Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I think this has been a very good Off-Season for the Baltimore Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree...I was not a big fan of the draft either, but it wasn't quite a disaster. C+ to B- sounds about right to me...especially if Hurst/Camp wind up being contributing players.

NB is a concern...and in today's NFL, it's a rather large one, but other than that spot, and RT, we seem to have solid depth and some good players at most other positions. We need guys like Asa and Wagner to step up into NFL starting level contributers IMHO.
    I like Asa and Wagner, as OPTIONS for their respective spots, but IMO, Hurst is the only legitimate competition at either, and he might not be healthy enough to start the year. We don't need Pro Bowlers to push for those jobs, but another pair of players of at least similar ilk would make me MUCH more comfortable.

Example, fi Wagner were to beat out Winston, I'd be happier then watching Wagner get handed the spot... Winston is no world beater, but is at least a credible NFL player.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I like Asa and Wagner, as OPTIONS for their respective spots, but IMO, Hurst is the only legitimate competition at either, and he might not be healthy enough to start the year. We don't need Pro Bowlers to push for those jobs, but another pair of players of at least similar ilk would make me MUCH more comfortable.

Example, fi Wagner were to beat out Winston, I'd be happier then watching Wagner get handed the spot... Winston is no world beater, but is at least a credible NFL player.
    I hear you and an I totally understand, but to me, competition would be great...I don't care how it happens though, those 2 IMHO need to become quality NFL players for us to go where we want to go. Winston to me is no longer really a credible NFL player..he only is in name only, so him here and starting would mean a big hole at RT.

I just want them to rise to the level that we need...not great, but solid at least, by any means necessary. They are going to be key players this year...either the team got great value on solid starters, or we are throwing out Ethan Brown/Corey Fuller level vets out there IMHO because that seems to be all that's left out there in UFA.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I hear you and an I totally understand, but to me, competition would be great...I don't care how it happens though, those 2 IMHO need to become quality NFL players for us to go where we want to go. Winston to me is no longer really a credible NFL player..he only is in name only, so him here and starting would mean a big hole at RT.

I just want them to rise to the level that we need...not great, but solid at least, by any means necessary. They are going to be key players this year...either the team got great value on solid starters, or we are throwing out Ethan Brown/Corey Fuller level vets out there IMHO because that seems to be all that's left out there in UFA.
    His last 2 years have been disappointing, but not worse then Oher, really.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Like we should listen to Kiper. He's nothing more than a ESPN talking head with "some" inside sources that are most of the time teams telling porky pies, or irrelevant in the end (like the Ravens/Ebron speculation). The only guys I listen to are Mayock and Cosell, they actually know and understand the film. I'm not even sure Kiper or McShay know how to study game film any better than any of us on this board.
    Kiper's been at this for more than 30 years. Of course he's better at it than you are.

And what makes Mayock so special? The only reason why he's so beloved is because he's the one who doesn't work for ESPN.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Kiper's been at this for more than 30 years. Of course he's better at it than you are.

And what makes Mayock so special? The only reason why he's so beloved is because he's the one who doesn't work for ESPN.
    I never thought of it this way.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Mayock also sounds educated :p
    Kiper sounds like an opinionated Charlie Eckman, not that I have anything against Mel (and I really appreciated Eckman's honesty like Fatso's), Mayock comes off smoother, Kiper rougher/brasher but both have a lot of cred as opposed to McShay/Dukes drivel
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I do hope Hurst can step up in camp and compete with Wagner for RT spot. I do hope KO stay at LG. He is a beast there. I think the OLINE can get back to being a good OLINE if we can get a in house to man that RT spot that's not KO.

As far as CB, it's going to be something to watch. Maybe one or two of the undrafted can shine and get on 53 man roster. Asa, I do hope the dude can play a season for once. Idk, he got skills but needs the brain. Samuel or any Vet cut in camps could be the fall back if none step up to join the Ravens backfield.
    And I can't wait to not be able to call our offense from the couch lmao
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

Blog Entries

I don't really care if he's been doing it for 30 years, that's irrelevant when it comes to the draft imo. My point was, just because Kiper gives out specific grades for each team, that doesn't mean we should put much stock into any of that. We haven't even seen these guys play, so draft grading is silly.

Are you seriously discounting Mayock's credibility? He has been given multiple job offers to be a GM and has turned them down to continue to do what he does best, evaluate players. This is why he he get's so much feedback from teams, because they respect his opinion.

Also, just because someone has been doing something for 30 years doesn't mean they are good at it. McShay is a clown, and is purely on ESPN as a reporter. I agree with Leach when he says he doubts he could do a better job than some of us. He just seems like a guy with casual football experience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Are you seriously discounting Mayock's credibility? He has been given multiple job offers to be a GM and has turned them down to continue to do what he does best, evaluate players. This is why he he get's so much feedback from teams, because they respect his opinion.
    first time i heard somebody question mayocks credentials. The guy seems much more in tune with play evaluation than the other two. His board usuallys shakes out much closer to reality for a reason.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    His last 2 years have been disappointing, but not worse then Oher, really.
    I guess the question is, do you consider Oher a solid NFL level starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I would say so far so good. Im not nearly as down on the draft as I was the first couple of days and in fact I am almost optimistic about it. There were still a couple reaches iMO but that's why Oz and ED and those guys get the big bucks and I don't LOL.

I don't know a lot about Hurst but I see a lot of people pegging him in to the RT slot. I understand he was injured and all but is he really that good to just hand a UDFA the job like that? Time will tell I guess but we really need some more depth there. (and no it doesn't have to be Winston.... prefer it not be actually)

Im hoping for the best with Campanero but I have a feeling hell wind up like Mellete last year and Streeter etc before him. (eg IRed or PSed) Not sure if we look for a mid level June 1 cut there for extra depth.

THis sounds crazy but I was a little disappointed Matt F was cut. I thought he had some real potential and just needed some field time to show it. I hope he catches on somewhere but doesn't burn us in the future.

Along those lines Ill be interested to see how Kubiak wants to use Kyle J...... haven't heard his name much this offseason but I hope hes working hard and ready to take a big role this year.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect