Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the return game

Re: the return game

it was reported on WNST that Reed and Clayton are back there in practice and this is utterly moronic if true. brushing up on their skills, ok. being the replacement should Sams not be able to go, never. Ross should be the "next man up." you can not expose two of your stars to the possibility of injury like that. especially when Ross is on this team.
    I would say that they are brushing up on thier skills. I find it highly unlikely that Billick would even think about using Clayton or Reed to replace Sams. Why would Ross even be on the active roster? I don't see Ross ever being used in the Tailback role unless there is a rash of injuries.

Clayton could be a thought, but Reed, No Way. Reed has not been very good at returning punts anyway. With our recieving options limited, Clayton should not be a thought either.
    Last edited by Heap86; 10-05-2006 at 02:26 PM.

I don't understand why they wouldn't use Ross if Sams can't go.

Sams has not been suspended by the NFL and may not be until after the season. i was just stating what was being reported in case others did not hear it.

as for a reason why Sams would not be back there? maybe Billick would put Sams into his doghouse for stupidity? not sure, but they were still fielding punts.

remember when CMac wanted to up his contract numbers and kept screwing up punts? granted, the alternative was LaMont Frightful, but we had other people that could have gone back there. CMac was actually playing well at that time.

and yes, i do remember when Q almost tore his leg up returning for us.

I've been watching Ross return kicks in college the last few years, the Ravens will be fine. The main reason he made the team is because of his return abilities so have a little faith in the guy. He made the roster for just this scenario, to be able to fill in and not skip a beat. It is called depth, that is a good thing...

I remember back in the late 80's, the 49ers had John Taylor returning punts for them. I would consider Taylor a more dangerous receiver than Mark Clayton.

I'm not saying I agree with having a fulltime starter as a kick returner, but Bill Walsh did try that once.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

No way,no way at all should Reed be back there.He is getting up gimpy or dinged enough each game as it is,without returning kicks.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    No way,no way at all should Reed be back there.He is getting up gimpy or dinged enough each game as it is,without returning kicks.
    Not only that, but as elusive a runner as Ed is, he does have a tendency to hold the rock exposed, one handed, and waving it around like a baton in a relay race. I'd rather we didn't fumble a punt return on our own 30, thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Demetrius Williams would be ahead of Moore, and possibly Darling.
    My point is, that if Clayton was hurt, Clarence Moore would probably be active and used as our #3 and maybe even #2 since he has more game experience than Demetrius Williams at the moment. I am sure they would activate him over Devard Darling.

Clayton is very elusive and is a play maker, he would probably be an excellent punt returner. Are punt returners any more likely to get hurt returning a punt in comparison to a WR catching a pass?
    A punt returner isn't running in stride with the ball when they are catching it, like a wide receiver is. They are pretty much a standing duck, and need to rely on their speical teams return coverage to block for them as they look up in the air to follow and catch the ball.

Besides, Mark Clayton is our #2 WR and has made big clutch plays for us the last two weeks when we really needed it. I would much rather see him lining up out there opposite of Derrick Mason when the offense is on the field than sitting on the sidelines in street clothes because he was returning punts.

That's not a risk the RAVENS should be taking, especially with Cory Ross collecting an NFL paycheck for being on this team.

This is all kind of moot anyways, because it's already been confirmed that Sams IS playing Monday night. Also, according to Aaron, the trial could take place after this season, so he may not be suspended at all.