Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Who woulda "thunk": Billick OK with platooning QBs

I agree with the last post. Boller is getting time to play so he'll be ready for next year. The Ravens are going to ride McNair this year. This might be McNairs last chance to get his ring. Let's all hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I agree 100%

We are focusing so much on this and meanwhile our defense has surrendered 2 big 4th quarter leads, AT HOME, in back to back games.

My worry lies there.

Not on the QB forum.

PP

And while we need to fix our defense and QUICK...............

Isn't it nice to NOT have to worry about the offense for once in 7 years?

BB directed the team to a 13-3 season last year. He took the team to a Super Bowl.

Perhaps it is worth considering the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens has a better idea about the squad than we do.

(In the interest of full disclosure) I've often ranted about the horrible play of one "My man Kyle". At the same time I've always praised the fact that he has a great story and is a tough MF. Who among us doesn't want to see KB succeed?

I like KB better than Carr, Harrington, Lossman, Grossman...and drum roll please...KB is better than Leinart.

Is it possible that spending a year behind the clipboard was just what the doctor ordered? I vote YES!

It hasn't been so horrible this season. In fact this new concept of having a "closer", (if that is what we are observing) is innovative and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGlennDale View Post
    Who among us doesn't want to see KB succeed?
    Is that a serious question?

In fact this new concept of having a "closer", (if that is what we are observing) is innovative and interesting.
    Agree. In our circumstance: McNair is running out of gas. Assuming that his turnovers were an aberration and that he can help the team win some games -- if his life expectancy can be stretched out over a full 16 game season via platooning, then Billick's approach should pay off. In three games, it has worked, so why not 16 games?

In any event: if this succeeds, Billick should remember to credit me & Greg when he gets the Coach of the Year award.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Is that a serious question?
    I love the KB story. I grew up in California and KB is loved out there.

I've railed against him in the past (rightfully so).

Today, I like what I see (rightfully so).

Football aside, KB is a great guy! Go get em Kyle!

No, we don't have a QBC (quarterback controversya) yet, but I don't have to be Karnak to maybe, just maybe, see one forming on the horizon. Living in Florida means we watch little disturbances just forming very carefully. Sometimes they turn into hurricanes.

Good. So far the season and the team both have been a little boring. There's nothing like a rip-roaring QBC to get the emotions and blood stirring. <G>
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

7. Re: Who woulda "thunk": Billick OK with platooning QBs

Hey, whatever wins games. Overall, I am noticing an improvement w/ the offense, regardless of the QB. I think that once this O line get a few more games under their belt togeather w/ Willis the running game will be top 10 by season's end. I think that they will gel into a better pass blocking unit as well helping McNair or Boller. With Clayton on the mend, once he returns to full health and gets up to speed our offense will be significantly better by December than it is now. Look at the progress we made last year over a short span of time.

My issue is the slippage of the Defense in the 4th quarter, if we can get that resolved. I think this team will set itself up for a DEEP playoff run....regardless of WHO they play!!!

BB directed the team to a 13-3 season last year. He took the team to a Super Bowl.

Perhaps it is worth considering the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens has a better idea about the squad than we do.
    Right, because Billick has such a great track record for managing quarterbacks since 1999.

Time for another "leap of faith"?

I think one of the reasons Billick is doing this is to give KB some reps in the event McNair becomes seriously hurt during the season. If McNair played every minute of every game and got hurt badly, KB would be stone cold.

This way, he gets a little playing time, which builds confidence and adds to his experience level. Steve McNair is still the starter. Everyone knows it.

Steve McNair is the starter. Kyle Boller is the backup.

Questions about what might happen "if McNair is healthy" are kind of irrelevant, because McNair is not likely going to be "healthy" again all year, not 100%.

So it'll always be a BB judgment call, which is what it's been so far this year, and what it is on other teams too.

This is non-news, in my opinion. It is a nice attaboy for Boller, an acknowledgment that he's performed at that high level this year, but that's it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Platooning isn't t he long-term solution, but it sure is reaping dividends right now. Thus, no complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Platooning isn't t he long-term solution, but it sure is reaping dividends right now. Thus, no complaints here.
    Amen!

I posted the message below in the PTI Topic thread but it applies here too ...

I think my post about self loathing Ravens fans is more true now than when I first posted it.

For those who think McNair is washed up, please go to nfl.com and see his stats and QB rating. Not his best, but certainly not "end of career" stats.

For those hating on Boller, please go to nfl.com and see his stats and QB rating. Starting to see my point?

We have two very good QB's -- one looking towards the future and one looking at the twilight. This is what some people call this a good problem to have. McBoller has been a good combo thus far.

Is that really such a bad position to be in?