My examples are very clear and accurate examples of times when an older QB and the young upstart QB shared time for a while with the hopes that one day the younger QB takes over.

Im NOT saying Boller will become a McNabb, Young or Montana. McNair was brought here to win games, but I guarantee BB has told McNair he will be Boller's mentor. Remember, BB put a LOT of time and energy into Boller. BB has a huge ego and NEEDS Boller to succeed.

I AM saying that "raising" a young QB by platooning does work and has a track record of success. A lot on the boards are saying it doesnt work but have yet to provide examples of how it didnt work.

I agree that platooning is not the best way to go. BUT, since we're doing it and we're 2-0 while doing it, why not play it out and see where it goes?

If BB blows it, I will be the first one to say so.

As for the self-loathing fans, they speak for themselves and you are most definitely NOT one of them. You speak with facts along with your passion. The SLF's speak with only emotion and its 99.9% negative about the team they supposidly love.

Stinky, I think McNair was told he was being brought here to win games. I am pretty sure I recall public statements to that effect at the time.

Undoubtedly it was *understood* that Boller would be able to learn from McNair, but I do not think McNair was told he was coming here to teach. That would have been insulting to someone who might feel he's perfectly capable of playing for a few more years.

Pardon me for quibbling, but it's a slow day at work. ;)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Stinky, I think McNair was told he was being brought here to win games. I am pretty sure I recall public statements to that effect at the time.

Undoubtedly it was *understood* that Boller would be able to learn from McNair, but I do not think McNair was told he was coming here to teach. That would have been insulting to someone who might feel he's perfectly capable of playing for a few more years.

Pardon me for quibbling, but it's a slow day at work. ;)
    No need for pardons .... I enjoy the debate ...

And with respect, I think you're wrong. Here are some articles that talk about Mcnair's capacity as both winning QB and Boller mentor.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...6&view=archive
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...-steve-mcnair/
    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/14111.html

I don't disagree Boller can and should learn from McNair every second he has that opportunity.

I'm just disagreeing with this:
    I guarantee BB has told McNair he will be Boller's mentor.
    I think McNair was specifically *not* told that, but rather told he is here to win football games. Any learning done by Boller is icing on the cake, and Boller's responsibility. That's all I was saying, and the articles you link to are consistent with that.

Again, it's just quibbling on a slow day, not a significant disagreement as I see it.

Thanks for the links.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I don't disagree Boller can and should learn from McNair every second he has that opportunity.

I'm just disagreeing with this:

I think McNair was specifically *not* told that, but rather told he is here to win football games. Any learning done by Boller is icing on the cake, and Boller's responsibility. That's all I was saying, and the articles you link to are consistent with that.

Again, it's just quibbling on a slow day, not a significant disagreement as I see it.

Thanks for the links.
    Me too .... took a personal day due to a migraine and came here thinking it would relax me .... :insane: