Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Browns

Blog Entries
    Jimmy Haslaam is sooooo bad

Re: The Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The storyline on Manziel just keeps getting weirder... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...134922002.html
    That's odd.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

for some reason people forget when looking at whitner and dansby that they also lost 2 great players that those older guys are replacing. Its a wash at best and imo, a slight downgrade due to age and deteriorating skills.

They have made some good moves and I love their draft outside of Manziel. Getting Pierre Desir in the 4th when you already have Haden and Gilbert was a steal. They should be set for years now at DB. Bitonio makes their line that much better. West should be able to make an immediate impact, especially when Tate is hurt (which he will be).

their Free agent moves are flashier than usual but wreak of desperation to me. Tate is a good RB. Im just not sure if he can handle the load of a #1 back. Hes a guy that as a reserve has never even played 16 games. Hawkings should come in and be a good slot guy for them. I like the Miles Austin pickup as well, but lets call it what it is, a major down grade from Gordon (if he remains healthy). earl bennet will be an alright addition but i dont expect much from him.

Hoyer is going to be the starter until the owner steps in. Then theyll be stuck with a one read QB that runs in one of the most brutal divisions in football as far as defenses go. I see manziel as a big flop so theres really not a ton of reason to be optimistic about the future. Their best hope is Hoyer starts and proves to be the better QB (which I think he is and will be) to the point that they win some games early and they stick with him. That likely wont happen and the switch will be made and the browns will be set back 4-5 years looking for another QB. Their Defense will remain strong, but that hasnt helped them win the last couple of years so it wont change anything now either.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Hoyer is going to be the starter until the owner steps in. Then theyll be stuck with a one read QB that runs in one of the most brutal divisions in football as far as defenses go. I see manziel as a big flop so theres really not a ton of reason to be optimistic about the future. Their best hope is Hoyer starts and proves to be the better QB (which I think he is and will be) to the point that they win some games early and they stick with him. That likely wont happen and the switch will be made and the browns will be set back 4-5 years looking for another QB. Their Defense will remain strong, but that hasnt helped them win the last couple of years so it wont change anything now either.
    Great point. Manziel is listed as 6'0", 210 lbs. He's a tiny guy who runs...a lot. The tough defenses of the AFC North are gonna bang him up.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I'm not at all dismissive of Brit's original point. Fact is, the Brownies have had a good offseason, apart from the Josh Gordon thing. The team already had a good deal of talent, and gave us a fair amount of trouble last year - and that was with QB's named Brandon Weedon and Jason Campbell. So I can't blame Cleveland fans for getting excited.

That said, the proof is in the pudding. Despite the talent and the improvement "on paper", the Browns will have to go out and prove they're a better team by winning more consistently. Part of this will have to do with Manziel, of course. If ever there were a boom or bust type of player coming into the pro ranks, it would seem to be him. But it's more than that. Jimmy Haslam doesn't strike me as the sort of owner to instill a long-term winning culture. The guy isn't exactly a Mara/Rooney/Biscotti type. So while I think the Browns have potential to threaten the rest of the division, that doesn't mean they'll be battling for playoff spots come Week 17. Only time will tell.

In related news, I see the Browns just released Ed Dicks ...I mean, Greg Little.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I've told those around me that Cleveland might be a QB away. Unfortunately, at least for them, I think they got the wrong QB.
    And they lost their #! receiver so now they're a QB and receiver away.

Blog Entries

Earl Bennett was a great pick up for them, he's actually a guy I would have been very interested in. He had the lowest drop rate in the NFL. Great hands, reliable guy.

Greg Little released. Any interest in giving him a look-see?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Earl Bennett was a great pick up for them, he's actually a guy I would have been very interested in. He had the lowest drop rate in the NFL. Great hands, reliable guy.
    he also had an average ypc of 7. He basically played the safety valve position for them when they sent martellus deep. 72% for being 8 yards or less away from the line isnt necessarily as good as it would seem. Hes not a bad player, hes just not a difference maker imo.
    -JAB

Well, I guess Little could replace the drop rate (non)production of the now departed Dickson & Doss.

No thanks. I want receivers who can hold onto the ball.

Blog Entries

About as much as any other player the Browns cut....which is to say 0 interest